Author Topic: The Joshua Tree is over-rated  (Read 785 times)

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
  • Don't mind me... just some cool guy.
Re: The Joshua Tree is over-rated
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 02:53:40 PM »
While I don't fully agree, since I still love TJT despite it not being my favorite U2 album, it's really healthy and good to see opinions like this. I like seeing varying thoughts about all of their work instead of full agreement that a specific album is untouchable.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 05:14:45 PM »
While Iím fully aware that opinions canít be wrong, this thread is doing its darndest to prove otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 05:57:19 PM »
The Joshua Tree album seems to hang together thematically and lyrically better than most of their albums.  For that reason, I place it in the top five.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 08:59:55 PM »
Even without the first three songs, it would be as good as their other 80s albums.  With the first three songs, it's easily one of the greatest albums of all time and is U2's best or second best album.  Hardcore fans get down on hits like WOWY and I Still Haven't Found for being overplayed, but they're played so much because they're great. 

Also, Trip Through Your Wires is an incredible song and is massively underrated.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 12:36:48 PM »
I think that there are a few drastically overrated songs on the album, but they aren't terrible. To me, the album is as close to a perfect album as one can possibly get, and I think I'd like it even more if ISHFWILF and WOWY weren't horribly overplayed on 80s radio stations.

Offline welshguy77

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 04:49:27 PM »
The Joshua Tree is U2's 2nd best album after Achtung Baby.  The first 5 songs on the album are also the 5 best songs on the album, though Exit, One Tree Hill and In God's Country are also excellent.  It is not over rated but everyone is entitled to their opinion of course.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 05:36:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think WOWY was one of their weakest singles followed by ISHFWILF which was just as weak.  That's not to say they were terrible songs, but to me, the other songs were much better.  Streets is still a great song, BTBS, IGC and Exit are phenomenal songs.  While I prefer the ZooTV version of RTSS, it's original version is still powerful.

The B-Sides were perhaps their best.
i think the majority of fans would highly disagree with you on this, but to each their own.

Offline davis

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2018, 06:48:34 PM »
While Iím fully aware that opinions canít be wrong

Of course opinions can be wrong.  Including (in my opinion) the one that started this thread.  An opinion is just a belief, and it is entirely possible to believe something that isn't true. 

If the OP had said, "I don't like the Joshua Tree as much as most people do," then there'd be no problem. 

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 08:11:09 PM »
WOWY one of their weakest tunes?  Yeah, that's pretty out there.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 06:05:06 AM »
While Iím fully aware that opinions canít be wrong

Of course opinions can be wrong.  Including (in my opinion) the one that started this thread.  An opinion is just a belief, and it is entirely possible to believe something that isn't true. 

If the OP had said, "I don't like the Joshua Tree as much as most people do," then there'd be no problem. 

Yeah this. Thanks for speaking sensibly.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 11:06:40 AM »
I think someone's age is a factor on looking at a band's full career.  For me, i became a fan after AB and Zooropa were already released so i wasn't able to experience them when they were first released and never realized just how truly innovative they were in the moment.
Joshua Tree was a huge step forward for the band and songs like WTSHNN and WOWOY truly are groundbreaking.  For someone looking back after hearing them a thousand times, they might just be two more songs by U2-  but those are masterpieces that the band went to a higher level to write.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 05:11:22 PM »
TJT has the best Side Two of any album ever.   That combined with Streets and Bullet on Side One easily puts it at the top of my list.    I was never a big fan of WOWY or ISHFWILF but at least recognize the significance of the latter. 

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2018, 05:11:52 PM »
I find it tedious and lacking of innovation and the staying power of the 90's albums.

I think Achtung Baby and Pop (lyrically their best and musically their most creative albums) deserve the top spots then UF/War/Zooropa/JT in any order.

Well that is fine we all have our favorites.  But if it weren't for TJT U2 would not have had the freedom, money or inspiration/desire to make AB.

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 02:01:29 PM »
I was just watching the film Nostalgia by Mark Pellington, and it has reminded me how much the objects we associate ourselves with carry certain memories and moods for us, that's how I tend to look at music too, Joshua Tree is not just an album to me, it contains a feeling and vision that can carry me for days if I let it. It gives me such a feeling of freedom, discovery and mystery, it's a myth-maker, for it creates a world that was not there yet before this album. It transports me, it transforms me and it baptizes me, and at the end when it finishes I feel like I came through as a completely new person. It is an extremely deep music there touching your subconscious, there's a hidden magic behind it working through you.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 12:06:22 AM by Sunchild »

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 04:47:28 PM »
Wow - a click-bait thread if I've ever seen one!

U2 has put out two masterpieces - The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. TJT has aged better IMHO. One of the really impressive things about that album is how it is NOT representative of its time (the mid-80s) in terms of its production. Since AB U2 has seemed to want to sound very 'now', which means each album dates very quickly I think. AB has some great songs on it, but I don't think the production is as good as it could have been. And the opening of Streets still gives me goosebumps. Every. Single. Time.

The Joshua Tree made the band superstars, and Achtung Baby gave them credibility and longevity.