Author Topic: Gonna dive into NLOTH - any pointers?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Re: Gonna dive into NLOTH - any pointers?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2018, 09:10:27 PM »
Well I did guess Eno was involved.

Guys. I've been slow about working on this. But today - I just hit Shuffle on my entire U2 catalog, which isn't a really good idea btw. First time I did that. I don't like switching between studio and live tracks for example.

But. About seven songs in, you know what turned up?

BOOTS.

I listened to it and, look I know everybody warned me, all I could think was, WTF? They lead with this??

It could be a cute b-side, maybe. But the lead single for NLOTH? Is this a joke? The Twilight Zone?

Yes, I've read the comments before. I was prepared. I still thought, probably I won't feel as strongly as everyone else. The Miracle is not a GREAT song, but I'll happily tap my toes to it if I hear it somewhere. I actually like Elevation. Maybe it's just a fun, not heavy weight song.

WTF??

How did this even happen?

I really want to know about Larry. It's Larry I don't get. Larry is strong. Larry would have known better. Larry could have put his foot down.

Whyyyyy, Larry, whyyyyy?

This has to be Bono's fault. Whose else could it be? But how did Larry not prevent this?

This is like the wrong alternate reality.

Look at the number of words I'm dedicating to this. I'M TYPING WITH ONE FINGER. BECAUSE. WHYYYYYY.

Explain Larry, please. Here's how the rest must have gone:

Bono: Let's lead with Sexy Boots! It'll be a hit!!
Edge: No, Bono.
Bono: Come on, it'll be great, trust me.
Edge: No.
Bono: We can't lead with Moment of Surrender. It might be our best song, but it's not gonna play on the radio.
Edge: I understand, but it definitely can't be Boots.
Bono: Adam, come on. Sexy Boots! It'll be a hit!
Adam: Look, I'm just happy to be in a band.
Eno: Bono, listen to me carefully. It's a given that I will never, ever work with you again if you lead with that. But I will also literally murder you. Are you hearing me?
Bono: You guys just don't have faith in the song. It's upbeat! It'll be great! It's sexy!
Edge: I give up. It's not in my nature to argue ad nauseum. I also have never prevented you from falling on your ass. But you're wrong.
Bono: Great, we all agree!
And LARRY SAYS WHAT??

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2018, 09:45:41 PM »
Cute dialogue and probably quite on point.  I think Eno was right--Winter should have been included, so should have "Soon".  Bono was obviously going for relevance and the hit single.  Why Larry didn't take a more active role I'm not sure, but knowing Larry he must have felt some red flags.  (He seems the type who has very sensitive little hackles on the back of his neck to warn off predators and missteps, lol.)

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 05:36:42 PM »
I could live with Boots being a song in U2's catalogue if it were reduced to a b-side or something, but the fact that it was the lead single to an album I really quite liked in contrast....yeah I can't stand it. Nothing about it has ever grown on me. It's just a cringeworthy mess. I'm dumbfounded as to how tone deaf those people were who thought it would work. As Adam Scott Aukerman on U Talkin U2 to Me put it, they just went big and dumb and thought because Vertigo was a hit, they needed to do more of that. Instead they just shot themselves in the foot. And they BARELY learned with Mircale! SMH

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »
I actually like the "Let me in the sound" part on "Boots".

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2018, 09:11:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yes, it's not bad.

But we have it covered in Fez so we don't have to miss it when we ban GOYB from existence.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 08:44:19 AM »
I've always liked "Get On Your Boots"  (ducks and runs for cover).

I like the unusual (quasi) Middle-Eastern vibe.  I get a deeper message out of it than just "sexy boots" (maybe would have been better without that in there).  I thought it resonated quite well with the 2009 world.

That being said, it doesn't fit into the rest of this (excellent) album very well.   

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 09:10:32 AM »
I've always liked "Get On Your Boots"  (ducks and runs for cover).

I like the unusual (quasi) Middle-Eastern vibe.  I get a deeper message out of it than just "sexy boots" (maybe would have been better without that in there).  I thought it resonated quite well with the 2009 world.

That being said, it doesn't fit into the rest of this (excellent) album very well.   

I find Boots one of the stronger tracks on the album. It's probably the one I've listened to the most. It does suffer from being pulled in too many directions though. There are some serious angles to the lyric but also some very playful/goofy ones and some sexy ones and some empowering ones, etc. Wish they hadn't tried to add Prince-like sounds and just stuck to making it a harder rock track.

I wish they'd explored that Middle Eastern vibe more on the other tracks too, but instead they pulled back into safer, more familiar Euro/Eno sounds. Instead of the usual strings, synths, French horn, etc., it would've been interesting to experiment with Moroccan flutes and percussion. I also enjoy the way they used Middle Eastern inspired sounds on Fast Cars and Mysterious Ways . . . too bad they didn't go with more of that.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 09:11:53 AM »

Yes, it's not bad.

But we have it covered in Fez so we don't have to miss it when we ban GOYB from existence.

I think the strength of the middle 8 in Boots is the drumming and guitar work, which are absent from the haunting snippet used in the Fez intro.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 05:55:47 PM »
Well, Bono professed some surprise over the "sexy boots" backlash, explaining that it's a common term of endearment in the Hewson household.

Be that as it may, I don't love GOYB, but I do respect it for it's real-life inspiration (how Bono was afraid of the Iraq War planes flying overhead but Ali was steadfast and unafraid). And 360 gave it another boost for me with the opening "Ode to Joy" snippet.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2018, 07:01:38 PM »
Boots and the other “middle” songs interrupt the flow of the album but I think its a great song on a stand-alone basis.  Great lyrics, great tune, Let me in the sound part is awesome.  Larry’s drum fills are fantastic.  Its the obvious single.  The first single is supposed to be the catchiest song, not the artiest most introspective.  I just do not understand why people don’t like this song. Because of the “sexy boots” line?    Its perfect if you listen to the rest of the lyrics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2018, 07:31:30 PM »
Boots and the other “middle” songs interrupt the flow of the album but I think its a great song on a stand-alone basis.  Great lyrics, great tune, Let me in the sound part is awesome.  Larry’s drum fills are fantastic.  Its the obvious single.  The first single is supposed to be the catchiest song, not the artiest most introspective.  I just do not understand why people don’t like this song. Because of the “sexy boots” line?    Its perfect if you listen to the rest of the lyrics.

I totally understand about leading with a catchy single, not the song where you have to mine the gold even if there is a huge pile of it. I think they could have done better than The Miracle or You're the Best Thing About Me, but I definitely don't hate either song (just rank them last or near to it on otherwise strong albums). But my first reaction on GOYB was "this is garbage" not "meh, kinda catchy but not much to it" like with the others I mentioned.

It wasn't just the Sexy Boots at all, it was basically the whole song minus Let Me In the Sound. Just the Sexy Boots was the easiest way to sum up the cringe.

That said, I won't give up. If I can find anything to like, I will.

I even plan to revisit HTDAAB after this. That's commitment, baby.

At least I've scored 1.5 new songs already - love MOS and like NLOTH.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2018, 09:08:46 PM »
That’s the great thing about music.  Different things speak to different people but there is something for everyone.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2018, 09:26:23 PM »
Yer damn tootin'!

Signed,

Somebody who really, really loves SOE

03/9/81

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2018, 07:55:31 AM »
Yup, and I happen to really like Sexy Boots.
I think It's a super catchy tune!

I may not be the a huge fan of SOE, but I like a few of the songs.
I don't love every song on every LP that U2 has ever done.
But I don't have too, and neither does anybody else.

Yer damn tootin'!

Signed,

Somebody who really, really loves SOE

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2018, 05:04:08 AM »
As long as you acknowledge and accept that you are in the limited minority, that's fine. Boots is widely seen as one of their weakest and I wholeheartedly agree. Shame it had to be on such an experimental album that for the most part wasn't trying to be commercial and catchy.