Author Topic: If there is an Achtung Baby Anniversary Tour, then...  (Read 2517 times)

Offline welshguy77

• Babyface
Re: If there is an Achtung Baby Anniversary Tour, then...
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 04:53:31 PM »
I would be fine with this. Achtung Baby is their best album and Zooroopa is possibly their 3rd best.  Pop is also under-rated.  Hope it happens but not sure if it will.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 09:48:51 PM »
I wonder if they will feel compelled to do something like this since they have created precedence with the Joshua Tree Anniversary Tour? That was a filler tour that they had to commit to with Live Nation since SOE wasnt ready. Im not sure U2 ever had really thought this was something they would ever do (going retrospective) or that was what they would be about. Interesting to see if it happens.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 06:33:21 PM »
I hate this idea, I would go bankrupt and lose my job following them all over the world for this tour, lets do it!

Offline Marwood

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 06:27:59 AM »
It would be good but I doubt they'd do three albums in their entirety: if they were going to do a 90s night, a few of the songs (rather than the instrumentals, although Lets Go Native would be cool) from Original Soundtracks would be cool.

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 05:34:51 PM »
I like the idea, but I wasn't around for the first Joshua tree tour, so the nostalgia of the tour never hit me. Instead I felt really out of place at the show and with my generation, so I would like to say, please no more nostalgia or old album tours. That's just my opinion on the matter.

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 09:47:05 AM »
Hard to imagine a show that opens with Achtung Baby songs followed by Pop and Zooropa songs.  It's a recipe for a half empty arena for the last hour. Sure, the half would be most of the people who frequent this board, so I suspect people will disagree. Pop and Zooropa didn't sell 10 million albums together, while ATYCLB sold 11.5. So, maybe they could open with two popular staples?

They'd have to structure it backwards to keep a crowd in the venue.

Deep down, I just want them to put together one "last" rock (bass, drum, guitar, vocals - that's it) album, recorded on an analog board with everyone in the studio playing together until they could play one take of the song just right. Literally go to a garage in the south of France and write the songs, then do a series of "one take" shots, and with no announcement, put out the record.  It just shows up at radio stations and online on a Friday afternoon so people can hear it on their own all weekend without having to listen to what critics have to say until Monday. 

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 11:40:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Deep down, I just want them to put together one "last" rock (bass, drum, guitar, vocals - that's it) album, recorded on an analog board with everyone in the studio playing together until they could play one take of the song just right. Literally go to a garage in the south of France and write the songs, then do a series of "one take" shots, and with no announcement, put out the record.
You know they have literally never done this don't you?

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 07:58:08 AM »
I do.  I think it would be the most experimental type of record they could do at this stage of their career.

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 10:13:47 PM »

The next tour won't be until Songs of Ascent or whatever the next album is called, but a Zoo Two tour would be very cool.  In a dream world, Songs of Ascent would fit the vibe of Zoo TV and Pop tours, so a Zoo Two type tour would happen... Not likely, but a boy can dream.  I do believe they have one more Zoo TV / U2 360 size stadium tour in them. 

Offline Sonofabono

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 05:02:25 PM »

The next tour won't be until Songs of Ascent or whatever the next album is called, but a Zoo Two tour would be very cool.  In a dream world, Songs of Ascent would fit the vibe of Zoo TV and Pop tours, so a Zoo Two type tour would happen... Not likely, but a boy can dream.  I do believe they have one more Zoo TV / U2 360 size stadium tour in them.

And the award goes to the guy who came up with ZOO-2. (If someone else came up with this before, I'm sorry. Too lazy to read the whole thread.)

Offline garyu2

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 01:59:00 AM »
90s only song. Great idea.

But U2 would play Elevation, Beautiful Day and Pride again.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 04:24:07 AM »
While it might be nice to imagine, there's no way on earth you'll see them do this.  One of the three albums was considered a huge success--the other two, not so much.  I'm pretty sure their acknowledgement of Pop on the current tour is about as much as you'll ever see them do from that album.

Perhaps they could do an Achtung Baby Anniversary tour, and include selections from Zooropa and Pop, rather than the whole albums. But my gut tells me they won't do it. Although we do have the next three years to speculate wildly about it...:D

I think at most they either do an AB anniversary tour or, maybe even more likely, a Zoo TV anniversary tour, with no complete album but a heavy dose of AB with maybe a few Zooropa tracks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think they may do it.  It depends on a couple of things....
1. Are they at a point now where they are completing the storytelling arc of their lives to date (this is, effectively, Bono's autobiography - there has been a separate discussion somewhere as to whether he'd ever write one.  I think we now have the answer?). So they feel that anything after this tour has to be on a different trajectory.
2. Was there ever an agreed extension to the Live Nation contract?  The rumours have died down.  If there isn't then this leaves the door open to a whole load of possibilities.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 07:38:44 AM »
Word is that theyve signed another 10 year contract with Livenation.  Everything from 360 until this years tour have been under the original contract, and that seems to have worked out well for everyone, why not sign another?  The good news about this is that we are more or less guaranteed U2 tours through the mid 20s, unless something bad happens to one of the band members.

So if this is true, I can possibly foresee a Zoo2 tour, just because its maje a lot of money.  My thought is that a new album wont be ready until 2021 at the earliest.  Maybe theyll combine the new album with the AB anniversary... maybe not.  However, Im not expecting to hear much out of U2 until 2021 at the earliest..

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 08:30:47 AM »
As one who was lucky enough to see several shows on the original tour, NAH, im not really feeling the need for any anniversary shows. I accept im likely in a tiny minority

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 04:52:30 PM »
Hard to imagine a show that opens with Achtung Baby songs followed by Pop and Zooropa songs.  It's a recipe for a half empty arena for the last hour. Sure, the half would be most of the people who frequent this board, so I suspect people will disagree. Pop and Zooropa didn't sell 10 million albums together, while ATYCLB sold 11.5. So, maybe they could open with two popular staples?

They'd have to structure it backwards to keep a crowd in the venue.

Deep down, I just want them to put together one "last" rock (bass, drum, guitar, vocals - that's it) album, recorded on an analog board with everyone in the studio playing together until they could play one take of the song just right. Literally go to a garage in the south of France and write the songs, then do a series of "one take" shots, and with no announcement, put out the record.  It just shows up at radio stations and online on a Friday afternoon so people can hear it on their own all weekend without having to listen to what critics have to say until Monday.

Zooropa Sold 7 million albums worldwide
POP sold 6 million albums worldwide.
Together that's 13 million album sold.