Author Topic: Adam clayton 2019 unlikely  (Read 2564 times)

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
Adam clayton 2019 unlikely
« on: June 29, 2018, 03:34:44 PM »
ďThis is the end of a four-year cycle of work and we really have no plans going into next year. We have got to the point where this is a full stop at the end of this project. We're looking at next year as being a year of regrouping.Ē

So, Australia and Japan wont see them until another 4 years Iím guessing. They definitely wonít release anything 2019.

Offline MrsZoo

• Babyface
  • Midnight is where the day begins
Re: Adam clayton 2019 unlikely
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 06:26:30 PM »
Hi, what interview was this? It seems an awful shame if true but I suppose the lads arenít getting any younger.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 08:19:47 PM »
They certainly deserve some time off in 2019.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 10:43:25 PM »
Sad news for Australia, New Zealand, Japan and yes places like Texas and Florida. I say Texas and Florida because those states have always had U2 shows promoting new U2 albums every tour that has touched North America from the Boy Tour through the 360 tour. All Texas got in this decade was two Joshua Tree shows, that's it.

I think both Songs Of Innocence and Songs of Experience deserved more road work promoting both albums.

Looks like they will rest in 2019. Write music and look at some of their older non-releases stuff in 2020. Then record and release a new album at the end of 2021, probably Songs of Ascent.

Global stadium tour to follow in 2022-2023. Australia might not see U2 until 2023.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 10:46:31 PM »
It's a shame that they no longer care about fans in the Southern Hemisphere and prefer to instead keep giving America figurative blowjobs whilst skipping Australia/NZ/Asia for the third tour in a row. Good way to pi*s off your fanbase.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 11:48:27 PM »
Wons, personally I expect the next album to be released much later than that. Start work on the next album in mid-2020, work for a year without coming close to being satisfied with material for the next album, then stop to prep for an AB/Zoo TV 30th anniversary tour. (As much as the band doesn't want to become a nostalgia act, the success of the TJT anniversary tour will compel them to do that for AB as well.) Tour the 30th anniversary for at least six months in 2022, then break toward the end of the year. Resume work on the latest album in 2023 and finally finish in 2024. Release the new album sometime that year (probably in the October/November timeframe), then tour in 2025.

Yeah, I'm being a bit pessimistic based upon past behavioral patterns. I hope I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 11:50:51 PM by Chip »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 12:05:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wons, personally I expect the next album to be released much later than that. Start work on the next album in mid-2020, work for a year without coming close to being satisfied with material for the next album, then stop to prep for an AB/Zoo TV 30th anniversary tour. (As much as the band doesn't want to become a nostalgia act, the success of the TJT anniversary tour will compel them to do that for AB as well.) Tour the 30th anniversary for at least six months in 2022, then break toward the end of the year. Resume work on the latest album in 2023 and finally finish in 2024. Release the new album sometime that year (probably in the October/November timeframe), then tour in 2025.

Yeah, I'm being a bit pessimistic based upon past behavioral patterns. I hope I'm wrong.

The problem with that theory is that its so centered around around the AB/ZOO TV 30th anniversary tour. The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 I think was a one off.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 12:13:13 AM »

The problem with that theory is that its so centered around around the AB/ZOO TV 30th anniversary tour. The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 I think was a one off.

I seem to recall that one of the band members recently said they would probably do one for AB. Of course, that's not a definite statement, but I think they will. I don't expect to see anniversary tours beyond that one (and personally am glad for their absence).

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 01:32:13 AM »

This is all very presumptuous to assume all these forthcoming albums and tours. There's nothing left for U2 to do as artists that they haven't already done. They struggled to make SOE. They've done the nostalgia tour with TJT 2017.

Read the tea leaves everybody...closing with '13', coming back home, final show of tour in Dublin.

And, Dublin 4 will not only be the last show of the tour, it'll turn out to be their final live show ever. It ends where it all began.

Of course, sure, maybe the band will be re-energized after a long layoff to come up with new material and a tour and all that. But it's gotta end at some point, they've had an amazing career, they're filthy rich (at least Bono), what else is left?

p.s., f yeah, absolutely, I'm going to Dublin 3 and 4. GA.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:39:59 AM by JaraSangASongAWeapon »

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 02:45:47 AM »

I seem to recall that one of the band members recently said they would probably do one for AB. Of course, that's not a definite statement, but I think they will. I don't expect to see anniversary tours beyond that one (and personally am glad for their absence).

It was a rolling stone interview in early 2017 but it wasnt exactly "we want a zootv reunion". The reported asked if it was possible, and their response was more "we havent thought about it but you never now since TJT happened". I doubt it will happen considering we already have acrobat. 2022/2023 seems pretty reasonable for an album release with a world tour in 2024/2025. Maybe theyll consider changing the GA to floor seats to accommodate the aging audience. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 02:49:12 AM by 64ac30 »

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 04:19:37 AM »
It's a shame that they no longer care about fans in the Southern Hemisphere and prefer to instead keep giving America figurative blowjobs whilst skipping Australia/NZ/Asia for the third tour in a row. Good way to pi*s off your fanbase.

I think it's a shame that you think they are obliged to travel to where the fans want them to travel!
They guys are almost 60, and traveling to Australia/NZ/Asia is not like traveling to the US, or traveling in Europe. It's a much longer flight to the Southern Hemisphere, and this is much more exhausting.
Maybe they were thinking of adding concerts there to e+I tour, but maybe now they see they can't do it?
Just listen to the interview, they're not getting younger and they need more to be done with them (Physio) prior and after each show, especially Larry. He seems to have slight health problems also due to the drumming, probably back problems and problems with his muscles and every part of his body that is strained by the drumming.

They deserve a break after four years of touring. Hopefully, e+I doesn't become their last tour.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:22:24 AM by Catlithco »

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 06:31:09 AM »

I think it's a shame that you think they are obliged to travel to where the fans want them to travel!
They guys are almost 60, and traveling to Australia/NZ/Asia is not like traveling to the US, or traveling in Europe. It's a much longer flight to the Southern Hemisphere, and this is much more exhausting.
Maybe they were thinking of adding concerts there to e+I tour, but maybe now they see they can't do it?
Just listen to the interview, they're not getting younger and they need more to be done with them (Physio) prior and after each show, especially Larry. He seems to have slight health problems also due to the drumming, probably back problems and problems with his muscles and every part of his body that is strained by the drumming.

They deserve a break after four years of touring. Hopefully, e+I doesn't become their last tour.

Are you really arguing they canít perform in Australia because they couldnít handle the flight time? Its a one time flight to get down there and Its not like theyíd be flying economy...

The reality is u2 isnít playing Australia because they donít have to and they really donít want to. Which is disappointing to the fans that have been waiting years. They could easily do concerts there, or even last year or even 3 years ago but they chose not to because itís not that important to them. It doesnít make u2 bad people. Itís just a matter of priority to them and choosing not to extend the tour to perform for that audience does speak to how important the matter is to them.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 06:43:38 AM »

Are you really arguing they canít perform in Australia because they couldnít handle the flight time? Its a one time flight to get down there and Its not like theyíd be flying economy...

The reality is u2 isnít playing Australia because they donít have to and they really donít want to. Which is disappointing to the fans that have been waiting years. They could easily do concerts there, or even last year or even 3 years ago but they chose not to because itís not that important to them. It doesnít make u2 bad people. Itís just a matter of priority to them and choosing not to extend the tour to perform for that audience does speak to how important the matter is to them.

Yeah, every other band has no trouble flying to Australia... even bands like the Rolling Stones that are a lot older. Hell, even Bon Jovi (similar age band) came 2010, 2013 and again later this year.
It probably comes down to Livenation calling the shots and only selecting the most lucrative markets. But it doesn't seem like the band are fussed either way. What makes it worse was Edge on Australian TV last year swearing that they "absolutely are coming". And now, not even a mention.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 07:29:37 AM »

This is all very presumptuous to assume all these forthcoming albums and tours. There's nothing left for U2 to do as artists that they haven't already done. They struggled to make SOE. They've done the nostalgia tour with TJT 2017.

Read the tea leaves everybody...closing with '13', coming back home, final show of tour in Dublin.

And, Dublin 4 will not only be the last show of the tour, it'll turn out to be their final live show ever. It ends where it all began.

Of course, sure, maybe the band will be re-energized after a long layoff to come up with new material and a tour and all that. But it's gotta end at some point, they've had an amazing career, they're filthy rich (at least Bono), what else is left?

p.s., f yeah, absolutely, I'm going to Dublin 3 and 4. GA.

You could have said that about the Joshua Tree Tour or the ZOO TV tour. They have been doing this for 40 years. Its what they love doing. They are not going to stop because there is NO REASON to stop. They have fun writing and recording new songs and playing them live to their fans. Its why the Rolling Stones are still touring. I expect U2 albums and tours to continue for the next 20 to 25 years. They are performing just as well as they have ever done at the moment.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 07:33:35 AM »

. Maybe theyll consider changing the GA to floor seats to accommodate the aging audience.

HELL NO!!!! GA is awesome! Best tickets in the house at the cheapest price. GA is still the most in demand ticket. Too many fans love it and the band loves the energy they get from the GA crowd.