Author Topic: North Star and Mercy  (Read 695 times)

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
North Star and Mercy
« on: July 17, 2018, 05:53:01 PM »
I would just like to start a debate that when U2 played North Star into Mercy on the 360 tour it may have been the best two song combo they've ever done. Thoughts?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: North Star and Mercy
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 12:02:18 AM »
I love North Star. Release it already.

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 08:55:50 PM »
They butchered Mercy when Bono changed the lyrics. And that broke my heart.

The version that would have been on HTDAAB is one of the greatest U2 songs ever. How that missed the cut on HTDAATB is one of the most bewildering things ever in the U2 history...

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 06:01:30 AM »
I think both songs are OK, but for me the best 2-song combos live would be Miami-Bullet the Blue Sky, or Zoo Station-The Fly.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 06:40:46 PM »
Definitely not the best 2 song combo for U2, but the original Mercy and North Star were worthy of making an album and I was happy they played them live.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 09:06:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They butchered Mercy when Bono changed the lyrics. And that broke my heart.

The version that would have been on HTDAAB is one of the greatest U2 songs ever. How that missed the cut on HTDAATB is one of the most bewildering things ever in the U2 history...

I agree. I listen to the original bootleg version every so often and I still love it as much as I did all those years ago. What a truly epic song it is and could have been if they had properly released it as it was back then.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 10:06:29 AM »
North star has to be on an album some day!? Though i loved the version of EBW with just edge on electric guitar and bono on 360. Think that should be revived it was hauntingly beautiful

Offline mattangel

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 01:10:31 PM »
Mercy is one of my top 3 songs for U2.  The live version was tinkered with and did not sound as powerful or raw on the guitar and the vocals less urgent. It would have fit nicely on SOE

Offline davis

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 10:23:10 AM »
Definitely not the best two song combo ever. 

I think it's kind of cool that Mercy (the original) exists as an easily obtainable unreleased gem. I mean, we can complain that it wasn't officially released, but that hasn't stopped anyone from hearing it.  Reminds me of some of Bob Dylan's work.  One of his greatest songs ever written/recorded is Blind Willie McTell, recorded for one of the totally forgettable 80s albums and unreleased until one of the official Bootleg releases this century. 

There's something intriguing about holding back some epic gems that become known only to the hardcore fans.  I mean, it can't be lost on U2 that most of us know and love Mercy.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 07:51:57 PM »
Hmm. May I mention Bad + Streets, Boston 2001? OK, here it is.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 09:08:35 PM »
Best combo certainly not. Mercy was a great song they abandoned just because it’s old. I’m sure we’ve heard it split into pieces over the last 2 albums but we haven’t noticed. North Star was an average acoustic song that died and honestly hasn’t aged well. Whether it became Song for Someone or Iris doesn’t matter since every song they’ve released has been vastly superior.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 09:48:08 PM »
I wish they'd finally put out a version of Mercy that combines the strength of both versions. I think it works better with the darker chorus but the "we must we must" part falls flat.

Regarding North Star, I think it has a great melody but the lyrics are too generic overall, though I do really like the verse "The birds are singing for their rent / They fly above the government / It's not a song of discontent / I've money now it's me that's spent". Those images and ideas would make an intriguing song to me.

Offline davis

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 08:07:43 AM »
Oh, and I think the best two song combo live might be Please/Streets on Popmart. 

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 01:52:19 AM »
Best combo for me was probably RTSS into Streets on Zoo TV.