Author Topic: Pop is already a top 3 U2 album - so imagine if they had finished it..  (Read 648 times)

Offline asterik

• Babyface
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anyone who thinks the album needed MORE time I think is mistaken.  The thing was already delayed when it finally came out.  The album is what it is, and more time would likely only have made it worse.  Look at the versions of the songs on the 1990-2000 set as evidence of what MORE time would have done.

It's a good album.  It was never going to be their best.

Really? It's well documented that they needed another few months to finish off Pop and develop the songs further. Extra time to work on the album would on be beneficial. How on earth would extra time make it worse?

Because they managed to make every Pop track worse when they put out the 1990-2000 set—when they had more time to “fix” those songs.

I’m well aware of the story about the album and how they wanted more time. I just don’t necessarily believe it would have made the album better than it already was. You said yourself in the next post: the band has a tendency to overthink things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't believe they had much time to work on the re-make versions? They would have had other commitments
The band said they needed another 4 months to finish the album.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
Anyone who thinks the album needed MORE time I think is mistaken.  The thing was already delayed when it finally came out.  The album is what it is, and more time would likely only have made it worse.  Look at the versions of the songs on the 1990-2000 set as evidence of what MORE time would have done.

Ok, unfinished/needs work or re-recorded/re-written:

If God Will send his Angels
Staring At the Sun
Last Night On Earth
Miami
Gone
Please
Wake Up Dead Man

The album was mistakenly timed to a tour that U2 for various reasons did not want to delay or couldn't delay. That's a bad situation to be in when your struggling to make an album. The schedule and commercial considerations became more important than the art and the album became rushed. The band has said this and stated they would never put themselves in that situation again ever.

That's a fair enough assessment, but I don't hear anything in the album that I would describe as "unfinished".  After the length of time they had to create the thing, I might say having to deliver it, despite their preference otherwise, could be viewed as a blessing in disguise.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Pop is already a top 3 U2 album - so imagine if they had finished it..
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 05:04:58 PM »

Really? It's well documented that they needed another few months to finish off Pop and develop the songs further. Extra time to work on the album would on be beneficial. How on earth would extra time make it worse?

Because they managed to make every Pop track worse when they put out the 1990-2000 set—when they had more time to “fix” those songs.

I’m well aware of the story about the album and how they wanted more time. I just don’t necessarily believe it would have made the album better than it already was. You said yourself in the next post: the band has a tendency to overthink things.

I don't believe they had much time to work on the re-make versions? They would have had other commitments
The band said they needed another 4 months to finish the album.

I contend that if they were able to stink up the Pop tracks in what little time they had for that set, there’s no guarantee that even MORE time would make things even better.

I truly don’t understand the compulsion to imagine Pop would have been better than it already is. The songs are the songs—any changes during the last stretch of recording would be mostly window dressing to the songs we all know (and love, or like, or hate). I can’t prove to you that the tracks Wons mentioned COULDN’T be improved, but at that point you can consider literally any track “unfinished”, and wish or imagine it could have been better. That seems like a terrible way to look at things. Swap out the single versions for the album ones if you want, it still doesn’t change my opinion on the album.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
The other forum has many members that worship Pop.  For me, it's somewhere in the mid-tier.  Not their best, not their worst.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
I think we kind of did get the "finished album" with the single versions of Please and Last Night on Earth, which were the two tracks that really did sound unfinished on the album.  The rest of it sounds good production-wise, I think.  Fantastic album.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
I prefer experimental U2.  I was living Pop when Pop was released and loved it.  But in my opinion, most of Pop hasn't aged very well.  That being said,  I'd personally take five Pop albums over one U2-playing-it-safe album.  But that's, like, my opinion, man.

These blanket statements to start out threads lately are hilarious...

And maybe this is it's own topic for a different thread, but even my dog knows that The Unforgettable Fire is U2's third greatest album.  If you don't agree with me, you're wrong, obviously have a horrible opinion, bad taste in music, and I question your moral character...  ;)

I totally agree, but I think there are some songs that have aged well on Pop, like Staring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth, and The Playboy Mansion (minus some of the lyrics). I do agree that experimental and adventurous U2 is best U2, and TUF was the band doing so for its time. It's a great album, in general, anyways. Many bands would kill to have songs as high quality as ASOH, Pride, Bad, TUF (song), and MLK in their discography, let alone on the same album. Wire, 4th of July, Promenade, and Indian Summer Sky are nothing to scoff at either (Elvis Presley and America is the only weak track imo). All the makings were there for TJT and the jam-packed tracklisting there.

Zooropa is similar to TUF, and I wish that U2 had really double-downed on their purple patch for Pop, like TJT did in relation to TUF. Zooropa has some stellar songs (Zooropa, Lemon, Stay, The First Time, The Wanderer) and some good tracks that push the envelope of U2's sound (Some Days, Daddy's) and still sound pretty fresh to this day (Numb, especially and its bass-heavy beat). Pop should've been a blockbuster like TJT was going to be, and it almost turned out to be that way had they just taken a less-satirical approach to everything, but then again it wouldn't have Pop if it would've been like that lol

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
The only changes I'd make about "Pop" are:

-put on the single version of Discotheque instead of the album version
-mix the finished lyrics from the single version of "If God Will Send His Angels" over the Bongolese and leave intact that fascinating outro with the keyboards and bass
-mix the finished lyrics from the single version of "Last Night On Earth" over the Bongolese of the album version and leave that one otherwise intact
-replace the bass part on the album version of "Please" that's in the wrong key with that bass part played in the correct key

And then pop it into your player and see what happens!