Author Topic: Old acts that "kids these days" like  (Read 1154 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Old acts that "kids these days" like
« on: July 12, 2018, 08:16:20 PM »
I know a lot of kids who 1) know and 2) love Queen. Like, more kids in my experience know Queen than The Beatles, or anyone else I can think of. Champions, Rock You, Rhapsody, Dust - still very well known today.

What old (I guess anything from the 20th century) acts do you think a LOT of kids know and like?

And what do you think puts Queen or anyone else in this category? Why are they still relevant, even if not current?

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
Re: Old acts that "kids these days" like
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 09:21:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know a lot of kids who 1) know and 2) love Queen. Like, more kids in my experience know Queen than The Beatles, or anyone else I can think of. Champions, Rock You, Rhapsody, Dust - still very well known today.

What old (I guess anything from the 20th century) acts do you think a LOT of kids know and like?

And what do you think puts Queen or anyone else in this category? Why are they still relevant, even if not current?

Depends what you mean by "kids".  The older I get the more everyone seems to look about 12 (including my new dentist which I initially found slightly alarming lol).  The young people among my family and friends range from 18-30 and most of them seem to like stuff I have never heard of before lol.  I do know one young person I work with who is about 30 and she seems to like a wide range of music I think because some of her family are musos.  I guess parents music can also have an influence.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:31:44 PM by summerholly »

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 10:25:11 PM »
I teach elementary school and alll the kids know/love Michael Jackson.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 05:59:07 AM »
I mean under 18, children.

Yeah, Michael Jackson still seems to be on the radar. My kid's fave MJ is Bad, and she knows Billie Jean, Man in the Mirror, a couple others.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »
Here in the Detroit area, The Beatles and Zeppelin are eternal from generation to generation.

Offline JonD

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 08:15:43 AM »
As a high school teacher I must say Queen and Pink Floyd (esp. Dark Side) are popular.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 11:30:12 AM »
Dark Side of the Moon is so timeless. I can't think of anything else from that era that doesn't make me think, ah, the 70s. A masterpiece.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 08:13:13 PM »
Working as an educator, I see Beatles, Ramones, and Led Zep t-shirts on occasion. 

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 01:39:24 PM »
I'm convinced Nirvana are still representative of a certain type of teenage rebellion.  Possibly because there hasn't really been anything that's filled that void since then.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 03:18:08 PM »
True, but my daughter haaaaates them.

But not as much as she hates Bjork. I'm sorry, Bjork.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 03:59:45 PM »
AC/DC
Def Leppard
Guns 'n' Roses

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »
The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd don't really come as a surprise.

Beatles: broke up at the height of their fame in 1970 after about 10 years as a group. Biggest selling music artist of all time and essentially the founder of much of the music and music business practices seen over the past several decades up to today. No reunions of any kind.

Led Zeppelin: Key in founding the hard rock scene. Disbanded at or near the height of their fame, together about 12 years. No serious or full scale reunions.

Pink Floyd: Original band disbanded in 1983, no reunions with the exception of one concert. Together about 18 years. Later incarnation led by David Gilmour only did two albums/tours.

If these bands had not stopped at all and were still active today one wonders how they would be seen by the younger generation.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 02:30:54 PM »
my 21 year old niece got into Oasis after i got her an album for Christmas.  don't think she'd heard of them before.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 07:41:25 PM »
My fifteen year old grand daughter likes Jazz.......seriously.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm convinced Nirvana are still representative of a certain type of teenage rebellion.  Possibly because there hasn't really been anything that's filled that void since then.
that's because there's been no new musical revolution since grunge- which was honestly, a post-modern lazy revolution which was the dumbing-down of music.  wasn't a fan of it when i was a teenager when it was happening and now only a vague fan for nostalgia reasons.  i'd be curious what teenagers now actually think of nirvana.