Author Topic: Adam clayton 2019 unlikely  (Read 2528 times)

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: Adam clayton 2019 unlikely
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2018, 04:51:04 AM »
I'm going to throw in quite a bit of optimism and a lot of hope here.

There looks like a deserved break in 2019 from the music.  2016 was a year where things were on hold, it wasn't a break in the same sense as they had definite plans.

Since the beginning of the Innocence & Experience cycle, a lot has changed in the world.  Being the political band that they are, they probably need to stand back and take a check on everything.  Where are they going? where is the world going? How do they make sense of it at the age they are (there's not really any point in coming at things like 45 year olds as they did in 2005 - which was quite a year for them)?

So 'regrouping' sounds like a good idea.  They all seem very aware of their health and mortality, as you would expect someone at that age.  They are not 'old', just at an age that is still perceived as 'old'.  Medical advancements make a difference.  Maybe they need a break from longer haul touring.

The Live Nation contract situation will make quite a difference.  If it expires and is not renewed, then perhaps the 'regrouping' may result in looking at new ways of pushing the touring boat out.  The biggest difference between U2 and The Stones is that U2 have always looked to do things differently and not the norm.  U2 would still be able to fill stadiums and arenas by, say, 2022. But is it the touring contract that makes a difference?  Maybe some of their personal preferences have been put aside through Live Nation. 
U2 are a band about ethics (an aside: they really have pushed the green agenda on this tour in particular looking at everything from pollution (have you noticed how the venues are clustered together in groups to avoid unnecessary (polluting) travel)  to re-useable beer cups and in between).  Perhaps the ethics of big stage production touring around the world is something they are looking at privately?  Could they push the boat out on the touring agenda and forcing the hand of the touring side of the entertainment industry to make big and lasting changes?  This band are known for trailblazing.

They would still tour, but there may be more variation in where they tour and when (maybe shorter more intensive bursts perhaps focussing on geographical areas in a variety of venues)? 

Does anyone on here know why Larry is reportedly 'fed up touring'?  Until we know there's no point in speculating.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 04:53:37 AM by 73October »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2018, 10:55:54 AM »
U2 will be back on he road in 2022. U2 have been taking breaks in between tours that last around 3 to 5 years since the end of the Joshua Tree Tour. Were at the end of a cycle of writing, recording and touring for the band, just like at the end of 1989, or 1993, 1998, 2001, 2006, or 2011. This is normal for U2 based on their history. Being in your 60s and 70s is not old for what they do. That is already been proven by many other artist. Don't start wondering about when the band will stop until Larry has celebrated his 80th birthday at least. Its even possible they would continue after that. B.B. King was still on the road until a year before he died and he almost made it to his 90th birthday!

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2018, 11:18:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm going to throw in quite a bit of optimism and a lot of hope here.

There looks like a deserved break in 2019 from the music.  2016 was a year where things were on hold, it wasn't a break in the same sense as they had definite plans.

Since the beginning of the Innocence & Experience cycle, a lot has changed in the world.  Being the political band that they are, they probably need to stand back and take a check on everything.  Where are they going? where is the world going? How do they make sense of it at the age they are (there's not really any point in coming at things like 45 year olds as they did in 2005 - which was quite a year for them)?

So 'regrouping' sounds like a good idea.  They all seem very aware of their health and mortality, as you would expect someone at that age.  They are not 'old', just at an age that is still perceived as 'old'.  Medical advancements make a difference.  Maybe they need a break from longer haul touring.

The Live Nation contract situation will make quite a difference.  If it expires and is not renewed, then perhaps the 'regrouping' may result in looking at new ways of pushing the touring boat out.  The biggest difference between U2 and The Stones is that U2 have always looked to do things differently and not the norm.  U2 would still be able to fill stadiums and arenas by, say, 2022. But is it the touring contract that makes a difference?  Maybe some of their personal preferences have been put aside through Live Nation. 
U2 are a band about ethics (an aside: they really have pushed the green agenda on this tour in particular looking at everything from pollution (have you noticed how the venues are clustered together in groups to avoid unnecessary (polluting) travel)  to re-useable beer cups and in between).  Perhaps the ethics of big stage production touring around the world is something they are looking at privately?  Could they push the boat out on the touring agenda and forcing the hand of the touring side of the entertainment industry to make big and lasting changes?  This band are known for trailblazing.

They would still tour, but there may be more variation in where they tour and when (maybe shorter more intensive bursts perhaps focussing on geographical areas in a variety of venues)? 

Does anyone on here know why Larry is reportedly 'fed up touring'?  Until we know there's no point in speculating.

Touring life can be stressful and draining...Although, from the BBC doc in Brazil, he seemed quite happy, as he was in any footage I seen of him greeting fans outside venues on the i+E tour.

He's certainly not sick of performing anyways. His performances on the i+E tour and JT tour when I seen them were absolutely fantastic.

I mean...Just look at him.

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2018, 04:35:44 PM »
Trying to put my bitterness about U2 not touring Australia for so long, I would be genuinely interested to hear the band's honest view of why they do endless laps of the US with the odd European jaunt to break up the US monotony. I'm over the patronising "oh, we'd love to play Australia' guff they've been putting out for years. If they genuinely wanted to tour Australia they'd make it happen. Wouldn't make enough money? Can't be bothered getting on a long-haul flight in First Class or on a private jet? Just a bit of honesty for once would be refreshing...

The most money to be made from touring in any single country is the United States. That's why the United States gets so many shows. Australia is small country compared to the United States, less than 10% the size in terms of population.
Correct. But a bit of honesty from the band that the lack of touring Australia for the last eight years is purely a financial decision would be appreciated. The weasel words they use like "we'd love to tour", or "we're trying to work something out" are just patronising, misleading and insulting.

I met Bono when I went to the 2015 London shows. I asked when they were coming and he said "We're working on it... we love playing Australia." Lol.

Yeah, that's my point - it's just a flat out lie. Disappointing from a man and a band that like to portray themselves as ethical...

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2018, 09:05:57 PM »
Number of U2 shows in Australia to date - 60
Number of U2 tours in Australia to date - 6

Unforgettable Fire Tour - 1984
Lovetown Tour - 1989
ZOO TV Tour - 1993
Popmart Tour - 1998
Vertigo Tour - 2006
360 Tour - 2010

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2018, 10:05:34 PM »

Lovetown Tour - 1989
ZOO TV Tour - 1993
Popmart Tour - 1998
Vertigo Tour - 2006
360 Tour - 2010

Number of U2 tours done since 360 - 3
Number of tours since 360 where Bono (or bandmate/s) claimed they were planning on coming to Australia - 3
Number of those tours that actually included Australia - 0
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:07:36 PM by Boba Fett »

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2018, 06:32:51 AM »
Lol your whining is getting comical. It's documented by Bino himself that Larry doesn't like SoE album. Has Larry every taken the mic to say "I'm not in favor of soe"?

No, he just doesn't promote the album or ei tour.

They are seasoned celebs. They know what not to say, which includes not "insulting" (in any sense) their aus fans.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2018, 07:08:41 AM »

Lovetown Tour - 1989
ZOO TV Tour - 1993
Popmart Tour - 1998
Vertigo Tour - 2006
360 Tour - 2010

Number of tours since 360 where Bono (or bandmate/s) claimed they were planning on coming to Australia - 3

Number of times Boba Fett saw U2 in Australia?
Tours?

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2018, 08:07:12 AM »

Lovetown Tour - 1989
ZOO TV Tour - 1993
Popmart Tour - 1998
Vertigo Tour - 2006
360 Tour - 2010

Tours?
Your point?

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2018, 01:45:26 PM »

Lovetown Tour - 1989
ZOO TV Tour - 1993
Popmart Tour - 1998
Vertigo Tour - 2006
360 Tour - 2010

Tours?
Your point?

Curiosity.

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2018, 04:04:57 PM »
Every time they've toured the country actually.

But what's that got to do with my point? Which is simply that it would be nice if the band were honest with their fans in Australia instead of (at best) patronising them or (at worst) outright lying to them.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2018, 04:55:53 PM »
Every time they've toured the country actually.

But what's that got to do with my point? Which is simply that it would be nice if the band were honest with their fans in Australia instead of (at best) patronising them or (at worst) outright lying to them.

I was just asking. It has nothing to do with your point.

Offline Tortuga

• Wanderer
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2018, 06:24:04 PM »
Boba, how many times did you eat eggs last week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2018, 06:57:51 PM »

I'm not eggsactly sure...;)

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2018, 07:00:48 PM »

I'm not eggsactly sure...;)

That was a bad yolk... oops I mean joke ;)