Author Topic: Gonna dive into NLOTH - any pointers?  (Read 2357 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Gonna dive into NLOTH - any pointers?
« on: July 25, 2018, 01:19:30 PM »
I'm in the weird position of being a hard-core fan who missed an album. (Took a hiatus for a while. Am back in a BIG way.)

So this could be fun. NLOTH-lovers, what are the best songs, and even better, the best parts I should listen for.

Get me excited! Sell me! We're all hard-core fans, so I'm gonna "get" what you point out.

I've listened once before, maybe - months ago. Only Fez grabbed me right off (love it); not really familiar with anything else.

Details, please - "I like MOS" isn't enough!

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
Re: Gonna dive into NLOTH - any pointers?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 01:43:41 PM »
My favorite U2 album since the '90s.  I like it all, even "Stand up Comedy" and "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight," though they may be my least favorites.  You'll need to give it repeated listens over a few weeks, but I get a feeling from this album I don't get from any other piece of music. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I think the title track is a top 5 U2 song...  The album version of the title track...  The Edge's guitar sounds like an ornery elephant driving a freight train with an attitude.  But then again, I know I'm in the minority here... 

Someday, I'd still like to write an ode to this album on this website -- I've been meaning to do it since 2009.  Probably alternates between my 3rd and 5th favorite U2 album of all time.  It really did change my life.  Enjoy!   

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 01:51:35 PM »
ORNERY ELEPHANT DRIVING A FREIGHT TRAIN???
With ATTITUDE???
<dies of bliss>

I know what I'm starting with now! And yes, I know it will take a series of listens, but I'm bound to "hear" it at some point.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 01:57:58 PM »
honestly, if you had to miss an album, you missed the correct one. IMO.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 02:58:32 PM »
From what little I've heard it sounds better than Bomb.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 04:02:53 PM »
Only got through three songs so far. First reactions:

NLOTH: Whoa, Roger Daltrey! But not on his best singing day. Makes me realize 10s Bono > 00s Bono by a country mile. Could be some good Edge stuff behind that. Standard rock and roll.

Magnificent: Started off way cool, experimental, then settled into Standard U2(tm). Not bad, though. My common complaint of choruses just repeating themselves stands.

MoS: Now this, this sounds off the beaten path. As with Fez, I'm almost happy enough with the instrumental alone. I'll need more listens to really connect, but this could be a gem.

Who produced this? Did they get Eno in here?

When people b**** about U2 not experimenting since Pop, why does this album not count?

Offline kevtn43

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 05:14:02 PM »
I love this album but then again i love them all lol i really like no line, magnificent, mos,stand up, breathe i especially love the Edge guitar riff in that one ,i love the live version better of i know i will go crazy song than the recorded version but to me the lyrics just shine on this one it reminds me of the song God gave me a mountain by Marty Robbin

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 08:39:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
From what little I've heard it sounds better than Bomb.

It is way better than bomb (just my opinion).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 08:25:50 AM »
If you haven't checked out the B-side version of the title track, I highly recommend it.

For me, the high points are the title track, Boots, Fez-BB, MOS, and Cedars. The lows are Magnificent and Crazy Tonight.

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 01:30:23 PM »
NLOTH 2 is way better than the boring drony album version.

Listen to the clever harmony from Bono as he leads into the guitar solo of magnificent. The two mirror each other and meander seamlessly, it's a great little moment.

The other stand out is the 6/8 time Breathe, a master class of a rock n roll song.

Cedars is also a wonderful closing track.

Enjoy

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 02:14:20 PM »
I have that condition where I literally always always ALWAYS have a song playing in my head, even when I'm sleeping. I only got through the first three songs so far, and only one listen. I woke up this morning and the jukebox in my brain was playing something strange. It took me way too long to figure out it was NLOTH - still quite unfamiliar to me, but my brain is working on it! I could also start hearing that driving force. Growing on me a bit. Might like it even more if I listen a second time, maybe <snort>.

Will check B side/NLOTH II down the road a bit, thank you. The descriptions are very helpful.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 09:02:44 PM »
   I really love NLOTH.  It's a very ambient piece of art that doesn't have a lot of strong choruses.  Nevertheless, it is thematically mature and definitely should grow on you with repeated listens.  I especially like "Unknown Caller", "NLOTH", "Breathe", "Fez", "MOS" , "Magnificent".  Look up "Winter" and "Soon" for the b-sides. 
    Lots of the lyrical themes have to do with surrender, letting go, and acceptance of what is.  It appeals more to older listeners I think for obvious reasons.
    It's not an album that will jump out and grab you by the ankles, but it will definitely pay dividends if you give it care and sustained attention.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 11:16:46 PM »
For me NLOTH elicits a sense of mystique and sombre reflection that I haven't felt with any other U2 album apart from maybe UF. It's a moody, ambient exploration of some haunting and charging melodies and sounds that leave you feeling melancholy and with an undertone of uplifting optimism and resoluteness.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
Gonna dive into NLOTH - any pointers?
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 07:07:28 AM »
For me NLOTH elicits a sense of mystique and sombre reflection that I haven't felt with any other U2 album apart from maybe UF. It's a moody, ambient exploration of some haunting and charging melodies and sounds that leave you feeling melancholy and with an undertone of uplifting optimism and resoluteness.

To me also, it is the album most like UF and UF is probably my favorite.  I wish the three songs that don’t belong were sequenced at the end or something but these days you can create your own alternate playlist.  I also wish Unknown Caller didn’t have the goofy techno metaphors because the music and lyrics otherwise are good.  MOS, FEZ, COL, White as Snow are brilliant.  Best album since ATYCLB if you ask me, even if its not perfect.  I hope we get at least one more U2 album with Eno and Lanois.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 08:13:40 PM »
   I really love NLOTH.  It's a very ambient piece of art that doesn't have a lot of strong choruses.  Nevertheless, it is thematically mature and definitely should grow on you with repeated listens.  I especially like "Unknown Caller", "NLOTH", "Breathe", "Fez", "MOS" , "Magnificent".  Look up "Winter" and "Soon" for the b-sides. 
    Lots of the lyrical themes have to do with surrender, letting go, and acceptance of what is.  It appeals more to older listeners I think for obvious reasons.
    It's not an album that will jump out and grab you by the ankles, but it will definitely pay dividends if you give it care and sustained attention.

YES all of this!  I find it to be dark in general, but dark in a good way.  On the other hand, Magnificent is bright and soaring (it's in my top 10 favorite U2 tracks).