Author Topic: Is the Edge one of the greatest songwriters/musicians of all time?  (Read 1045 times)

Offline asterik

• Babyface
I would say from his generation surely 

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: Is the Edge one of the greatest songwriters/musicians of all time?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 06:12:27 PM »
I think he's certainly done some things that no one did before him and has been imitated to a great degree.  So yes, I would agree with your theory.

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 05:59:41 PM »
He creates some unbelievable soundscapes, that's for sure.  I agree with your assessment of him.  He is one of the best ever.

Offline kevtn43

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »
I totally agree i think he is the most underrated guitar player in rock and he comes up with some great guitar sounds no one else sounds like him and his background vocals are always always amazing as Bono says he is the mad scientists of the band

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 09:48:20 PM »
Yes, he's certainly done some remarkable background stuff as of late--"Little Things", "Staring at the Sun"--concert version.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 10:55:58 AM »
I like his inventiveness with his guitar playing and assorted rigs and his sense for melody. Still, I feel that the band's producers have way too much tamed his input on the studio albums from HTDAAB onwards. After all, raw Edge is better than smooth Edge.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 11:09:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I like his inventiveness with his guitar playing and assorted rigs and his sense for melody. Still, I feel that the band's producers have way too much tamed his input on the studio albums from HTDAAB onwards. After all, raw Edge is better than smooth Edge.

I think Edge himself plays a part in this not just the producers. He has become far less innovative from HTDAAB onward than he was on earlier records - still doesnt erase his accomplishments though.

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 01:59:11 PM »
After watching the documentary It Might Get Loud my impression of the Edge is he’s one of the best technological/sonic manipulators of his generation.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 04:07:58 PM »
I was pretty impressed with Edge after watching Dallas explain his rig roundup. Have been wanting to watch It Might Get Loud too.

Offline MrsZoo

• Wanderer
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 07:03:30 PM »
Never seen this bizarre but fascinating music/cookery Feedback Kitchen crossover programme so I thought I’d share here! Apols if you’ve seen it. Edge is freakin adorable in this video, especially with his stunningly beautiful RTSS about 8 mins in:

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »
Yes - far too many examples to list or mention of his incredible skill to create such definable sounds to argue otherwise.

The fact that he continues, album after album, to create amazing new music is beyond my capacity of understanding!

You think “surely he must have ran out of ideas by now” but then he comes along with another great riff or melody to accompany a track which then also turns out to be an absolute killer live song!

How, actually, does he do it? #TheScientist  8)

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 11:45:41 AM »
I was impressed before by The Edge but after watching this Rig Rundown and hearing Dallas talk for an hour about The Edge, I'm even more impressed by his dedication to detail and tone and soundscapes, etc.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »
"Ugh, an HOUR of technical blabber about guitar rigs? And Edge isn't even in it?"

One of the most awesome hours I've wasted on YouTube, and I want to adopt Dallas.

nulla uomo

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 07:47:10 AM »

I think you're onto something here that I believe too.  It just seems to me that Edge's guitar work has been pushed into the background from Atomic Bomb to forward.  I just don't see those hooks, arpeggios, and reverb that was always his trademark.  I feel like I've lost Edge.

In 2010, David Fricke of Rolling Stone Magazine put out an article rating the top 100 guitarists of all time.  Fricke is an avowed U2 fan.  Fricke rated Edge as 24 out of 100.  Here's the blurb he wrote:

The Edge
"Rarely has a guitarist achieved so much by playing so little. Most
of what the Edge (real name Dave Evans) played on U2's early
albums, from Boy in 1980 to the '87 global smash The Joshua
Tree, can be described thusly: circular skeletal arpeggios
swimming in oceans of reverb; few conventional chords or solos. But
the elegant urgency of the Edge's minimalism on those records
perfectly framed and fueled the earnest, flag-waving theatricality
of Bono's voice. With U2's swerve into apocalyptic dance music on
1991's Achtung Baby, the Edge coated his riffs in extreme
distortion and electronic treatments but without betraying his
playing credo: Less is most."

I don't know if I totally agree with Fricke.  I've always identified U2 to Edge's unique guitar work and Bono's superb vocals/songwriting.  Sure, there's been minimalism in earlier works but Edge's guitar always shone through.  Fricke wants us to believe Edge's purpose in the band was "less is most" to frame and fuel Bono's voice, so to speak.  I don't subscribe to the "less is most" idea, in fact Edge's guitar work has always to me been strong and dominant.  He creates soundscapes with his amazing skills and "magic" on his guitar. And in that WAY he achieves the role of framing and fueling Bono's voice. Listen to War and how he charges the songs with importance. that if missing, would result in an empty album which War is definitely not. 

And since his guitar work has been so dominant, that is why I see something that's happened in Atomic Bomb, SOI, SOE.  His signature sound has been pushed in the background.  This is the "less" part but it surely isn't "most". 

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 08:46:53 AM »
Yes, but that's not the point. The main thing is that there is no better guitarist for U2. Same with the other 3  8)