Author Topic: New York to New Jersey back to New York  (Read 572 times)

Offline superdragtn

• Babyface
New York to New Jersey back to New York
« on: June 27, 2018, 01:23:24 PM »
Random question out of curiosity - does anyone have an idea why the band is playing (played) two nights at MSG, then to Newark only to come back for one more go at MSG?

It just seems odd.  I think it was the 360 tour where they actually had 3 stage sets so that they could be tearing down one, playing a show and setting up for another.  Do they have more than one stage setup for this tour so that they may still be set up at MSG and subsequently play in New Jersey?  Otherwise, it would seem like a waste of money to tear down, setup somewhere else for a night, only to come back to MSG and set up again.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
Re: New York to New Jersey back to New York
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »
It could be scheduling at MSG. It could be they want some economic stimulus for NJ. Who knows, the crew are being paid so why not use them?

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 09:32:56 PM »
It doesn’t make sense to do the shows consecutively then head to nj. Doing 2 shows then no then coming back makes a lot more sense. That time in between also gives NYers a chance to forget that u2 was in town, so they’ll have interest when they return

Offline gasface257

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 07:34:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Random question out of curiosity - does anyone have an idea why the band is playing (played) two nights at MSG, then to Newark only to come back for one more go at MSG?

It just seems odd.  I think it was the 360 tour where they actually had 3 stage sets so that they could be tearing down one, playing a show and setting up for another.  Do they have more than one stage setup for this tour so that they may still be set up at MSG and subsequently play in New Jersey?  Otherwise, it would seem like a waste of money to tear down, setup somewhere else for a night, only to come back to MSG and set up again.

Sam Smith is scheduled to play MSG on Friday and Saturday. 

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »
I am disappointed that U2 has not decided to add any MSG shows.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login:

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 09:25:46 AM »

Sam Smith is scheduled to play MSG on Friday and Saturday. 

When Sam heard U2 were playing in Newark he sang 'Stay with Me'. But they left.

Online laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 09:45:01 AM »
Grooooooaaaaaaan.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 12:34:00 PM »
Hahaha thanks for posting I was wondering the same.

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 06:01:23 PM »
I am disappointed that U2 has not decided to add any MSG shows.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login:

Yes, u2 should prove their relevancy by doing at least 16 sold out nights

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 06:40:28 PM »
Also, the Prudential Center doesn't have anything booked on the 30th.  Why wouldn't U2 have just added a 2nd show in Newark on the 30th, instead of going back to MSG on the 1st?  I mean, the logistics are obvious, they could've saved themselves from having to pay the crew to tear down, transport and assemble the stage in another arena.  I know, I know... NJ vs NYC, yada yada, both arenas serve the same metropolitan area. 

I guess I have no idea how the concert business works.  Maybe they get paid more for playing at MSG or something. 

Offline gasface257

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 10:38:26 AM »
Also, the Prudential Center doesn't have anything booked on the 30th.  Why wouldn't U2 have just added a 2nd show in Newark on the 30th, instead of going back to MSG on the 1st?  I mean, the logistics are obvious, they could've saved themselves from having to pay the crew to tear down, transport and assemble the stage in another arena.  I know, I know... NJ vs NYC, yada yada, both arenas serve the same metropolitan area. 

I guess I have no idea how the concert business works.  Maybe they get paid more for playing at MSG or something.

There's this prestige about playing Madison Square Garden.  It bills itself as the world's most famous arena and outside of London's O2 Arena, hosts more events than any other venue. 

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 12:08:26 PM »

Interesting to note that for the July 1st show, there is an invite out to diplomats from all UN countries. 
Bono (and the rest of the band, I think) are lobbying the UN as part of the Irish effort for votes.  Up for grabs is a rotational seat on the UN Security Council, and Ireland are up against Canada and Norway.  The Irish Embassy/Irish Government are reportedly putting on a cultural campaign around 'taste of Ireland' in the vicinity of the UN HQ in NYC next week which may include culinary delights, performers, art etc.  U2's show in MSG is really the 'icing on the cake' (food reference alert!) of the whole effort.  I am assuming the all important vote is in the first week or so of July. 
With the amount of Irish-Americans in the general area, Ireland are going all out to capitalise on this bid.
Hence the return to MSG on July 1st.

Online laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 12:53:42 PM »
I have to say, if being wined and dined and sent to a rock and roll concert has any effect on who gets a seat on the UNSC, we're doing it wrong.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 04:05:02 PM »
I have to say, if being wined and dined and sent to a rock and roll concert has any effect on who gets a seat on the UNSC, we're doing it wrong.

hahhahah :)

Online laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 07:34:32 PM »
I'm... not remotely kidding.