Author Topic: Where is The Little things that give you away? Live?  (Read 499 times)

Offline ColseU2

• Wanderer
  • Dream outloud
Where is The Little things that give you away? Live?
« on: July 02, 2018, 03:27:26 PM »
This is such a great hair raising tune so I've asked myself why they aren't playing it on the tour? The top questions I keep asking myself are:
1. Are they waiting to release it as a single? Then they'll go all out i.e play it on the tour, release a video, play it on tv stations etc. To help them get a No.1 single again?
2. Bono cant hit the notes, in order to sing the amount of songs he currently is to the standard he is means sacrificing this song?
3. Will they save it for the last gig then announce split or break? ('The end is here')

Something else... I'd like to know everyone elses thoughts and have a general discussion on this great song they are missing out for some reason.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 03:29:20 PM by ColseU2 »

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Where is The Little things that give you away? Live?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 04:25:56 PM »
I too was gobsmacked when I saw it didn't make the setlist. I am on record here guaranteeing it would be played. Good thing I didn't put any collateral on it.

Your list of ideas is very good and interesting but I don't think it's any of them.

I don't think it will be a single. This song is huge among fans but I don't think it will hit the general public. So it's like Ultraviolet or Kite, unknown to the average person, canon to us.

I think Bono can nail this song no problem. He's singing harder songs great. I don't think he's worried about hitting the notes.

I don't think they are planning any farewell. And if they were, would they not be playing it every night?

I am not sure but I'm guessing they felt the setlist needed a lot of rock-out songs to balance the more introspective or even midtempo songs.

When they played it last year, they didn't get a big reaction. But I think that was not a reflection of the song quality - dropping a new song live is really a big risk, nobody is familiar with it so they can't anticipate the big moments.

I would have loved to have seen it. I'd want to get rid of ABOY, replace it with Red Flag Day, and close the main set with Little Things, after COBL. Which has the drawback of ending that set on a somber note, then ending the encore on 13, which is lovely and hopeful but not precisely an upper.

I guess the big thing is, where would you put it narratively? Where I suggested screws up the arc. It's another mortality song and they already dod three, and you're not going to stick a fourth one on, and certainly not this one at the beginning of the show.

So I think that's why. It's totally related to the narrative, but where do you put it without dragging down the setlist in the wrong place?

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 04:10:49 AM »
I don't think it got a great reaction live last year.  A lot of people thought it was a hint of the end - especially when Bono mentioned it as the last song on the album.  So when the album came out, it was shifted around in the running order.

I don't think its the 'end' for them just yet. 

They have probably swapped it for 13 (There Is A Light) as it 'completes' the narrative.  Also, as rightly said, there are quite a number of more downbeat songs on this tour.

I was fortunate enough to get Little Things live last year on The Joshua Tree 2017 tour and it was a bit of a sombre ending.  So I am guessing 13, sombre as it is, is allowing more of the end of the story than Little Things. I'm now wondering if Little Things partly throws some 'light' so to speak onto the torment that Bono had - which has also come out in songs like Blackout and Lights of Home and even 13 to some extent.  So in attempt not to repeat themselves, they have omitted it from the tour.
Just a thought.
Would like it to be included in a future touring setlist, but not sure if that will ever happen.

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 04:28:25 AM »
It wasn’t appreciated in stadiums so the band is afraid to play it again even in smaller settings

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 05:31:57 AM »
Yeah, they played it at a JT Tour show I was at, and... it wasn't that great. Studio version is much better.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 08:28:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah, they played it at a JT Tour show I was at, and... it wasn't that great. Studio version is much better.

Yep. The album version is much better than the live version they've played so far. I'd rather not have it than have the version they played on the JT2017 tour.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 05:12:03 AM »
Since the song was meant to be called 'Morning After Innocence', I would like to see it right after the 'Innocence'-part in the show. Then they'll should add Raised By Wolves again, but ditch Until The End Of The World (maybe not so good..)

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 11:23:43 AM »
I think that Raised By Wolves was quickly dropped from E&I because the narrative was very much related to their innocence (growing up), whereas Sunday Bloody Sunday is seen as something of a theme that has been covered again and again throughout their career.  Simply: they won't stop until there is peace.  Whilst there is now peace in Northern Ireland, there is not peace in Syria, Sudan, Ethiopia/Eritrea etc etc.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
I saw a performance of Little Things on YT from, I think, Vancouver? Yes, pretty sure it was there. The crowd reaction was dead but I thought he performance ws wonderful. Dropping a new song live is rarely going to get a good audience reaction. It took me a few plays on the album to "hear" it and "get" it - I wasn't blown away the first time. (But I was, like, the fourth time - like, near tears, like, and I'm not like that at all).

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 02:18:52 AM »
I just think it's too emotional and personal for Bono to sing each night. He can obviously sing it very well. But it's just one of those songs that can only be done if you feel up to it. IMO, anyway.