Author Topic: I just don't care anymore  (Read 823 times)

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
Re: I just don't care anymore
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 08:48:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This is what a producer does. The band may come up with the majority of the components of the song, but they have the producer come in to figure out how to connect the components and make it marketable. A writer may write a complete piece, but it is often not fully saleable in its raw form. It requires an editor to clean it up, remove inconsistencies, etc, etc. The producer fills the same role for musicians.

Exactly.........a good example is.  If you listen to the demo of Lou Reed playing "A summer's day."  I know the artist is a bit off topic.  But when Bowie helped to produce it into "Perfect Day."   It all came together. 

gasface257

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 06:09:49 AM »
I no longer care about who does what during productuon. I also no longer care about chasing songs that I’ve never seen performed live. I just want a good album that I can enjoy without comparing it to previous releases and I want them to perform passionately.

So far, so good

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 02:11:16 AM »
The real questions are : "do you like the songs of Daniel Lanois?" or "do you listening to Brian Eno albums?", "do you really like Ryan Tedder and One Republic?". Me, not!!! To me, that means that U2 is writing their songs. If not, I would like Daniel Lanois's album, One Republic or Brian Eno...

About "Summer of love", I remember U2 made a videoclip for a song called "Summer Nights" back in 2014, which, I think, turned to "Summer of love". As we know so far, Brent Kutzle was not involve in "songs of innocence", and he reportly wrote the guitar melody of "Summer of love", but it seems the song was already existing long before he came in the process... so, U2 inspired him in a way ;)

About Brian Eno, he's a great producer with lots of big idea. But I can't listen to a single song he wrote alone. Same for Daniel Lanois. If they were the genius, where are their hits, classic songs? why U2 is more known? why have they worked with U2 so long?

Another thing, Danger Mouse worked with U2 for so long, I love a lot Danger Mouse music, but I can't hear his influence on the band, which means to me that U2 is stronger than any producers in its way.

By the way, I'm still waiting for U2 album really produced by Danger Mouse... Maybe the next one called MANhattan, who knows?

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2018, 06:42:41 AM »
The real questions are : "do you like the songs of Daniel Lanois?" or "do you listening to Brian Eno albums?", "do you really like Ryan Tedder and One Republic?". Me, not!!! To me, that means that U2 is writing their songs. If not, I would like Daniel Lanois's album, One Republic or Brian Eno...

About "Summer of love", I remember U2 made a videoclip for a song called "Summer Nights" back in 2014, which, I think, turned to "Summer of love". As we know so far, Brent Kutzle was not involve in "songs of innocence", and he reportly wrote the guitar melody of "Summer of love", but it seems the song was already existing long before he came in the process... so, U2 inspired him in a way ;)

About Brian Eno, he's a great producer with lots of big idea. But I can't listen to a single song he wrote alone. Same for Daniel Lanois. If they were the genius, where are their hits, classic songs? why U2 is more known? why have they worked with U2 so long?

Another thing, Danger Mouse worked with U2 for so long, I love a lot Danger Mouse music, but I can't hear his influence on the band, which means to me that U2 is stronger than any producers in its way.

By the way, I'm still waiting for U2 album really produced by Danger Mouse... Maybe the next one called MANhattan, who knows?

Very well said.

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 07:54:53 AM »

Very well said.

Thank you!

Online Tortuga

• Stateless
I just don't care anymore
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 08:44:24 PM »

About "Summer of love", I remember U2 made a videoclip for a song called "Summer Nights" back in 2014, which, I think, turned to "Summer of love". As we know so far, Brent Kutzle was not involve in "songs of innocence", and he reportly wrote the guitar melody of "Summer of love", but it seems the song was already existing long before he came in the process... so, U2 inspired him in a way

I don’t get the point of this.  Music is not a competition.  If you like Lanois and know his work, you’re going to hear and appreciate his influence in U2’s work.  If you don’t, you probably won’t.  That he or Eno haven’t had a “hit” is irrelevant.  They’re not trying to make the kind of music that will get played on the radio.  Do you really think experimental ambient music would be expected to produce a “hit”?

George Martin never had a hit but no one would suggest he didn’t have a significant role in the songs the Beatles composed.  Lanois’ “The Maker” has been covered many times.  Those musician’s enjoy his music and reflect his influence as a composer.  He is often cited as a significant influence by artists for his own work, not just his production.

I just don’t get the need to think U2 isn’t helped by other musicians.  It doesn’t denigrate their huge artistic achievements in any way.  Pop and Rock music are, by their very nature derivative.  Music is collaborative art. Artist build off one another’s accomplishments.

I’m pretty sure U2 is not insecure about acknowledging the contributions of others...they have done so often.

Most of the music I have had the pleasure to enjoy I have found out about by listening to all the musicians credited in the liner notes and exploring cited influences of my favorite artists.  U2 led me to Robbie Robertson and Daniel Lanois.  I cannot imagine anyone who really likes U2 not liking these two artists.  If you like JT-era U2, listen to Robbie Robertson dual with the Edge in a guitar solo and Bono sing back-up.  Listen to Lanois and Bono perform together on Falling At Your Feet.  This is what music is really about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:51:26 PM by Tortuga »

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 09:14:10 PM »
I don't think the debate is between "it's the producers doing all the work" and "the producers are doing nothing."

I think it's between "U2 are a good band but let's face it,  they rely extensively on producers" and "U2 are absolutely helped by their producers, but they are the artists and the driving force, not the other way around."

Online Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 09:43:15 PM »
I don't think the debate is between "it's the producers doing all the work" and "the producers are doing nothing."

I think it's between "U2 are a good band but let's face it,  they rely extensively on producers" and "U2 are absolutely helped by their producers, but they are the artists and the driving force, not the other way around."

If you have to take sides its the latter but its still a pointless question.  Falling at your Feet was on Lanois’ album Shine and the MDH soundtrack.  Bono and Lanois’ are co-credited as writers.  So who was most responsible for it?  Who cares?  Its a great song made by two fantastic artists working together.  We all know the lyrics sound nothing like Lanois and exactly like Bono, just like we know that “One” hammer on riff sounds just like Lanois and nothing like Edge.  But who cares?  They are all brilliant artists.  Its like arguing who’s better, God or Jesus?

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2018, 02:21:33 AM »

About "Summer of love", I remember U2 made a videoclip for a song called "Summer Nights" back in 2014, which, I think, turned to "Summer of love". As we know so far, Brent Kutzle was not involve in "songs of innocence", and he reportly wrote the guitar melody of "Summer of love", but it seems the song was already existing long before he came in the process... so, U2 inspired him in a way

I don’t get the point of this.  Music is not a competition.  If you like Lanois and know his work, you’re going to hear and appreciate his influence in U2’s work.  If you don’t, you probably won’t.  That he or Eno haven’t had a “hit” is irrelevant.  They’re not trying to make the kind of music that will get played on the radio.  Do you really think experimental ambient music would be expected to produce a “hit”?

George Martin never had a hit but no one would suggest he didn’t have a significant role in the songs the Beatles composed.  Lanois’ “The Maker” has been covered many times.  Those musician’s enjoy his music and reflect his influence as a composer.  He is often cited as a significant influence by artists for his own work, not just his production.

I just don’t get the need to think U2 isn’t helped by other musicians.  It doesn’t denigrate their huge artistic achievements in any way.  Pop and Rock music are, by their very nature derivative.  Music is collaborative art. Artist build off one another’s accomplishments.

I’m pretty sure U2 is not insecure about acknowledging the contributions of others...they have done so often.

Most of the music I have had the pleasure to enjoy I have found out about by listening to all the musicians credited in the liner notes and exploring cited influences of my favorite artists.  U2 led me to Robbie Robertson and Daniel Lanois.  I cannot imagine anyone who really likes U2 not liking these two artists.  If you like JT-era U2, listen to Robbie Robertson dual with the Edge in a guitar solo and Bono sing back-up.  Listen to Lanois and Bono perform together on Falling At Your Feet.  This is what music is really about.

I understand your point. I love Daniel Lanois as a producer, he's fantastic, his work with U2, Neil Young or Bob Dylan are great, but that's all. You gave two examples, Robbie Robertson is a great artist and the song you're talking about was co-written by U2, so, yeah, this is a great song. The other one is "Falling at your feet" which is a great song too!! This song is on MDH album and an album of Daniel Lanois called "Shine".  Have you heard this album? I bought it at the time. There's only one good song on it, and it's "Falling at your feet". With all the respect I have for Daniel Lanois, don't you think he would like a carrier like U2? Come  on.

Now, about "One", that's the first time I'm hearing Daniel Lanois wrote this song. In the documentary "From the sky down", U2 show the way "One" was born from a progression of chords improvised by THE EDGE during a jam of "Sick Puppets" that became "Mysterious Ways".

This band is honest! Everytime U2 collaborate with an artist, he was credited.

If you like U2, why searching to destroy the myth all the time? Please.

Online Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2018, 06:59:06 AM »

I understand your point. I love Daniel Lanois as a producer, he's fantastic, his work with U2, Neil Young or Bob Dylan are great, but that's all. You gave two examples, Robbie Robertson is a great artist and the song you're talking about was co-written by U2, so, yeah, this is a great song. The other one is "Falling at your feet" which is a great song too!! This song is on MDH album and an album of Daniel Lanois called "Shine".  Have you heard this album? I bought it at the time. There's only one good song on it, and it's "Falling at your feet". With all the respect I have for Daniel Lanois, don't you think he would like a carrier like U2? Come  on.

Now, about "One", that's the first time I'm hearing Daniel Lanois wrote this song. In the documentary "From the sky down", U2 show the way "One" was born from a progression of chords improvised by THE EDGE during a jam of "Sick Puppets" that became "Mysterious Ways".

Lanois did not write one.  I was suggesting only that the hammer-on riff came from him.

I think nearly every song on Shine is great.  Come on, surely you liked “I Love You”.  You think Sweet Fire of Love, the song co-written by U2 was good but not the rest?  Rod Stewart covered “Broken Arrow”. Off that album and had a major hit.  Robbie Robertson is one of the most recognized song writers in the history of American music.  (Notwithstanding that Levon Helm said he was the inspiration for the lyrics and Robbie never gave him credit AND rhere is much scuttlebut that Robertson was a blatant artistic thief and never gave credit to anyone.  That’s a different story.)

But again, arguments like this are just silly.  Different people like different music.  Are you trying to apply the transitive property of math to music?  “I like U2.  I don’t like Lanois.  Therefore Lanois cannot have anything to do with my liking U2.”  I’m not trying to argue that Lanois is a great composer.  That’s a matter of personal taste and opinion.  I just don’t think it makes sense for a fan of U2 to feel they need to set up arguments that they don’t get significant help from their collaborators.  ALL artists need outside influence to stay fresh.  That’s why U2 doesn’t use the same producers for every album. 

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2018, 08:44:05 AM »

Lanois did not write one.  I was suggesting only that the hammer-on riff came from him.

I think nearly every song on Shine is great.  Come on, surely you liked “I Love You”.  You think Sweet Fire of Love, the song co-written by U2 was good but not the rest?  Rod Stewart covered “Broken Arrow”. Off that album and had a major hit.  Robbie Robertson is one of the most recognized song writers in the history of American music.  (Notwithstanding that Levon Helm said he was the inspiration for the lyrics and Robbie never gave him credit AND rhere is much scuttlebut that Robertson was a blatant artistic thief and never gave credit to anyone.  That’s a different story.)

But again, arguments like this are just silly.  Different people like different music.  Are you trying to apply the transitive property of math to music?  “I like U2.  I don’t like Lanois.  Therefore Lanois cannot have anything to do with my liking U2.”  I’m not trying to argue that Lanois is a great composer.  That’s a matter of personal taste and opinion.  I just don’t think it makes sense for a fan of U2 to feel they need to set up arguments that they don’t get significant help from their collaborators.  ALL artists need outside influence to stay fresh.  That’s why U2 doesn’t use the same producers for every album. 

I like Robbie Robertson as an artist, I told it earlier, and I like all his first solo album as well, but we were talking about producers as ghostwriters of U2 songs, which I think is totally untrue and unfair regarding the legacy of the band. Hope you understand...

Online Tortuga

• Stateless
I just don't care anymore
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2018, 10:10:04 AM »

I like Robbie Robertson as an artist, I told it earlier, and I like all his first solo album as well, but we were talking about producers as ghostwriters of U2 songs, which I think is totally untrue and unfair regarding the legacy of the band. Hope you understand...

Fair enough.  I couldn’t care less about the legacy of the band or who wrote what relative to their producers.  I don’t draw a line between the two.  U2 is four guys but it is also a body of a work with help from lots of people.  I just like the music and that is all I really care about.

For what its worth, I don’t think their legacy is anywhere near threatened.  Any music scholar who would opine on their legacy knows this degree of collaboration or “ghost writing” is within the range of what is commonly accepted without judgement.  But their producers will be given credit, just as George Martin is often called the fifth Beatle.  I don’t know why that would bother anyone but I guess it does bother some people.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 10:55:04 AM by Tortuga »

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2018, 11:12:32 AM »
I think everyone is arguing semantics.

Does anyone here think U2 are a group of hacks who perform ghostwritten songs? No?
Does anyone here think U2 crafted every little note and nuance all by their foursome? No?

I'd say that we all believe U2 are a talented band who write their own songs, but who hire producers to edit, give feedback, push them, add their ideas. Like every other goddamn artist out there.

Credit to U2? GIVEN.
Credit to producers? GIVEN.

I think that, bottom line, some people are feeling insecure, wondering if this band they admire so much might actually just be smoke and mirrors. THEY AREN'T. They are as talented as you originally thought. Maybe even more so. But that doesn't mean the producers aren't part of the process. AND THAT'S OK AND INDUSTRY STANDARD. Just like Stephen King has an editor - of course he does. But he is still the goddamn writer.

Online Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2018, 05:40:43 PM »
I think everyone is arguing semantics.

Does anyone here think U2 are a group of hacks who perform ghostwritten songs? No?
Does anyone here think U2 crafted every little note and nuance all by their foursome? No?

I'd say that we all believe U2 are a talented band who write their own songs, but who hire producers to edit, give feedback, push them, add their ideas. Like every other goddamn artist out there.

Credit to U2? GIVEN.
Credit to producers? GIVEN.

I think that, bottom line, some people are feeling insecure, wondering if this band they admire so much might actually just be smoke and mirrors. THEY AREN'T. They are as talented as you originally thought. Maybe even more so. But that doesn't mean the producers aren't part of the process. AND THAT'S OK AND INDUSTRY STANDARD. Just like Stephen King has an editor - of course he does. But he is still the goddamn writer.

I agree 100%.