Author Topic: Video Commentary: Ordinary Love, The Tonight Show (2014)  (Read 358 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Video Commentary: Ordinary Love, The Tonight Show (2014)
« on: July 22, 2018, 07:11:58 AM »
I thought my blow-by-blow posts would be like twice a month or something, but this is the third day I had something to post. Clearly I have nothing better to do (spoiler: I do, I really do). But now I'm worried about spamming the board; I don't know if these are interesting or annoying. My apologies if they are the latter.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ordinary Love, The Tonight Show (2014)

I really enjoy seeing them do acoustic performances in a studio (small room) because it proves their talent for music and performance. No overlaying tracks, no lighting, no crowd noise, just four guys with basic instruments sitting on a sofa. And the result is utterly amazing.

0:00
Phenomenal sound, just Edge's fingers and six strings. (Ok, and an amp).

0:06
Sitting with U2 is Will Smith in the ultimate front row seat.

Larry is in the Larry Position, behind everyone else, barely visible.

0:18
Bono motions subtly for the sound engineer to increase Edge's guitar in the mix. It's increased and it's perfect. Bono has enough bandwidth to be performing, singing with concentration, remembering lyrics, thinking about how to move the audience, AND judge the sound mix and call for corrections, all while in the spotlight of a live and TV audience. I think of myself as kind of similar; I can usually walk AND talk at the same time. Usually.

0:28
The left hand is beautiful, so expressive.

When he sings the "I'm" in "it's you I'm fighting for, Bono pulls the microphone about a foot and a half away from his mouth (and we still hear the word perfectly). As he sings he moves the mic farther or closer, constantly adjusting based on how softly he delivers a word or how much power he gives it. It's just another example of all the thought going into every nuance of the sound, all done with the professionalism and practiced ease of nearly 40 years of experience.

1:10
Adam comes in on his acoustic bass, adding a nice layer to the song. Also, he looks great.

1:34
Jimmy looks absolutely transported.

1:43
Larry comes in from the back seat with his tambourine.

1:52
Bono has been feeling it from the very start but now he totally gets cranked up, lost in the music. By 2:08 you know he's dying to leap out of the chair and deliver the energy that is bursting out of him.

2:16
"Roots?" Bono delivers the cue for The Roots to come in. Roots, in case you don't know, is an absolutely phenomenal hip hop band, musicians of the highest caliber. Questlove is their drummer and founding member.

I don't know what is happening here, but Bono looks worried and repeats, more urgently, "Roots?" Maybe they were fine. Or maybe they were looking at their phones and not paying attention. But I like to think they were as mesmerized by the lads as everyone else, and when Bono gave them their cue they said, "Huh?... Oh, sh**, yeah!" and finally came in.

But it's also another example of Bono managing the performance. Odd that I find it professional and impressive, not bossy.

2:27
After the camera pans across The Roots, we return to the main stage. Will Smith, who has been into the performance the entire time, has now started clapping to the beat, a very nice gesture of support and enjoyment.

We also find that Bono finally broke free of the couch and leapt to his feet like he really wanted, and Edge also stood up, either out of his own desire or to support Bono.

Finally free to shoot Bono Energy out into the audience, he is clearly in his element. By 2:42 is he thinking of dancing. He pulls that arm move he does to yank his sleeves up, and shoots his rays around the room. (Love rays of course).

2:47
Bono turns to The Roots and smiles because he knows what he's about to do, and it fits so well with the song. On the next line he sings, "...if we cannot deal with... Questlove," a shoutout to the Roots drummer that is clearly felt throughout the room. The audience cheers as the Roots band members, clearly surprised and pleased, look to Questlove for his reaction. He looks touched. That's a simple and ordinary way you can show love.

3:00
Edge is having a great time. I'm hearing impaired, so I don't get all the nuances, but I can't hear his guitar in the mix anymore. He just seems to be having a ton of fun with it. The strum patterns are pretty out there.

Bono strolls back to Jimmy's desk and shares some of the love with him too: "Jimmylove."

3:11
Going back to Jimmy meant Bono is no longer out front, and that won't do. He yearns to be out front, and steps around Edge to get there, and it's almost a relief. He starts dancing, like he's been wanting to. I know he can't dance and he knows he can't dance, but his steps are lovely, not at all the dancing horrors of 1980 and 1981. It's rather Irish, actually, and he keeps it simple. It's cathartic.

3:22
Standing ovation from the studio audience.

Notable YT comment:

"2:08 wow the singer"
   Reply: " 'The singer' lol"

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
Video Commentary: Ordinary Love, The Tonight Show (2014)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 10:08:47 AM »
Your video commentaries are great. Keep them coming. This is one of the first videos I discovered when I started getting back into U2 a couple years ago. I was unfamiliar with the song but very impressed with it and their performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:39:12 AM by Luzita »

Offline mambojoe

• Babyface
Re: Video Commentary: Ordinary Love, The Tonight Show (2014)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 01:04:09 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing that video and your commentary. I have never been crazy about this song, but this version of it put it in a new light for me. It sounded absolutely amazing. Bono's voice is just brilliant. I with there was an acoustic release of this.

Offline MrsZoo

• Babyface
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 05:51:49 PM »
Thanks so much for this great commentary. I have watched that video countless times so its very interesting to read your post. Ive always been struck by this beautiful and supremely honest song but Bonos performance of it in this recording is mesmerising.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 05:15:44 PM »
laoghaire, you are a delight to have around.  Keep on posting!

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 06:00:11 PM »
Wow, what a nice thing to say!

I have to confess - you know how an avatar is how we represent ourselves online? Like, I am actually a rainbow with a 4th Gen iPod Touch, and I type mile-long posts with one finger, hence the typos, but I'm a damn rainbow so what do you expect? Anyway, GoldenStateGirl, you are just really good looking. I wanted you to know that.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 08:08:39 PM »
LOL thanks!  I just love looking at that face of mine!