Author Topic: Has U2 chosen not to experiment further, or are they just not capable anymore?  (Read 689 times)

Offline asterik

• Babyface
I'm inclined to believe the former because of SLABT and Crystal Ballroom from SOI.

But I was quite disappointed with SOE, because their sound hasn't gone forward or evolved any further. Although, I think Love Is All We Have Left and Book Of Heart was a step in the right direction.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:27:05 AM by asterik »

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
I think it goes in phases.  ATYCLB and HTDAAB were kind of a U2 by the numbers phase.  The last two have been kind of mainstream overall with notable exceptions.  I t will be interesting to see if we get another Lanois/Eno album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gasface257

• Babyface
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm inclined to believe the former because of SLABT and Crystal Ballroom from SOI.

But I was quite disappointed with SOE, because their sound hasn't gone forward or evolved any further. Although, I think Love Is All We Have Left and St Peter Strings was a step in the right direction.

Ever consider that they are already experimenting, but you just don't like the results?

Are you looking for POP 2?

What type of experimentation are you specifically looking for?

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
It can be two things.

I see folks on here talk about how experimental NLOTH was.  And yeah, Fez was pretty different.  But for all of that, I don't think it was very GOOD.  Writing lyrics in the style of computer commands in Unknown Caller might be "experimental" but it's a terrible song.  I think people settle down with age, maybe don't strive to be so "experimental"--they rely on more familiar structures, they maybe hone and refine their craft, and see "experimentation" as being self-indulgent, trying too hard, or something else.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
I think that they are experimenting, but it's just in a different vein than in the past.  Sixty year old men are not going to be putting out a Zooropa or Pop sound-alike.  They are of course more reflective and have a long history to look back upon and mine for ideas/concepts.

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
For me the definition of experimental is just something pretty different than anything that you’ve done before, or if you want to be more stringent, than anything anyone has done before.  Obviously, the longer you’ve been making music the harder it is to do something you’ve never done before.  So on SOE, LIAWHL, is somewhat experimental (although the vocoder/pitchshift effect is pretty standard fare these days but the song structure is somewhat atypical).  GOOYOW is not at all experimental as its really just a re-arranging of Beautiful Day, which itself was already U2 by the numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:31:37 PM by Tortuga »

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
i think they did experiment on the last two albums.  There's nothing left to do in music.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
Sixty year old men are not going to be putting out a Zooropa or Pop sound-alike.  They are of course more reflective and have a long history to look back upon and mine for ideas/concepts.

Why not? I found Pop and Zooropa to be extremely reflective albums. Does U2 have to be boring because they are 50+? They were approaching 40 when they did Pop.

Online laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
I don't think the last two albums were as experimental as Achtung Baby - that was groundbreaking as hell - but I do feel they were fairly experimental. I hear new sounds in several songs. Others are in the "current" rockpop style, not groundbreaking but a new subgenre for them - and while U2 aren't popular with the kids they seem to like the songs if they don't know they are done by old geezers (e.g. Summer of Love, Red Flag Day).

I'm not intimate with NLOTH yet but from what I know so far it's experimental.

God, they've broken so many molds.

Offline asterik

• Babyface

But I was quite disappointed with SOE, because their sound hasn't gone forward or evolved any further. Although, I think Love Is All We Have Left and St Peter Strings was a step in the right direction.

Ever consider that they are already experimenting, but you just don't like the results?

At their age they'd be very well suited for an ambient reflective sound - for example:

If You Were That Velvet Dress, Your Blue Room, Book Of Your Heart, SLABT

Offline asterik

• Babyface
It can be two things.

I see folks on here talk about how experimental NLOTH was.  And yeah, Fez was pretty different.  But for all of that, I don't think it was very GOOD.  Writing lyrics in the style of computer commands in Unknown Caller might be "experimental" but it's a terrible song.  I think people settle down with age, maybe don't strive to be so "experimental"--they rely on more familiar structures, they maybe hone and refine their craft, and see "experimentation" as being self-indulgent, trying too hard, or something else.

SOI had a healthy mix of experimentation covering new ground as well as retaining that classic U2 sound. SOE on the other hand was in my opinion, way too over-polished and overproduced (best example is Blackout).

Offline asterik

• Babyface
Sixty year old men are not going to be putting out a Zooropa or Pop sound-alike.  They are of course more reflective and have a long history to look back upon and mine for ideas/concepts.

Why not? I found Pop and Zooropa to be extremely reflective albums. Does U2 have to be boring because they are 50+? They were approaching 40 when they did Pop.

Agree, the band is well positioned to release another passengers 1995 sounding album, they are certainly capable of it.

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
U2's still experimenting. In fact, U2 never stopped experimenting...
- The Blackout
- Love is all we have left
- Lights of home
- Summer of love
- Book of your heart
- Love is bigger than anything in its way
- Invisible
- California
- Iris
- Sleep like a baby tonight
- This is where you can reach me now
- The Troubles
- Crystal Ballroom
- I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight live
- Get on your boots (yeah)
- No line on the horizon
- Magnificent
- Fez - being born
- White as snow
- Soon
- Levitate
- Stateless
- When I look at the world...

Offline gasface257

• Babyface

At their age they'd be very well suited for an ambient reflective sound - for example:

If You Were That Velvet Dress, Your Blue Room, Book Of Your Heart, SLABT

How would it be experimental if it is ground they have already covered?

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
Nothing else to do except stuff we don’t want. Full on heavy rock or extreme pop with a rap section instead of guitar solos