Author Topic: Pop is already a top 3 U2 album - so imagine if they had finished it..  (Read 1037 times)

Offline asterik

• Babyface
After the length of time they had to create the thing, I might say having to deliver it, despite their preference otherwise, could be viewed as a blessing in disguise.

I've always wondered this

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
I always found the thought of the album being unfinished absurd. It is ten times better than any of the polished albums that followed it - bigger sounds, more explorative and inventive even chaotic. U2 was at their creative highpoint in the 90's and if they had been in the 00's mindset they would have polished it to death and taken all life out of the songs.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
I've never gotten an unfinished vibe at all. I guess I wish we had a better take on DYFL (just the vocal track, instruments are fine) but even that one I like (it's just so mumbled in places).

Playboy Mansion has dated lyrics around its neck. Still like it. Probably they should have gone with less dated lyrics but I see the temptation - the theme isn't dated but it's about people who care about whatever's in and you can't give good examples without dating them. I'm sure it could have been done better though.

No, I think "unfinished" is them caving to the pressure of opinion. Maybe a few parts - but I could say that about TJT too. Like, why can't I even bleeding HEAR the last 2 songs on that album?

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've never gotten an unfinished vibe at all. I guess I wish we had a better take on DYFL (just the vocal track, instruments are fine) but even that one I like (it's just so mumbled in places).

Playboy Mansion has dated lyrics around its neck. Still like it. Probably they should have gone with less dated lyrics but I see the temptation - the theme isn't dated but it's about people who care about whatever's in and you can't give good examples without dating them. I'm sure it could have been done better though.

No, I think "unfinished" is them caving to the pressure of opinion. Maybe a few parts - but I could say that about TJT too. Like, why can't I even bleeding HEAR the last 2 songs on that album?

I agree.

DYFL needed a better vocal mix for sure. Mofo needed to be more like the live version, like with more wah-wah guitar and the structure the live version had. IGWSHA's single mix was the right version, as was the case with Please. TPM, like you said, needed less-dated lyrics but that was hard to do given the nature of the song. Velvet Dress was near-perfect but there just needed to be something slightly changed; although I'm not sure what so it could be left alone.

Discotheque, SATS, Gone, LNOE, WUDM, and Miami (for as much as it was going to be) were perfect.

The two biggest problems with the album were that Miami came after Gone and killed the really good flow of the first seven tracks, and TPM had some dated lyrics that, along with Miami, hurt the other-worldly-but-still-on-Earth vibe the album had going in the first seven tracks. Have the first seven tracks, then Velvet Dress and the rest of the album, and you have a perfect album imo.

Offline asterik

• Babyface
If they gotten that extra 3 months to finish it as Larry stated, then I can only imagine that Pop would have been the greatest U2 album by far.

What staggers me is that the album is already a top 3 U2 album even though it was severely rushed and underdone. One can only imagine how great Pop could have been it they didn't have time constraints to work towards.

Alternatively, perhaps the fact the band had a set time limit, possibly is what resulted in the greatness of that album?

More like bottom 3 U2 album. At least half the songs need to be re-recorded and probably re-written.

Really? Pop is U2's best album lyrically, it's great.

Offline asterik

• Babyface
There are a couple of good songs on Pop, but top 3 - simply crazy in my opinion.

Discotheque is almost as bad as Get On Your Boots. Mofo, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Wake Up Dead Man...all snoozers.

The B-Side Holy Joe is better than most of the album.

The remix of If God Will send was great, and I love Playboy Mansion. Please was good live as a wanna be Bad with more political overtones.

Mofo and Discotheque are by a long shot the 2 best songs on the album.

Offline asterik

• Babyface
Anyone who thinks the album needed MORE time I think is mistaken.  The thing was already delayed when it finally came out.  The album is what it is, and more time would likely only have made it worse.  Look at the versions of the songs on the 1990-2000 set as evidence of what MORE time would have done.

It's a good album.  It was never going to be their best.

Really? It's well documented that they needed another few months to finish off Pop and develop the songs further. Extra time to work on the album would on be beneficial. How on earth would extra time make it worse?

Offline asterik

• Babyface
Anyone who thinks the album needed MORE time I think is mistaken.  The thing was already delayed when it finally came out.  The album is what it is, and more time would likely only have made it worse.  Look at the versions of the songs on the 1990-2000 set as evidence of what MORE time would have done.

The album was mistakenly timed to a tour that U2 for various reasons did not want to delay or couldn't delay. That's a bad situation to be in when your struggling to make an album. The schedule and commercial considerations became more important than the art and the album became rushed. The band has said this and stated they would never put themselves in that situation again ever.

Is that why we get 5 year gaps between albums now?

U2 spend too much time over-thinking their songs now.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
POP is top 3rd-tier U2 at best. Not actual top 3 by any stretch, but up there in a decent position. Any U2 fan who acknowledges the opinions of other U2 fans as a whole would probably agree.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated

Really? It's well documented that they needed another few months to finish off Pop and develop the songs further. Extra time to work on the album would on be beneficial. How on earth would extra time make it worse?

Because they managed to make every Pop track worse when they put out the 1990-2000 set—when they had more time to “fix” those songs.

I’m well aware of the story about the album and how they wanted more time. I just don’t necessarily believe it would have made the album better than it already was. You said yourself in the next post: the band has a tendency to overthink things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
I prefer experimental U2.  I was living Pop when Pop was released and loved it.  But in my opinion, most of Pop hasn't aged very well.  That being said,  I'd personally take five Pop albums over one U2-playing-it-safe album.  But that's, like, my opinion, man.

These blanket statements to start out threads lately are hilarious...

And maybe this is it's own topic for a different thread, but even my dog knows that The Unforgettable Fire is U2's third greatest album.  If you don't agree with me, you're wrong, obviously have a horrible opinion, bad taste in music, and I question your moral character...  ;)

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
More time? Look what happened on the SOE - they had TOO MUCH time and over produced it into bland-ness.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
I prefer experimental U2.  I was living Pop when Pop was released and loved it.  But in my opinion, most of Pop hasn't aged very well.  That being said,  I'd personally take five Pop albums over one U2-playing-it-safe album.  But that's, like, my opinion, man.

These blanket statements to start out threads lately are hilarious...

And maybe this is it's own topic for a different thread, but even my dog knows that The Unforgettable Fire is U2's third greatest album.  If you don't agree with me, you're wrong, obviously have a horrible opinion, bad taste in music, and I question your moral character...  ;)

You clearly aren't a true U2 fan since the third best is clearly Zooropa. God, I feel sorry for your family. And your dog.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
Pop is a great album, but I think the single versions of IGWSHA, LNOE and Please are all better than the versions on the album. Also, I agree that Miami and TPM following Gone kind of kills the mood and the flow of the album. Holy Joe should be placed after Gone and then go straight to Velvet Dress.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
Yeah, I like Miami and TPM but earlier, right after Discotheque. They are pre-takeoff. I stick LNOE and Gone together.

I have the Rotterdam bootleg, and unfortunately the vocals aren't the best throughout (though he starts hitting his stride at some point) and I wish I could get it from the mixing desk since the sound is, while pretty good, not perfect. But anyway I really like that version of Miami. It rocks harder. Also some stuff they did with Mofo liv in general was great. But this is standard for U2 and not specific to Pop. Bullet, Exit, Bad, etc. all way better live.