Author Topic: MSG July 1 - Review  (Read 421 times)

gasface257

MSG July 1 - Review
« on: July 01, 2018, 09:33:07 PM »
**spoilers**

I wasn’t going to see this show at first. After seeing I&E which was fantastic and The Joshua Tree which was disappointing, I debated about going to this show.

After seeing the set list, I wasn’t exactly inspired, but what ultimately changed my mind was that Acrobat was being played and I would kick myself for not seeing it because a 30th Anniversary of Achtung Baby tour is not guaranteed.

I bought myself a cheap ticket , all the way at the top behind the stage. The worst seat in the house... or so I thought.

Behind the stage turned out to be a great view. I was angled enough to still see the long screen with maybe a portion blocked by the lighting rig.

The band never sounded better. They looked like they were having the time of their lives. The warhorses,were great. Pride was the best I had seen it performed. The new songs worked very well live and I think American Soul should be a new staple in the setlist.

The only criticism I have is the Iris/Cedarwood Road/SBS/UTEOTW portion that was done the first time around. It wasn’t necessary to repeat. 

I do have to point out that the concession stand was behind me and there were these two guys who were talking very loudly during Vertigo and Desire. When Acrobat started, I turned to them and asked them not to talk during that song. To their credit, they didn’t.  Talking during a show is very rude.

Another phenominal show. I’m glad I went.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: MSG July 1 - Review
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 05:00:31 AM »
I think the Iris/Cedarwood Road/SBS/UTEOTW segment is left in from the I&E tour for deliberate reasons - the band take us on a raincheck as to why all this started in the first place. In a pre-tour interview with Willie Williams he referred to this segment as the 'innocence suite'.  It's mirrored at the start of the second part of the show where we have the what is probably called 'experience suite' (Elevation, Vertigo, Desire, Acrobat).
Anyway, I loved the innocence songs from the I&E tour and am looking forward to seeing them again in Europe.  I know that I'm going to know all the tricks they do with the screen, but it's a treat to be able to see that segment of the show once more.