Author Topic: Adam clayton 2019 unlikely  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
Re: Adam clayton 2019 unlikely
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2018, 07:15:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Boba, how many times did you eat eggs last week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not eggsactly sure...;)

That was a bad yolk... oops I mean joke ;)
Everyone's a comedi-hen around here...:D

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2018, 12:57:16 PM »
Boba, how many times did you eat eggs last week?

I'm not eggsactly sure...;)

That was a bad yolk... oops I mean joke ;)
Everyone's a comedi-hen around here...:D
I'm not going to chicken out of making a joke!  :D

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2018, 04:38:36 PM »
I still think its a mistake to end this tour in Dublin. Despite what Adam has said, maybe they will come to their senses and extend the tour in 2019 to places like Australia, New Zealand, Japan and other places in North America and Europe.

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »
I still think its a mistake to end this tour in Dublin. Despite what Adam has said, maybe they will come to their senses and extend the tour in 2019 to places like Australia, New Zealand, Japan and other places in North America and Europe.

I don’t think it’s a mistake. I think they’re tired of touring and need a looooooonnnnggggg break. People argue “why can’t u2 come to our country” when u2 could argue “why don’t you come see us in a country we’re playing”

Offline Tortuga

• Wanderer
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »

I don’t think it’s a mistake. I think they’re tired of touring and need a looooooonnnnggggg break. People argue “why can’t u2 come to our country” when u2 could argue “why don’t you come see us in a country we’re playing”

Well, lets face it.  It makes alot more sense for 4 people to go there than 40,000 to go somewhere else.  Australia is just way down there and the logistics and cost of flying that huge production down there for a few shows is probably hard to do profitably.  They should strip it back and just go down their with their techs and do some shows without all the baggage.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2018, 06:34:57 PM »

I don’t think it’s really a case of Aussies being pi**ed off, & saying “you guys don’t need a rest, come visit us”. It’s more of a case of “what’s the obsession with the US? We haven’t had a single show down under in about the last 8 years, while the US has had 4 tour legs in the last 3 years!”

If the band is feeling their age, & only feel like they have a limited number of shows in them, you’d like they’d be trying to reach the largest possible audience for those limited shows. Which of course means stadiums. If they want to play arenas (which offer a better quality, more immersive experience), you’d think they’d at least try to play in cities which would sell out, with arenas full of fans. Not over saturated markets & BF towns in the mid-west, where we get unsold seats, curtained off sections, free ticket handouts & a portion of the crowd that are really not too fussed to be there.

But alas, Live Nation has to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

I’m Australian, but have seen U2 on 3 continents. My overseas shows have been Elevation & i+e in Europe, & 2 legs of 360 in the US. But I’d love to see an arena show (or even a stadium) with my Aussie friends, they’ve only ever seen U2 in stadiums. But not everyone can take a transcontinental flight of between 14 & 24 hours, just to see a band. It’s expensive, plus you have to spend weeks overseas to justify the expense & time it takes to fly. It’s not like Scottish fans that have been complaining about catching a train for 2 or 3 hours.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 06:44:28 PM by d.darroch »

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »
Well, lets face it.  It makes alot more sense for 4 people to go there than 40,000 to go somewhere else.  Australia is just way down there and the logistics and cost of flying that huge production down there for a few shows is probably hard to do profitably.  They should strip it back and just go down their with their techs and do some shows without all the baggage.

I don’t think it’s suddenly become unprofitable to tour in Australia, plenty of other bands are doing it. Yeah, the Aussie dollar has dropped a bit. But it’s been far lower at other times when U2 has toured there. We’re also used to subsidising some of the cost, with higher ticket prices than the US.

I’m not sure of crowd sizes. But last time U2 visited Australia they had 2 shows (in-the-round 360 format) at Sydney’s ANZ stadium, capacity 83,000 (also 2 shows in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth & Auckland). Previously, Sydney got 3 shows for Vertigo at the same stadium (end-stage format). The last time Sydney got arena shows, Lovetown, there were 8 shows in Sydney. If they pushed it, maybe they could do 6-8 arena shows in Sydney, 6 shows in Melbourne, 3-5 in Brisbane & Auckland, 2-4 shows in Perth/Adelaide, then add Asia. So the crowds wouldn’t be insignificant.

I’m sure a tour would be profitable. It’s just that Live Nation would have to share the profits, as their operations here aren’t the same scale they are in the US (ie. they don’t have a virtual monopoly). Their piece of the pie would be smaller. That’s the problem, it’s all about Live Nations profits & their greed.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 08:16:58 PM by d.darroch »

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2018, 08:25:24 PM »

I don’t think it’s suddenly become unprofitable to tour in Australia, plenty of other bands are doing it. Yeah, the Aussie dollar has dropped a bit. But it’s been far lower at other times when U2 has toured there. We’re also used to subsidising some of the cost, with higher ticket prices than the US.

I’m not sure of crowd sizes. But last time U2 visited Australia they had 2 shows (in-the-round 360 format) at Sydney’s ANZ stadium, capacity 83,000 (also 2 shows in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth & Auckland). Previously, Sydney got 3 shows for Vertigo at the same stadium (end-stage format). The last time Sydney got arena shows, Lovetown, there were 8 shows in Sydney. If they pushed it, maybe they could do 6-8 arena shows in Sydney, 6 shows in Melbourne, 3-5 in Brisbane & Auckland, 2-4 shows in Perth/Adelaide, then add Asia. So the crowds wouldn’t be insignificant.

I’m sure a tour would be profitable. It’s just that Live Nation would have to share the profits, as their operations here aren’t the same scale they are in the US (ie. they don’t have a virtual monopoly). Their piece of the pie would be smaller. That’s the problem, it’s all about Live Nations profits & their greed.
I’m surprised by what Adam said, I really thought they’d be touring Australia next year. They talked about it earlier.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2018, 12:09:56 AM »
U2 can do what they want. I live in Aus, seen them once here. I love them to bits, but I'm not "pi**ed off" that they might not come back. I'm not an entitled millennial who thinks that this band owes me anything. They're 60 years old. They've given myself and all of us so much over the years and to think that some people actually get borderline outraged that they aren't going to come to their town is quite frankly a reflection of the selfish and privileged instant-gratification consumerist culture we live in today. They have their reasons for touring when and where they do, so just accept it.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2018, 02:43:43 AM »
U2 can do what they want. I live in Aus, seen them once here. I love them to bits, but I'm not "pi**ed off" that they might not come back. I'm not an entitled millennial who thinks that this band owes me anything. They're 60 years old. They've given myself and all of us so much over the years and to think that some people actually get borderline outraged that they aren't going to come to their town is quite frankly a reflection of the selfish and privileged instant-gratification consumerist culture we live in today. They have their reasons for touring when and where they do, so just accept it.

It's a pity that this forum doesn't have a "thank you" function for the postings, like the "like" button in FB.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2018, 06:06:43 PM »

Dublin is the best place for U2 to end a tour, for obvious reasons. And Dublin 4 could very well be the final U2 show ever...cannot take any of it for granted. If they do tour after 2019, well, great! But don't assume. What we know 100% is Dublin 4 is the last show and then no plans.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2018, 07:50:06 PM »
Clarky, I like your attitude! 8)  I just travelled 1500 miles round trip to see them in a new place--it was well worth it, and I got to visit a new city.

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2018, 08:01:06 PM »
I’m not pi**ed off they’ve decided to ignore Australia for the last three tours in a row. I just think it would be nice if they didn’t continually lie to their fans about it. I agree with you that they have the right to do endless laps of the US if that’s what they want.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2018, 06:32:31 AM »
Clarky, I like your attitude! 8)  I just travelled 1500 miles round trip to see them in a new place--it was well worth it, and I got to visit a new city.

Where did you fly from & too too see U2 mate??

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »
I’m not pi**ed off they’ve decided to ignore Australia for the last three tours in a row. I just think it would be nice if they didn’t continually lie to their fans about it. I agree with you that they have the right to do endless laps of the US if that’s what they want.

For sure I was using the extreme as an example; I'm not saying that most or all are this way. I do feel like I pick up on a fair amount of, lets just say, annoyed attitudes because the band aren't going to a place that they want them to though, and that just comes across wrong to me. It's not your right to have U2 perform for you in your preferred city or town - it's a privilege to see them live. That's 100% how I've always felt and I don't always sense the same outlook from others when I see discussions on their touring schedules.