Author Topic: Old acts that "kids these days" like  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Old acts that "kids these days" like
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 04:53:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm convinced Nirvana are still representative of a certain type of teenage rebellion.  Possibly because there hasn't really been anything that's filled that void since then.
that's because there's been no new musical revolution since grunge- which was honestly, a post-modern lazy revolution which was the dumbing-down of music.  wasn't a fan of it when i was a teenager when it was happening and now only a vague fan for nostalgia reasons.  i'd be curious what teenagers now actually think of nirvana.

I cant necessarily say I was ever a fan, but I think it was a much-needed reaction to the trends of the time, particularly the slick pop-metal and misogyny that it traded in. Id say there was much dumber music around before they came on the scene. Nirvana also ushered in a new set of issues that would come into play, but I cant blame kids today for liking them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 05:20:42 PM »
I'm no Nirvana expert but I don't think they or their music was dumb at all.

It seemed to me a reinvention of punk. Rock and Roll was born to be counter-cultural, but of course it became the culture. Punk - and later, grunge - countered the rock. It made fun of caring about rock values. The clothes, for example - instead of a slick rock star (The Fly, maybe) with great hair and shades and leather, punk and grunge said eff it. They would perform in the least glamorous stuff, a sloppy t-shirt and flannel. Which became cool, I know, but we were used to stars performing in more glamorous clothes. Punk/grunge said, eff the clothes.

It also said, eff sounding polished or "musical" - but make no mistake, Kurt Cobain could sing, and he (and Grohl) could play and compose.

It also said, eff talking about what we're supposed to talk about. We're going to talk about awkwardness, not coolness. We're going to point out hypocricy, not only in others but in ourselves.

It became to rock what rock originally was: countercultural, critical, full of contradictions.

As an aside, U2 were never grunge, but they sure were punk. See my recent video commentary on Out of Control 1981. Bono embodied the punk with his clothes (less glamorous than the crap I'm wearing right now), his singing (more focused on hopping up and down than sounding any good), his stage persona (literally NO distance from the audience - lets them just paw at him throughout), being drunk, falling on his ass - it's a great performance, you should check it out lol

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 04:59:07 PM »
Gorillaz

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 03:40:16 PM »
Overheard on the station platform a couple of months ago one college student to another (both probably no older than 19 or 20):

"I am really into Echo and The Bunnymen and Joy Division".

Good I thought, they should check out Inhaler...... ;)

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 11:51:58 AM »
Red Hot Chili Peppers is sort of an older band, considering their debut album came out in 1984, but I've noticed that they have some relevance with people around my age (college age, around 18-24 years old) and their biggest hits get played more often than not.