Author Topic: Are Coldplay worth listening to?  (Read 117 times)

Offline asterik

• Babyface
Are Coldplay worth listening to?
« on: July 10, 2018, 02:23:33 AM »
I've never actively listened other than a few radio singles by mistake, so I was wondering is their catalogue worth exploring? Are their live shows any good?

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
Re: Are Coldplay worth listening to?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 05:00:00 AM »
Viva La Vida still remains probably my personal favourite album, ever. I'm no music aficionado, but it's pretty damn good. Overall, if I'm being honest, Coldplay are 50/50. I could leave a decent chunk of their songs behind (specifically their more poppy, radio-friendly and co-lab songs) but their 'classics' and a quite a few gems along the way in their first 5 albums make it most certainly something I'd recommend exploring. They seem to be having fewer and fewer 'great' songs though, so I'm interested to see what they come out with next and whether it announces a return to form or reinforces a continual decline.

Offline 03/9/81

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 08:49:04 AM »
Just my opinion, 3 top albums by Coldplay are:

Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head, and X & Y.

Had to edit; sorry I'm dyslexic.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:03:23 PM by 03/9/81 »

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 09:40:39 AM »
2nd album's incredible, 1st album's very good, and Ghost Stories is at least interesting enough to warrant a few listens.

Beyond that, there's some good songs scattered among the other albums. It's not like any of them suck from beginning to end.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »
A Rush of Blood to the Head is a good album.  Not that I've listened to it in years, but still, if you haven't heard it, it's worth checking out.

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 01:34:33 PM »
Yes and yes.  As far as albums go, I really like 'X & Y'.  It is strong all the way through, if perhaps a a little too long.  As far as line performances go, my wife and I saw them live on the 'Viva La Vida' tour, and it was terrific.  Very upbeat.  They played everything I had hoped to hear.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 06:08:41 PM »
I'm not familiar with their albums, but I really like "Strawberry Swing" and "God Put a Smile on Your Face".  Some of their more popular tunes are pretty good too.  I've never seen them live.