Author Topic: Gonna dive into NLOTH - any pointers?  (Read 2163 times)

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
Re: Gonna dive into NLOTH - any pointers?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 10:21:57 PM »
Hit shuffle to get off the original order. And pray “Boots” is the last song so you can skip it. “Boots” is THE worst song U2 has ever used to debut an album. An abject failure. A feeble attempt to mimick “Vertigo” for HTDAAB.

By U2 standards this is a discouraging album. Best song is, by far, “Moment of Surrender”. Should have been the single to kick off the record. That would have been bold.

Lastly, not adding the original version of “Mercy’ was even dumber the second time around after Larry killed “Mercy” from HTDAAB.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 09:04:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
   I really love NLOTH.  It's a very ambient piece of art that doesn't have a lot of strong choruses.  Nevertheless, it is thematically mature and definitely should grow on you with repeated listens.  I especially like "Unknown Caller", "NLOTH", "Breathe", "Fez", "MOS" , "Magnificent".  Look up "Winter" and "Soon" for the b-sides. 
    Lots of the lyrical themes have to do with surrender, letting go, and acceptance of what is.  It appeals more to older listeners I think for obvious reasons.
    It's not an album that will jump out and grab you by the ankles, but it will definitely pay dividends if you give it care and sustained attention.

YES all of this!  I find it to be dark in general, but dark in a good way.  On the other hand, Magnificent is bright and soaring (it's in my top 10 favorite U2 tracks). 

Yes, beautiful. I love all the songs you've listed. How can you not at the very least like this album a lot.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 10:16:26 AM »
I was perplexed they chose Boots as the lead single, im in the minority of loving the song but it wasnt a good single choice, IMO they would've been better using Breathe or MOS to create a departure from HTDAAB entirely. I digress....

Best songs are Breathe, MOS, Unknown Caller and Cedars of Lebanon. In particular i love COL, Its not U2 by numbers and kind of ebbs it's way into your ears, i find myself with it on repeat sometimes. I like stand up comedy but it's my least favourite on the album, Mainly because i had high hopes for it reading journos high fived each other at a listening party, only to be a bit flat upon listening. Overall, i love the album and the tour was just fantastic, some of the best times of my life on the road in 2009/10.

Offline zooropamofo

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 07:11:13 PM »
Breathe....wicked tune.  Solid balls-out rocker with swagger.  Loved this tune on Letterman.
I really liked Magnificent.  Always felt this song could've been bigger.
Cedars of Lebanon is If You Wear That Velvet Dress sung in a war zone.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:14:38 PM by zooropamofo »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 10:25:04 AM »
This album is about 5-6 decent U2 songs, but very little in the way of great U2 songs.  And the middle part of the album is awful.

gasface257

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2018, 10:46:37 AM »
NLOTH is a mature album and IMO, speaks best to U2's older fans. 

While I don't think Get On Your Boots is U2's worst song, it is definitely an attempt to have another Vertigo. 

Offline popsadie

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2018, 09:44:19 PM »
No Line is a favorite of mine as well. I would add older OR religious to the kinds of fans it is most likely to appeal to. When NLOTH came out, I had just turned 30, but it has always been the spiritual, ambient and meditative side of U2 that I have been most drawn to. Songs like Magnificent, Unknown Caller, Moment of Surrender, If I dont go crazy, White as Snow, Fez, and Cedars are my faves on the album, and I love the themes of surrender and determination that are explored on it. Musically, it reminds me of a cross of October, Unforgettable Fire, and Passengers.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 01:20:21 AM »
It's U2's fourth best album in my book (third if you don't count Passengers, but I do). Bono described it well at the time the album came out: It really is a science-fiction gospel album, and so it wasn't a big surprise when the tour visually revolved around what the band called "a spaceship." It's also their most mature album with religious themes -- their high point along those lines to date. The album divides neatly into three parts: the sonically ginormous, thematically heavy opening section (tracks 1 through 4); the thematically down-to-earth, practical middle trilogy (which varies considerably from the other two sections -- you can either see it as overly jarring and out-of-place, as many do, or a welcome break from the heaviness we've experienced up to this point); and the intensely ethereal final section ("Fez" to the end). Of those sections, the last one is my favorite; it's a perfect collection of songs, IMHO, and "White as Snow" is not only the best song on the album but one of the most underrated in the U2 canon. It's arguably U2's most dense album, with rich layers of meaning spread throughout the album. And I also think that thematically it's the logical sequel to Pop -- it deals with a spiritual journey that fits thematically with where we left the protagonist at the end of Pop.

Offline coolz481

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 04:10:13 AM »
I find NLOTH to be a very frustrating album to listen to: all of the pieces to be a classic seem to be there but it just doesn't come together in a way that satisfies apart from Moment of Surrender, Fez, White as Snow, Breathe, and Cedars of Lebanon.  Soon and Winter should have been included.  The title track and Magnificent just kind of drone on forever; supposedly Unknown Caller's original lyric was "forgive yourself, return to me" and it was replaced with cringe-inducing "force quit, and move to trash."  What on earth were they thinking?!

Happily, the tour was outstanding!  I really liked this one-off version of No Line they played in Helsinki:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »
 seem to recall reading that either McGuinness or Lillywhite was quoted saying that it was a dreadful album.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 12:27:38 PM »
I still think that Boots gets a lot of flack because it was a horrible choice for a lead single and didn't match the rest of the album.  if the rest of the album was as trippy as Boots was, it actually might have been a pretty good experimental album.  It is probably the closest that u2 got to punk rock from venus although i hate it when Bono starts talking as though he's part of punk rock.
if Boots was buried in the middle of Zooropa it might have a totally different reception.  Also i suspect that the band was hoping the song would be linked more to the world cup at the time, but it never really took off.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 06:47:29 PM »
I think the album was ahead of its time in many ways and may be more highly regarded in the U2 canon in the future. 

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2018, 09:38:26 PM »
I think the album was ahead of its time in many ways and may be more highly regarded in the U2 canon in the future.
Maybe but I suspect not likely. Outside of forums I never hear any praise for it (and according to forums, Passengers is better than Achtung Baby). When I first heard that No Line was telling a story of a French motorcycle cop and that Eno was co-writing it, I groaned.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 04:54:03 AM »
if Boots was buried in the middle of Zooropa it might have a totally different reception.

I don't think it would have felt right in the middle of Zooropa at all either. It's a B-side to the HTDAAB sessions at best.

Offline davis

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 01:18:52 PM »
In case you missed it, Eno and Lanois didn't just produce the album, they co-wrote most of it (by invitation).  Fez/Being Born, for instance (one of the highlights to me) is all Eno on the Fez intro. 

To me an interesting album that almost, but then doesn't, cohere into a fresh artistic vision, possibly because the band chickened out (as I see it) and abandoned the original vision to groom it back towards more conventional 21st century U2.  Eno, for instance, was mystified that they left off Winter and spent endless hours trying to turn Get on Your Boots and Stand Up Comedy into great songs (instead of the fun b-sides they actually are).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:21:15 PM by davis »