Poll

What are your three favorite songs off the album The Joshua Tree, and how do you feel about the album in 2018?

Where the Streets Have No Name
32 (24.6%)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
11 (8.5%)
With or Without You
17 (13.1%)
Bullet the Blue Sky
7 (5.4%)
Running to Stand Still
13 (10%)
Red Hill Mining Town
7 (5.4%)
In God's Country
5 (3.8%)
Trip Through Your Wires
3 (2.3%)
One Tree Hill
20 (15.4%)
Exit
12 (9.2%)
Mothers of the Disappeared
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: The Joshua Tree: Retrospective  (Read 652 times)

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: The Joshua Tree: Retrospective
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 09:45:07 AM »
Great takes on those songs, thanks.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 04:45:45 AM »
1. With Or Without You
2. Where The Streets Have No Name
3. Exit

I first started listening to U2’s music in detail shortly after NLOTH was released in 2009 so had purchased the album “The Joshua Tree” as part of wanting to get to know the band from their early beginnings.

Obviously, prior to fully getting into U2’s music, I had already heard the opening three songs from this album multiple times on the radio and on their “Best of 1980-1990” album as well so knew how great those songs were!

“With Or Without You” is one of those songs that you just know could not have been recorded by any other artist than U2. It is signature U2 throughout courtesy of a relentless bassline, sublime riff, subtle drum beat and hauntingly powerful vocals. Simply amazing from the very start to the very end.

“Where The Streets Have No Name” takes the definition of a signature U2 song to its highest peak - this is the song U2 will be most remembered for when their journey finally comes to an end. Live, it is their greatest song ever and always delivers sound-tingling and unforgettable concert moments. Their performance at Slane Castle of this song does this statement justice along with countless other performances as well. Absolutely amazing song!

“Exit” was a slow burner of a song for me. I did, initially, like the song but couldn’t really figure out its meaning or purpose to be included on the album. After years of listening to the album though, and then finally seeing this song played live on “The Joshua Tree Tour 2017”, it finally clicked as to what makes this song great. Listening to it now, I am much more appreciative and thankful that this song is in existence on this album and wonder how I ever felt differently about it before!

“The Joshua Tree”’is U2’s definitive album and it’s easy to see why. The continuity of the theme remains present throughout, better than almost every other U2 album, and each song is fantastic in its own right.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 10:01:06 AM »
I was hoping to hear a take on TJT from the perspective of a younger/latter day fan, so thanks. I have difficulty imagining what this album sounds like to a Millennial or Post-Millennial.