Author Topic: What the ei shows I saw meant to me...  (Read 486 times)

Offline popsadie

• Stateless
What the ei shows I saw meant to me...
« on: July 22, 2018, 05:52:38 PM »
I saw the New York MSG shows 3 and a half weeks ago and they really rocked my world AND my heart. I've come to believe this show is about more than the state of our world. It is about the state of our hearts. Acrobat was more than a critique of Trump; it was a critique of our spirits, of my spirit. It was introduced with desire and the wheel of the seven deadly sins for a reason. Remember, we the audience are chided for losing our 'innocence' as well.This show is political, but it is spiritual too, and this component is just as key. Yes, the tour is criticizing Trump and the unloving acts he has proposed, but the point is more than a political rally; it is also a prayer, a prayer to the God Bono believes in to not let the 'light' go out. I hope I have the courage to pray it with him.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Re: What the ei shows I saw meant to me...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 08:13:12 PM »
I am also just really taken with the show and its message.

In my opinion, there is no chastising about any loss of innocence. It's natural and normal and frankly isn't even in our control. Life can take innocence from us.

Wisdom is the recovery of innocence at the far end of experience. We have innocence, we have experience, it's what we do next that is the question.

I also didn't take it as a primarily political message, but a personal, and yes, Christian one. The message is not for Trump, it's for us to follow the law of love.

The courage is in practicing Ordinary Love. Are we tough enough for ordinary love? Are you tough enough to be kind? These words have solidified in my mind what I think we are called upon to do. Ordinary love is practiced every day, in ordinary ways. And it can take courage but I think if we make it a habit, it comes easily.

I know the tour was not popular but I think it's amazing and important. I'm really proud of these guys and who they are.

Offline popsadie

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 09:25:34 PM »
You are right. Chided wasn't the best word to use; pointed out would have been better. Still, I agree that the most important part is asking oneself where does one go after realizing this loss of innocence. For me, it has meant confessing my anger and isolation from God and seeking to follow the law of love vertically and horizontally. I really liked your analysis of ordinary love. 13 is one of my favorite songs on the album, and the questions and exhortations in it have really been ringing in my mind lately.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:27:45 AM »
I realize there was critique of America's and Europe's direction as a whole, but I felt the emphasis was less critique and more calling upon us to "hold up the sky" and hold fast to the law of love. While MacPhisto had some shots for Trump, I felt like the real critique was in his self-examination. It was he, the showman, who committed those seven deadly sins. This is a very important distinction. It is easy for a Christian to take the commandments (and while there are ten, they are all aspects of just one: love) and examine and police others: you are a sinner, you are not a true Christian or any Christian at all.

But this is not at all what we are called upon to do. The commandments are there for each of us to follow ourselves, to examine in our own hearts, to live. They are not there for us to control and judge others. We are reminded to look at the plank in our own eye before calling out the mote in our neighbor's.

Bono doesn't say, you have to be a Christian, he doesn't say "you're breaking the rules, do this, do that." He talks about his own shortcomings, he shares his own struggles, and he blesses us.

When he pulls the light bulb out of the box, he doesn't just hold it. He pushes it out into the audience, lets its light shine onto us, spreads the light. It's not a sermon, just a blessing. He sings with compassion about the suffering we all have, what the children in us still fear, and gives us the strength to face the darkness gathering around the light. We can do it. We're strong. We're tough enough to be kind. We can hold on.

Offline popsadie

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 11:27:11 AM »
Wow. You have put into words many of my feelings about the show. It might not have been the best tour they have done, but it might be one of the most personally impacting. I love that there are artists like u2 who ask these questions about life, live, and mortality and invite their audience to share in their explorations.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 12:22:51 PM »
I read this today and it's amazing.  An 18 year old woman from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, UK has saved the lives of others by echoing Bono's sentiments....I don't know if she is a U2 fan or this is a co-incidence.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »
WOW that's such a wonderful way to spread love, and with such an impact. That's the sentiment indeed.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 07:26:00 PM »
I know at least a part of the show is quite political but that's not what I took away from the show. I really connected more with the personnal stuff.