Author Topic: I just don't care anymore  (Read 1072 times)

asterik

I just don't care anymore
« on: July 08, 2018, 02:11:40 AM »
Every week I find out that one of my favourite songs had been completed using external material (ie not from the band's own creative mind) Summer Of Love, Lights Of Home, etc. Or other things such as finding out Daniel Lanios played most of the acoustic guitar in RTAST, or that he derived the riff for One.

For a while finding out these things got me down and I kind of started doubting the band's creative ability, but I'm pretty much desensitized to it now, because the more research I do I inevitably find out that another riff/chorus/melody/lyric/ was borrowed or taken from another source, or that the producers were responsible for a large portion of one of my favourite songs.

So really I've just come to expect it now, there could be plenty of other classic U2 songs that had significant input from producers or external sources, I've decided to just enjoy the music regardless. No other music comes close to the emotional level of U2. I don't care how the songs were put together, they still sound great.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:47:52 PM by asterik »

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
Re: I just don't care anymore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 03:44:51 AM »
What is RTAST? Did you mean Running to Stand Still?

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 04:10:34 AM »
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief

asterik

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 04:29:21 AM »
What is RTAST? Did you mean Running to Stand Still?

yes

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 08:13:05 AM »
If you listen to the solo work of Lanois you can hear how influential he was. Kraftwerk even called described the relationship between music and technology to be one of 'showroom dummies'.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 09:26:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you listen to the solo work of Lanois you can hear how influential he was. Kraftwerk even called described the relationship between music and technology to be one of 'showroom dummies'.

You can hear Lanoisí guitar playing all over Achtung and ATYCLB.  One Step Closer sounds very Lanois.

I donít understand why this seems to bother some people.  The music is the music.  Why does it matter who did what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 09:35:59 AM »
U2 are in show business, so obviously they present an image that is not always reality.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 10:05:36 AM »
Few artists donít collaborate with their producers or additional musicians in the studio. However Iím surprised to hear you say Lanois came up with the riff for One. Where did you hear that? According to From the Sky Down, Edge came up with the riffs. Though if I remember right, Lanois may have suggested re-ordering them.

Also, which melodies or lyrics were borrowed?

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 11:34:37 AM »
Few artists donít collaborate with their producers or additional musicians in the studio. However Iím surprised to hear you say Lanois came up with the riff for One. Where did you hear that? According to From the Sky Down, Edge came up with the riffs. Though if I remember right, Lanois may have suggested re-ordering them.

A quick google turned up this...its the only riff in the song with hammer-ons and that riff is almost all hammer-ons, so its really the only riff he could be talking about.  I think if you google more you will find other references because Iím pretty sure this is not where I originally heard it.  Probably read it in a guitar magazine back in the day.  I remember Edge joking that it was hard for him to play with the same feel Lanois gave it, or something like that.  I have the sky down dvd you are talking about.  If I get some down time I might check it out and see what it says.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:36:51 AM by Tortuga »

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 11:36:13 AM »
I donít know what youíre talking about on the borrowed melodies and lyrics.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 03:58:30 PM »
This is what a producer does. The band may come up with the majority of the components of the song, but they have the producer come in to figure out how to connect the components and make it marketable. A writer may write a complete piece, but it is often not fully saleable in its raw form. It requires an editor to clean it up, remove inconsistencies, etc, etc. The producer fills the same role for musicians.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 04:02:20 PM »

A quick google turned up this...its the only riff in the song with hammer-ons and that riff is almost all hammer-ons, so its really the only riff he could be talking about.  I think if you google more you will find other references because Iím pretty sure this is not where I originally heard it.  Probably read it in a guitar magazine back in the day.  I remember Edge joking that it was hard for him to play with the same feel Lanois gave it, or something like that.  I have the sky down dvd you are talking about.  If I get some down time I might check it out and see what it says.

Thanks for the info. So itís something that was added in the final stages after they went back to Dublin.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 04:20:20 PM by Luzita »

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 04:09:07 PM »
I donít know what youíre talking about on the borrowed melodies and lyrics.

Iím referring back to the original posterís comment about borrowed ďriff/chorus/melody/lyrics.Ē

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »
Not sure I see what the problem is.  There have always been collaborations and guest musicians.  Rob Thomas had Carlos Santana and Thin Lizzy once had Mark Knopfler etc.  So what if Lanois played acoustic?  It just adds to the music and makes it better.  Edge has a huge work load guitar as it is.  If you have a good producer that is what happens they help make things as good as they can be and work with their bands.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 06:20:14 PM »
Not sure I see what the problem is.  There have always been collaborations and guest musicians.  Rob Thomas had Carlos Santana and Thin Lizzy once had Mark Knopfler etc.  So what if Lanois played acoustic?  It just adds to the music and makes it better.  Edge has a huge work load guitar as it is.  If you have a good producer that is what happens they help make things as good as they can be and work with their bands.

Amenn Summerholly!