Author Topic: A few observations from last nights show...  (Read 478 times)

Offline SpanishEyes

• Stranger in a Strange Land
A few observations from last nights show...
« on: June 30, 2018, 08:09:19 AM »
Been a fan of the band for 30+ years. Seen every tour since JT etc. Was at the Newark show and here are a few random comments.

Guys sounded great as always. High energy, smiles all around. Still a great live band and always will be.

Song selection was just ok. Certain songs worked better than others. Red Flag Day and Landlady should be played every night in my opinion. Landlady would have been great in place of SATS during the brief acoustic set with Bono and Edge.

I surprisingly didnít miss the JT songs and other standards that we are use to hearing at every show (mysterious ways, WOWY, etc)

Cedarwood road wasnít necessary and was just a reboot of their previous tour. So many great songs that could have been played off of that album or others instead. U2 is known for their reinventing of themselves for every tour but this part of the show felt very repurposed to me.

Macphisto needs to go. Always thought it was out of place and not entertaining. Even when he first was invented 20+ years ago. Thank goodness his appearance was brief but they could have done one more song instead.

I really donít like when they end the night on a down tempo song like they have been doing on this tour. It sucks the life out of the room and leaves a somber last impression in my opinion. Thought the same when they closed with Love is Blindness way back when. Perhaps thatís the point but I would have much preferred that they finished with a bang as opposed to a whimper.

Am I alone here in in my views above?  Would love to hear other folks impressions of this tour.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:52:36 AM by SpanishEyes »

Offline hellonice

• Babyface
Re: A few observations from last nights show...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 09:24:16 AM »
Saw my 2nd show of the tour last night (San Jose 2 was the other) and I really enjoy the show, the way it is. Yeah a song or two here and there, trade them out - whatever.

I actually really enjoyed MacPhisto last night, his improvisation on it has really strengthened since the beginning of the tour. Also the conversation with Ali was well done as well.

Went with my gf last night - her first show (My 12th I think) - and she loved it.

What you think is somber, I think is cathartic, hopeful, beautiful.

Offline steve70

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 09:59:11 AM »
No you are not alone. The Macphisto character, the top hat. Ugh.
Sorry I know really only positive comments are welcomed here but I was just disappointed  after my show. I did wonder if it would have been a better experience on the floor, as I was seated up high.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 02:12:37 PM »
  I loved my concert in D.C.  I find MacPhisto to be creepy as you know what, but I do think the times call for such a um, character.  I actually think his commentary is quite tame and there's a lot more he could do with it.  But his highlighting "putting children in cages" is something that needs to be said.
   I agree that "Cedarwood" could go.  There are some parts of the show that were good, not great, like the "Elevation"/"Vertigo" sequence.  I thought the new songs came across really well.  As for the older songs, I thought the "Staring at the Sun" was a great interpretation, and "I Will Follow" has never sounded better.
    I really think the band should play "Gloria" and "Red Flag Day" at each show.
    I didn't mind the slower ending, but I can see your point.  I think the intention is to leave the show on a challenging note--now what will YOU be doing to save democracy?  Does this sound hyperbolic?  I don't think it is.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 06:50:35 AM »
I saw them on Tuesday night at the Garden and felt like I won the lottery with a performance of Gloria. Phenomenal show.  Like many fans of 30+ years, I wasn't happy with the setlist as my concert approached, but in the moment it really didn't matter.  SOE is probably my favorite release since Zooropa so I was happy to hear the new songs.  While I didn't mind the show ending with 13, I see where you're coming from.  4 of the 6 final songs played were brand new - the only classic in there was One (I still consider COBL "new").  The encore needs something loud with energy so maybe they should chance the sequencing.

Overall it was great show.  I really enjoyed the Desire/Acrobat/Staring At The Sun/Pride sequence.  Maybe that should be the encore.

Offline gottago

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 12:48:11 AM »
On their choice for closing out with Love is Bigger and 13, kudos for having the balls to go out on two new songs, but, like ending 360 with MOS, terrible decision for the fans at this stage of their career.  They could leave everyone soaring with one of many classics from their cannon, but instead, go out with a whimper and fans leaving early to get to their cars scratching their heads.

Online laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 05:32:15 AM »
I know there were reports of that early on, but it didn't happen in Boston. The audience seemed into the theatrics of 13.

And people seemed quite high after. When I came down the stairs to exit, I had to cross a crowded hallway. Someone had a boombox playing one of their classics and the whole crowd was singing as they made their way out, looking like they just left a revival. Not one person whose path I crossed wasn't singing while walking on air.