Author Topic: Why LiveNation?  (Read 949 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Why LiveNation?
« on: July 15, 2018, 09:44:45 AM »
What services do LV provide to U2, and what do they get in return?

I understand they finance the tours, but U2 have the money to do it themselves. Why not do that and take more profit$$$? Why split the pie with LN, and additionally be beholden to some contract, when U2 of all people can be their own boss?

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
Re: Why LiveNation?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 04:21:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What services do LV provide to U2, and what do they get in return?

I understand they finance the tours, but U2 have the money to do it themselves. Why not do that and take more profit$$$? Why split the pie with LN, and additionally be beholden to some contract, when U2 of all people can be their own boss?

This should answer most of your questions - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:39:58 PM »
Thank you. So I'm realizing the 360 tour was under this contract. Both parties must have been very, very happy there. I don't know how well I+E or JT30 did, but I'm guessing JT30 at least was reasonably profitable. I loved the E+I show but I'm guessing $$$-wise it was not a big success, and the marked down tickets are going to be a problem in the minds of us fans. I don't know a thing about the fan club but I've heard complaints - but maybe that's par for the course.

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 04:38:40 PM »
Tours of the scale that U2 operate on are ferociously complex on just about every level - including financial. I wouldn't necessarily make a connection between seats sold and profit made. As an example the ZOO TV tour had great attendances, but due to the high cost of keeping the production on the road, the band didn't end up making all that much money out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if the TJT30 tour was quite profitable as the staging (while very impressive) was fairly simple - by U2 standards anyway!

But the only people who really know are those who have access to the financials books. The rest of us are free to speculate...;)

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 12:19:56 PM »
another 10 years???? - check out OTR column.  It is a strong unconfirmed rumour.
So that's tours until 2028 then....
Start saving up now as they are not going away any time soon.
For me, its a choice of a holiday in a great location or a U2 show....guess which one wins each time?
I am officially addicted.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »
... What? What's this about 10 years? ...

<reads otr>

<heart leaps for joy>

I don't give a damn about LN. I'M NOT GONNA DIE A GA VIRGIN.

Wait... Crap. How many years am I gonna have to wait?

I've only waited for one album in my life (AB) and it was excrutiating enough. This is actually going to be worse. And now? With this little rumor I am now in wait mode.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I just went from overjoyed to sucking my thumb in 60 seconds.

HOW MANY YEARS. HOW LOOOOOOONG???

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 01:24:57 PM »
THIS MORNING I WAS STILL HAPPILY IMMERSED IN SOE AND I FIGURED I'D ONLY START THINKING ABOUT THE NEXT ALBUM IN TWO YEARS SO I WOULD PROBABLY ONLY BE IN WAIT MODE FOR TWO YEARS AFTER THAT POINT THEY HAVEN'T EVEN FINISHED THIS TOUR WTF AM I SUPPOSED TO DO GAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 02:42:09 PM »
Don't worry laoghaire….

There's another 50,000 remixes of "Love Is Bigger" to be released before now and then....

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »
IS THE EDGE ON FIRE YET??

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 11:02:09 PM »
You should find a documentary called Who the F*** Is Arthur Fogel. He is the guy behind Live Nation and it gives you a lot of insight into what LV does and why artists like him. Is a while since I saw it but from memory it refers to U2 taking huge financial risk to put on Zoo TV give the cost of running it and whilst LV didn't come along until a little while later, it basically takes a huge chunk of financial risk away from the band. Not trying to be a defender of LV by any means but it does make sense why you would use them or someone else like them and LV seems to be the biggest with the biggest names using them. Is a fun documentary in any event with many interviews with artists.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 05:42:30 AM »
Yes they lost a whole lot of cash on Zoo TV.
Knowing that they have a lot of creative spark and are prepared to take risks, I can see the sense.
But the fans need to be in the equation too. 

That might seem like trying to 'dictate' what we want from them, but...

We know that they will make decisions which may not please all fans (very good example is setlists: and lack of rotation on E&I North American leg), but if there is a way that we can have a two way conversation in terms of subjects such as ticketing prices and specs, touring locations (they are not going to take demands that they play places  - but thought out suggestions eg: how can they pull off Australia/NZ when the fan interest is there?).  Generally if LN can facilitate a two way relationship with the fans and the band through the promoter then that would be really positive.  Because it would show that the band and promoters would be listening to fans' concerns and suggestions and responding to them in a way that is appropriate - ie: it meets the business needs of U2 & LN but also addresses concerns from the fans.  They are not going to act on a whim and fancy, but should be accommodating where possible. 

I thought Guy Oseary was going to take the 'listening post' idea further.  I hope to hear more in due course, maybe after the European E&I leg.

That way they can be sure that a proportion of fans are engaged and are less likely to desert, which would leave the band with slower ticket sales in the future (and therefore half empty venues which can be disheartening, particularly when previously sold out - scalps or otherwise).  U2 and LN could be left wondering how the vacuum will be filled.  Teen-pop fans aren't coming over to U2 in their droves (having seen the light) are they?

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 11:47:17 AM »
I get the sentiment, but fans unfortunately really don't need to be heard.  The band will do what they want, and acknowledge the fans' wishes as much as they feel like.  They're still an enormously popular concert draw, so there's not much reason to do anything differently.  I feel for those folks in Australia or wherever, but I'm sure it all comes down to financial and logistical factors.  When you can make the same amount or more by spending time in the US/Europe versus Australia, and shows are still selling out, it's hard to insist they have to do it anyway.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 03:39:36 AM »
Yes and when the fans don't turn up to shows, they will have to listen to them!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 12:43:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes and when the fans don't turn up to shows, they will have to listen to them!

But do you honestly think that has any chance of happening?  Are you considering not going to see them because they haven't toured Australia in 25 years?  Neither is anyone else.  The audience is guaranteed whether they do what you suggest or not.