Author Topic: Dallas Schoo video interview about studio-songwriting process (May 2018)  (Read 227 times)

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Didn't see this posted. Dallas is honest and hilarious in this behind-the-scenes short interview vid!

Dallas said they had 37 songs to choose from for SoE. Or was it SoE+I combined, he meant?

Dallas does hilarious impersonations of the band members in the studio.

Dallas says sometimes it's exhausting to be around when the band bangs out a song into the wee hours of the morning.

My commentary:
Also, they need to stop with such a rigid song structure (verse, chorus, middle-lay??, Solo, etc). Look at that catchy hit song Portugal the Man!

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Dallas said they had 37 songs to choose from for SoE. Or was it SoE+I combined, he meant?

My reckoning is that we have heard maybe half-ish of the songs they had for SOI & SOE combined, if you include bonus tracks on both albums.  Although at least 2 songs from SOI have been regurgitated into something new on SOE (American Soul is 2 previous songs).
Although Every Breaking Wave was said to be a left-over from NLOTH, which perhaps they should have used.
There are enough left overs that we may not get to hear in their current form.
Adam said in a BBC radio interview last December that they may be looking to start again.  But it could be that they use some of the leftovers and remake for the next album.

In short, Dallas says (although not in these words) that most of U2's song-writing is a form of Irish stew (but with different ingredients every time)!