Author Topic: Adam clayton 2019 unlikely  (Read 2531 times)

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
Re: Adam clayton 2019 unlikely
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2018, 05:41:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
IMO, it really sucks that they couldn't be bothered to take any of the last 3 tours to Australia/Asia.  Innocence, Joshua Tree or Experience.  Apparently it's not profitable enough to travel down under for an arena tour.  Fine, play stadiums.  U2 are too married to their stage sets, and won't modify them to fit multiple venue types.  I feel bad for all those fans that are going to get f***** over, without explanation.  It's not just baseless speculation that didn't come true... members of U2 actually said they were working on coming to Australia and Asia.  I partly blame the fact that Madonna's recent arena tour of Asia and Australia was a bust.  Guy is her manager too.

My prediction is that we hear literally nothing from U2 in 2019 at all.  2020 might have a few 40th anniversary of Boy things going on.  But I don't expect the next album/tour until 2021, at the earliest.  I agree that they need to disappear for a little while, but I sure have enjoyed the last 4 years... 2 albums, 3 different tours.  RHMT and Acrobat getting played live...  also never thought I'd see U2 perform Exit, so that was cool.  It's been fun!  I remember how boring 2012 and 2013 were, as far as being a U2 fan.

Yes I bet they could fill stadiums no problems down under if they just came and played a set list that included a whole range of songs from their beginnings through their most popular albums to a few songs from their latest but I don't think U2 operate like that. They seemed locked in to a theme and latest albums and that's their choice artistically speaking. 

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2018, 06:29:03 PM »
Wons, personally I expect the next album to be released much later than that. Start work on the next album in mid-2020, work for a year without coming close to being satisfied with material for the next album, then stop to prep for an AB/Zoo TV 30th anniversary tour. (As much as the band doesn't want to become a nostalgia act, the success of the TJT anniversary tour will compel them to do that for AB as well.) Tour the 30th anniversary for at least six months in 2022, then break toward the end of the year. Resume work on the latest album in 2023 and finally finish in 2024. Release the new album sometime that year (probably in the October/November timeframe), then tour in 2025.

Yeah, I'm being a bit pessimistic based upon past behavioral patterns. I hope I'm wrong.

This is all very presumptuous to assume all these forthcoming albums and tours. There's nothing left for U2 to do as artists that they haven't already done. They struggled to make SOE. They've done the nostalgia tour with TJT 2017.

Read the tea leaves everybody...closing with '13', coming back home, final show of tour in Dublin.

And, Dublin 4 will not only be the last show of the tour, it'll turn out to be their final live show ever. It ends where it all began.

Of course, sure, maybe the band will be re-energized after a long layoff to come up with new material and a tour and all that. But it's gotta end at some point, they've had an amazing career, they're filthy rich (at least Bono), what else is left?

p.s., f yeah, absolutely, I'm going to Dublin 3 and 4. GA.

You could have said that about the Joshua Tree Tour or the ZOO TV tour. They have been doing this for 40 years. Its what they love doing. They are not going to stop because there is NO REASON to stop. They have fun writing and recording new songs and playing them live to their fans. Its why the Rolling Stones are still touring. I expect U2 albums and tours to continue for the next 20 to 25 years. They are performing just as well as they have ever done at the moment.

You're a little too optimistic. They are at the end of an album cycle and thematically, what is left for them as far as new music? + on the record of not wanting to become a nostalgia act like the Stones. TJT 2017 was the exception and only one, and they didn't just do it for musical reasons...they had pressure from Live Nation to do a tour since Bono's health problems derailed the other part of I/E.

Dublin 4 will be it.

Nope, they have already said that WE we'll see them again live! I'll be messaging you when the next tour starts!

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2018, 06:32:30 PM »
They are not planning for Dublin 4 to be it. Edge and Adam are having fun and want to keep going. Bono would die if he stopped. Who knows about Larry. If Dublin 4 was it, that would be because of an unforeseen event. You could ask what they have left to do musically at pretty pretty much any point in their career and the answer always is "more."

Larry and I have 2 degrees of separation, and I've been told through the grapevine that he's had enough of touring. If Larry (or any band member) wants to be done, then the band is done. It just takes one and Larry has one foot out the door.

The band have nothing new artistically to add other than unreleased songs that were rumored to be part of "SOA", the mythical album that'll likely never see the light of day. They've reached the end of the EI IE theme and the shows on this leg at least are closing with '13' (how the song is performed is a big tea leaf, with the model house at the end). The last show of the tour is in Dublin, where it all began. They are confirmed to be taking a long break after those shows. That break will take them to the end of their contract with Live Nation in March 2020. They are not going to do another album retrospective/nostalgia tour, like Zoo TV redux in 2022. It's either new music, which I don't think they will do another long recording an album and accompanying tour cycle, at their age. It all ends after Dublin 4 and that may not be the current plan but I believe with near certainty it'll turn out that way.

"At their Age"? They are not old. They are not age 90 or 100. You can tour, write and record music in your 60s and 70s essentially the same as your 20s. Multiple artist have proven this. Why would they stop? Stop and do what?

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2018, 06:35:14 PM »
Doesn't sound like he's fed up of it...

Final line of the clip from Larry:

"I feel my future is in serenity".

This was a valedictory piece from Larry, a wonderful tribute to the founder of the band. He's not fed up sounding at all, in fact he sounds incredibly passionate about music and being a musician, but on the other hand, there is nothing in that clip to indicate U2 will go on and on after Dublin 4. Dublin 4 is the confirmed end of this tour for U2 and the start of a very long break, one that'll take them past the expiration of their contract with Live Nation (March 2020). After that date, the band have no business obligation to record or tour, and think about it...what else do they have to say musically at this point? They may reissue some anthologies but don't expect a new album or tour based on that album, and certainly not a 30 year retrospective of Achtung Baby and a Zoo TV nostalgia tour. They're done, and Dublin 4 will turn out to be the last show.

U2 are artist. They do this for fun and because it is their passion. This is not a day job to them. This is about doing what you most enjoy in life. There is no retirement from music for U2.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2018, 06:37:28 PM »
Trying to put my bitterness about U2 not touring Australia for so long, I would be genuinely interested to hear the band's honest view of why they do endless laps of the US with the odd European jaunt to break up the US monotony. I'm over the patronising "oh, we'd love to play Australia' guff they've been putting out for years. If they genuinely wanted to tour Australia they'd make it happen. Wouldn't make enough money? Can't be bothered getting on a long-haul flight in First Class or on a private jet? Just a bit of honesty for once would be refreshing...

The most money to be made from touring in any single country is the United States. That's why the United States gets so many shows. Australia is small country compared to the United States, less than 10% the size in terms of population.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2018, 06:38:59 PM »
I have inside info. They’ve already begun planning for the next tour which will commence May 2022. This will be in support of the new album which is not a “Songs of “ trilogy. The tour will be indoors again and will begin in the US. While u2 won’t do a ZOOTV tour, this tour in support of the 15th album is also planned to have a heavy achtung portion in the set.

Cool, maybe it will be the Rick Rubin album. Then sometime after that maybe will get Songs of Ascent.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »
I have inside info. They’ve already begun planning for the next tour which will commence May 2022. This will be in support of the new album which is not a “Songs of “ trilogy. The tour will be indoors again and will begin in the US. While u2 won’t do a ZOOTV tour, this tour in support of the 15th album is also planned to have a heavy achtung portion in the set.

Oh, yes, please also tell us who helped Lee Harvey Oswald kill Kennedy while you're at it!

Tbf, that's pretty much the same as what you were saying...

"I've heard on the grapevine it's all over. I am going to shoot everything everyone says down because I am quite smug about what I think are facts"

Mmm, not really. I made a pretty solid case and tell me exactly what the band will do after Dublin 4? They're taking a break (fact) and that break will take them through their contract with Live Nation, and they will have no more contractual obligation to record or tour after March 2020 (another fact), unless they were to sign another deal, but as of now, we don't know if they will. I'm not out here like some misguided/delusional fans assuming they will launch back into business as usual in 2-3 years. What I've said is, we can't make any assumptions and I strongly believe Dublin 4 will turn out to be their final live show. I also strongly believe, based on what Joe O'Herlihy told a friend of mine, that Larry has had enough of touring. My whole argument is: we don't know their plans and we can't assume anything and that it *could* be the case that Dublin 4 will turn out to be the final show. If Larry decides that's enough, or another band member, then that's the end of the band, full stop.

Also, someone please make the case for U2 recording an album of new music and launching another tour cycle. What else do they have to say musically, after SOI/SOE? It's the closing of the book, it's coming home...ending the shows with '13' and bringing the prop house on stage. It's a big freaking tea leaf.

All I've done is make the case, strongly as I believe, that Dublin 4 will likely be it. Because there is nothing to indicate that they have plans to record an album of new music and tour, as of right now, and we can't assume that will change.

So what will you say when the next album comes out and the next tour goes on sale?

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2018, 06:54:45 PM »
None of the 4 of them even know what's next album and touring wise.

Also, idk why Adam calls it a 4-year cycle when they did nothing publicly in 2016. Ok, they did the iheartradio and shillsfest concert guest spot at the end of 2016.

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2018, 07:31:05 PM »
Trying to put my bitterness about U2 not touring Australia for so long, I would be genuinely interested to hear the band's honest view of why they do endless laps of the US with the odd European jaunt to break up the US monotony. I'm over the patronising "oh, we'd love to play Australia' guff they've been putting out for years. If they genuinely wanted to tour Australia they'd make it happen. Wouldn't make enough money? Can't be bothered getting on a long-haul flight in First Class or on a private jet? Just a bit of honesty for once would be refreshing...

The most money to be made from touring in any single country is the United States. That's why the United States gets so many shows. Australia is small country compared to the United States, less than 10% the size in terms of population.
Correct. But a bit of honesty from the band that the lack of touring Australia for the last eight years is purely a financial decision would be appreciated. The weasel words they use like "we'd love to tour", or "we're trying to work something out" are just patronising, misleading and insulting.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2018, 09:25:39 PM »
I don’t think they’re done because Bono would never miss the chance to take a victory lap.

Offline Tortuga

• Wanderer
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2018, 09:48:17 PM »
Whatever the case, can the next album just not be called “Songs of” anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2018, 02:05:05 AM »

Correct. But a bit of honesty from the band that the lack of touring Australia for the last eight years is purely a financial decision would be appreciated. The weasel words they use like "we'd love to tour", or "we're trying to work something out" are just patronising, misleading and insulting.

I met Bono when I went to the 2015 London shows. I asked when they were coming and he said "We're working on it... we love playing Australia." Lol.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2018, 02:14:18 AM »
my guess is they don't have their logistics base set up there. Maybe there is no Principal Management Australia to familiarly and effectively handle their touring needs. As a downflow result (which the band obviously do not have to choose themselves), they don't know their favorite hotel/private plane charter co/caterers/ local crew co and truck ing co in Australiasia.

Also, their spending and investments are in USD and euros. Not AUD or some Asian currency. Yeah, currency can obviously be converted easily when you have lots of it earned.

Edit: what affects the band more is the comfort and familiarity of their homebase. U2 don't know Aust well enough to know if they like the posh hotels in Byron Bay? Surfers Paradise? Etc.

I bet they have 3 familiar home base locations in USA (NY, Malibu, maybe a third being Miami?) And at least 3 touring home base spots in EU (Dublin duh, Eze France homes, London)
I understand your thinking, but they managed to tour up to and including 360, so I'm not sure the logistics argument carries much weight.

I would be willing to bet it's a money thing - I just wish they were honest about it.

Live Nation gave U2 that figurative BJ back in 2008 when they forked out $19M for that 12 year contract.

Live Nation makes much higher profits when U2 performs in the US. This is because Live Nation own many venues in the US, & have rights to promote a very large number of other venues.

So the band members have reciprocated, getting down on their knees & returned the favour to Guy & Live Nation.

It’s all about money. The fact that the Aussie dollar has lost 20% of it’s value since late 2014 hasn’t helped. LOL, maybe they should have started the i+e tour in Oz back at the beginning of 2015  ;)

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2018, 02:31:18 AM »
2015 & 2017 & 2018 tours were hardly anything lile 360 they could well do a proper world tour if they wanted.

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2018, 04:27:06 AM »
2015 & 2017 & 2018 tours were hardly anything lile 360 they could well do a proper world tour if they wanted.

360 wasn’t that bad.
2009 - 4 months
2010- 4 months
2011- 5 months

IE- 6 months
JT- 4 months