Author Topic: Adam clayton 2019 unlikely  (Read 2565 times)

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: Adam clayton 2019 unlikely
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2018, 10:15:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 can do what they want. I live in Aus, seen them once here. I love them to bits, but I'm not "pi**ed off" that they might not come back. I'm not an entitled millennial who thinks that this band owes me anything. They're 60 years old. They've given myself and all of us so much over the years and to think that some people actually get borderline outraged that they aren't going to come to their town is quite frankly a reflection of the selfish and privileged instant-gratification consumerist culture we live in today. They have their reasons for touring when and where they do, so just accept it.
Iím not pi**ed off theyíve decided to ignore Australia for the last three tours in a row. I just think it would be nice if they didnít continually lie to their fans about it. I agree with you that they have the right to do endless laps of the US if thatís what they want.

For sure I was using the extreme as an example; I'm not saying that most or all are this way. I do feel like I pick up on a fair amount of, lets just say, annoyed attitudes because the band aren't going to a place that they want them to though, and that just comes across wrong to me. It's not your right to have U2 perform for you in your preferred city or town - it's a privilege to see them live. That's 100% how I've always felt and I don't always sense the same outlook from others when I see discussions on their touring schedules.
This is why my vacations will be short and few this year (and sometimes at home).  Another year, another U2 ticket (in my own country).  I have figured that I'd rather go and see U2 live than take a proper vacation because that could always happen another year.
Maybe I should be thinking of next year's trip now if nothing will happen on the touring side next year?

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2018, 05:24:03 PM »
U2 can do what they want. I live in Aus, seen them once here. I love them to bits, but I'm not "pi**ed off" that they might not come back. I'm not an entitled millennial who thinks that this band owes me anything. They're 60 years old. They've given myself and all of us so much over the years and to think that some people actually get borderline outraged that they aren't going to come to their town is quite frankly a reflection of the selfish and privileged instant-gratification consumerist culture we live in today. They have their reasons for touring when and where they do, so just accept it.
Iím not pi**ed off theyíve decided to ignore Australia for the last three tours in a row. I just think it would be nice if they didnít continually lie to their fans about it. I agree with you that they have the right to do endless laps of the US if thatís what they want.

For sure I was using the extreme as an example; I'm not saying that most or all are this way. I do feel like I pick up on a fair amount of, lets just say, annoyed attitudes because the band aren't going to a place that they want them to though, and that just comes across wrong to me. It's not your right to have U2 perform for you in your preferred city or town - it's a privilege to see them live. That's 100% how I've always felt and I don't always sense the same outlook from others when I see discussions on their touring schedules.
I think privilege is going a bit far - I think it's more about luck (is the band touring your country/area/city?) and opportunity (can you afford the ticket prices?). But you're spot on that there is no 'requirement' as such from the band to tour anywhere specific. Totally up to them. 

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2018, 10:03:01 PM »
I travelled from Michigan to Washington D.C. and was fortunate to be able to do so.  I recommend seeing a U2 show outside of your usual city/locale.  It was a lot of fun and it got me out to see the monuments and museums.  Nineteen Smithsonian museums are free to the public.  Also, all the cool memorials--the Lincoln, the Jefferson, the WWII, the Korean and Vietnam memorials.  Well worth seeing and we all need a reminder of our patriotic roots at this time.