Author Topic: Adam clayton 2019 unlikely  (Read 2527 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Adam clayton 2019 unlikely
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2018, 07:27:53 PM »
First class isn't even a factor. They have their own jet. Very nice one.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2018, 08:32:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Trying to put my bitterness about U2 not touring Australia for so long, I would be genuinely interested to hear the band's honest view of why they do endless laps of the US with the odd European jaunt to break up the US monotony. I'm over the patronising "oh, we'd love to play Australia' guff they've been putting out for years. If they genuinely wanted to tour Australia they'd make it happen. Wouldn't make enough money? Can't be bothered getting on a long-haul flight in First Class or on a private jet? Just a bit of honesty for once would be refreshing...
my guess is they don't have their logistics base set up there. Maybe there is no Principal Management Australia to familiarly and effectively handle their touring needs. As a downflow result (which the band obviously do not have to choose themselves), they don't know their favorite hotel/private plane charter co/caterers/ local crew co and truck ing co in Australiasia.

Also, their spending and investments are in USD and euros. Not AUD or some Asian currency. Yeah, currency can obviously be converted easily when you have lots of it earned.

Edit: what affects the band more is the comfort and familiarity of their homebase. U2 don't know Aust well enough to know if they like the posh hotels in Byron Bay? Surfers Paradise? Etc.

I bet they have 3 familiar home base locations in USA (NY, Malibu, maybe a third being Miami?) And at least 3 touring home base spots in EU (Dublin duh, Eze France homes, London)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 08:42:19 PM by skelter »

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2018, 08:34:04 PM »
First class isn't even a factor. They have their own jet. Very nice one.
No I think they lease a plane for each leg of the tour. So ei USA used 1 plane. Ei Europe will use another.

Idk.

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2018, 09:39:46 PM »
Trying to put my bitterness about U2 not touring Australia for so long, I would be genuinely interested to hear the band's honest view of why they do endless laps of the US with the odd European jaunt to break up the US monotony. I'm over the patronising "oh, we'd love to play Australia' guff they've been putting out for years. If they genuinely wanted to tour Australia they'd make it happen. Wouldn't make enough money? Can't be bothered getting on a long-haul flight in First Class or on a private jet? Just a bit of honesty for once would be refreshing...
my guess is they don't have their logistics base set up there. Maybe there is no Principal Management Australia to familiarly and effectively handle their touring needs. As a downflow result (which the band obviously do not have to choose themselves), they don't know their favorite hotel/private plane charter co/caterers/ local crew co and truck ing co in Australiasia.

Also, their spending and investments are in USD and euros. Not AUD or some Asian currency. Yeah, currency can obviously be converted easily when you have lots of it earned.

Edit: what affects the band more is the comfort and familiarity of their homebase. U2 don't know Aust well enough to know if they like the posh hotels in Byron Bay? Surfers Paradise? Etc.

I bet they have 3 familiar home base locations in USA (NY, Malibu, maybe a third being Miami?) And at least 3 touring home base spots in EU (Dublin duh, Eze France homes, London)
I understand your thinking, but they managed to tour up to and including 360, so I'm not sure the logistics argument carries much weight.

I would be willing to bet it's a money thing - I just wish they were honest about it.

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2018, 09:45:33 PM »
I have inside info. They’ve already begun planning for the next tour which will commence May 2022. This will be in support of the new album which is not a “Songs of “ trilogy. The tour will be indoors again and will begin in the US. While u2 won’t do a ZOOTV tour, this tour in support of the 15th album is also planned to have a heavy achtung portion in the set.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2018, 10:30:35 PM »
I have inside info. They’ve already begun planning for the next tour which will commence May 2022. This will be in support of the new album which is not a “Songs of “ trilogy. The tour will be indoors again and will begin in the US. While u2 won’t do a ZOOTV tour, this tour in support of the 15th album is also planned to have a heavy achtung portion in the set.

Oh, yes, please also tell us who helped Lee Harvey Oswald kill Kennedy while you're at it!

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2018, 11:34:01 PM »

Oh, yes, please also tell us who helped Lee Harvey Oswald kill Kennedy while you're at it!

Tbf, that's pretty much the same as what you were saying...

"I've heard on the grapevine it's all over. I am going to shoot everything everyone says down because I am quite smug about what I think are facts"

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2018, 12:01:11 AM »

"I've heard on the grapevine it's all over. I am going to shoot everything everyone says down because I am quite smug about what I think are facts"

I was being sarcastic. But the reality is what I’m saying will probably be 97% true give or take an extra year. Willie Williams rolling stone interview did say he was already in talks with Bono about the next tour. The IE “lightbulb” was thought of during the 360 tour

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2018, 12:23:16 AM »

I was being sarcastic. But the reality is what I’m saying will probably be 97% true give or take an extra year. Willie Williams rolling stone interview did say he was already in talks with Bono about the next tour. The IE “lightbulb” was thought of during the 360 tour

Probably.
Like I said, it's something you can't just switch off inside of you.

Still have a bad feeling about it all though

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2018, 01:05:32 AM »

Mmm, not really. I made a pretty solid case and tell me exactly what the band will do after Dublin 4? They're taking a break (fact) and that break will take them through their contract with Live Nation, and they will have no more contractual obligation to record or tour after March 2020 (another fact), unless they were to sign another deal, but as of now, we don't know if they will. I'm not out here like some misguided/delusional fans assuming they will launch back into business as usual in 2-3 years. What I've said is, we can't make any assumptions and I strongly believe Dublin 4 will turn out to be their final live show. I also strongly believe, based on what Joe O'Herlihy told a friend of mine, that Larry has had enough of touring. My whole argument is: we don't know their plans and we can't assume anything and that it *could* be the case that Dublin 4 will turn out to be the final show. If Larry decides that's enough, or another band member, then that's the end of the band, full stop.

Also, someone please make the case for U2 recording an album of new music and launching another tour cycle. What else do they have to say musically, after SOI/SOE? It's the closing of the book, it's coming home...ending the shows with '13' and bringing the prop house on stage. It's a big freaking tea leaf.

All I've done is make the case, strongly as I believe, that Dublin 4 will likely be it. Because there is nothing to indicate that they have plans to record an album of new music and tour, as of right now, and we can't assume that will change.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2018, 01:29:16 AM »

Mmm, not really. I made a pretty solid case and tell me exactly what the band will do after Dublin 4? They're taking a break (fact) and that break will take them through their contract with Live Nation, and they will have no more contractual obligation to record or tour after March 2020 (another fact), unless they were to sign another deal, but as of now, we don't know if they will. I'm not out here like some misguided/delusional fans assuming they will launch back into business as usual in 2-3 years. What I've said is, we can't make any assumptions and I strongly believe Dublin 4 will turn out to be their final live show. I also strongly believe, based on what Joe O'Herlihy told a friend of mine, that Larry has had enough of touring. My whole argument is: we don't know their plans and we can't assume anything and that it *could* be the case that Dublin 4 will turn out to be the final show. If Larry decides that's enough, or another band member, then that's the end of the band, full stop.

Also, someone please make the case for U2 recording an album of new music and launching another tour cycle. What else do they have to say musically, after SOI/SOE? It's the closing of the book, it's coming home...ending the shows with '13' and bringing the prop house on stage. It's a big freaking tea leaf.

All I've done is make the case, strongly as I believe, that Dublin 4 will likely be it. Because there is nothing to indicate that they have plans to record an album of new music and tour, as of right now, and we can't assume that will change.

As I've stated, I have the same feeling...

However, my fundamental issue with what your saying is "What have they got left to say musically?"
I find that to be a pile of sh**e to be perfectly honest.
What does Ed Sheeran have left to say musically? What do Coldplay? What do The Rolling Stones? What does Paul McCartney? What does Neil Young? etc etc.

Point is you can't base it off that alone. It's a rubbish argument.
Larry sick of touring, Bono with his health, wanting to spend time with their families etc all perfectly understandable and believable reasons but, having nothing left to say musically is not one of them, even when the bands themselves say it. As I've said, once you do it, you can't stop! There is always inspiration coming from somewhere.

I've heard Larry has been sick of touring for the last 18 years. I've heard The Edge and Adam say there will be more projects. I've read Willie Williams talking about the next tour. Point is none of us truly know.

Whilst I do get the feeling Dublin 4 could very well be it, it will be not be because of "having nothing left to say musically" because I can guarantee you more music will still be made after November. Whether touring is still on the agenda is another story

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2018, 01:51:40 AM »

However, my fundamental issue with what your saying is "What have they got left to say musically?"
What does Ed Sheeran have left to say musically? What do Coldplay? What do The Rolling Stones? What does Paul McCartney? What does Neil Young? etc etc.

Larry sick of touring, Bono with his health, wanting to spend time with their families etc all perfectly understandable and believable reasons but, having nothing left to say musically is not one of them, even when the bands themselves say it. As I've said, once you do it, you can't stop! There is always inspiration coming from somewhere.

I've heard Larry has been sick of touring for the last 18 years. I've heard The Edge and Adam say there will be more projects. I've read Willie Williams talking about the next tour. Point is none of us truly know.

Whilst I do get the feeling Dublin 4 could very well be it, it will be not be because of "having nothing left to say musically" because I can guarantee you more music will still be made after November. Whether touring is still on the agenda is another story

Well, that is the main point I've made in this thread, that Dublin 4 could be it. And I'm glad I've got GA for Dublin 3 and 4, going to savor it. Dublin 4 has to end with '40'.

It's a very good question, what does U2 have left to say as far as music. That is the question the band knows the answer to already or will be asking themselves during their long break. I'm raising the question here because it has to be asked. New music is the reason for them to exist, and I'm not so sure U2 has another album of new music in them. I can definitely see another anthology or, my hope, that they release a "from the vaults" type album for super fans of demo and unreleased tracks, maybe some of what was rumored to be on that mythical Songs of Ascent.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2018, 02:00:39 AM »

Well, that is the main point I've made in this thread, that Dublin 4 could be it. And I'm glad I've got GA for Dublin 3 and 4, going to savor it. Dublin 4 has to end with '40'.

It's a very good question, what does U2 have left to say as far as music. That is the question the band knows the answer to already or will be asking themselves during their long break. I'm raising the question here because it has to be asked. New music is the reason for them to exist, and I'm not so sure U2 has another album of new music in them. I can definitely see another anthology or, my hope, that they release a "from the vaults" type album for super fans of demo and unreleased tracks, maybe some of what was rumored to be on that mythical Songs of Ascent.

But again though, inspiration can come from anywhere. I mean, U2 started off as a melodic punk band and then all of a sudden wrote a blues/soul/gospel/rock album in 1987. Even on SOE, I was quite surprised by LIAWHL and SOL and The Showman. I never thought for a second they'd write those type of songs.

World events, personal issues etc can dictate the writing of a song. But, the point is they're musicians, they're performers, they're a band. It might seem an idea to give it up now but, they'd stop for a year or two and they'd be back working on a new project before you know it, such is the need and want in a musician

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2018, 03:07:56 AM »
My phone contract expires every 2 years and then it gets resigned. Just saying. If u2 was doing a final tour, they’d know and use it to sell out. Which is what I think the next tour will be.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2018, 05:05:03 PM »
IMO, it really sucks that they couldn't be bothered to take any of the last 3 tours to Australia/Asia.  Innocence, Joshua Tree or Experience.  Apparently it's not profitable enough to travel down under for an arena tour.  Fine, play stadiums.  U2 are too married to their stage sets, and won't modify them to fit multiple venue types.  I feel bad for all those fans that are going to get f***** over, without explanation.  It's not just baseless speculation that didn't come true... members of U2 actually said they were working on coming to Australia and Asia.  I partly blame the fact that Madonna's recent arena tour of Asia and Australia was a bust.  Guy is her manager too.

My prediction is that we hear literally nothing from U2 in 2019 at all.  2020 might have a few 40th anniversary of Boy things going on.  But I don't expect the next album/tour until 2021, at the earliest.  I agree that they need to disappear for a little while, but I sure have enjoyed the last 4 years... 2 albums, 3 different tours.  RHMT and Acrobat getting played live...  also never thought I'd see U2 perform Exit, so that was cool.  It's been fun!  I remember how boring 2012 and 2013 were, as far as being a U2 fan.