Author Topic: Gonna dive into NLOTH - any pointers?  (Read 2153 times)

03/9/81

Re: Gonna dive into NLOTH - any pointers?
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2018, 05:20:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As long as you acknowledge and accept that you are in the limited minority, that's fine. Boots is widely seen as one of their weakest and I wholeheartedly agree. Shame it had to be on such an experimental album that for the most part wasn't trying to be commercial and catchy.

Yes, I know that, and yes I accept that. As long as other's can accept, that I like it, and guess what - we aren't all uniform fans that ALL love the same things. I don't look at boots in a musical way, when I hear it, it makes me feel like dancing.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:25:52 AM by 03/9/81 »

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2018, 06:38:49 AM »
As long as you acknowledge and accept that you are in the limited minority, that's fine. Boots is widely seen as one of their weakest and I wholeheartedly agree. Shame it had to be on such an experimental album that for the most part wasn't trying to be commercial and catchy.

Seriously??  As long as we accept that we are dumb for liking it, its okay if we like it?  Why, thank you for your blessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03/9/81

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2018, 07:14:19 AM »

Seriously??  As long as we accept that we are dumb for liking it, its okay if we like it?  Why, thank you for your blessing.

Don't waste your breath Tortuga, I don't! You do you! Music is like politics, and religion, everybody has an opinion, everybody believes they're in the right, everything is how you perceive things. Like what you like, and don't let someone's else's opinion hinder you. Moving on! 

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2018, 07:45:12 AM »
Yeah, that's dumb. It's ok to like a song, album, band, as long as you meet some rando's criteria of acknowleding that rando's declaration? Lol

03/9/81

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2018, 08:02:03 AM »
Just cause I feel like it:

Justice version Sexy Boots.
Bye -
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:03:42 AM by 03/9/81 »

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2018, 09:58:55 AM »

Hey, not every song is meant for the masses, so no worries if the masses can't appreciate one that you do.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2018, 11:47:30 AM »
Don't feel bad for liking Boots. I'm in the camp that enjoys it as well. That intro to the 360 live version takes it up to another level, too.

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2018, 03:07:16 PM »
Hey thanks but I would never feel bad about liking something.  I just don’t like it when people try to make something subjective like art either “right or wrong” or “good or bad”.   Its like food.  No two tongues are alike.  What tastes salty to one person is lacking to another because their tongues are physically different.  Our brains are physically different as are our life experiences.  So it is silly and snobby to judge art as objectively good or bad when its quality can only be judged subjectively and individually.

And, incidentally, if it did matter, critical reviews for Boots were mixed, not universally bad.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2018, 06:02:15 PM »

Don't waste your breath Tortuga, I don't! You do you! Music is like politics, and religion, everybody has an opinion, everybody believes they're in the right, everything is how you perceive things. Like what you like, and don't let someone's else's opinion hinder you. Moving on! 

Lol that fact that Boots isn't thought of as being very good is just the statistical truth. And I happen to fall into the category that supports that. I'm not saying that you can't like a song that most others don't, ob-v-ious-ly. Do you really think another U2 fan could be that narrow minded and dictatorial? I get it, it's music. Hey I like Rebecca Black's Friday. I'm not wrong. I suppose I just see way too much "my opinion overrules your facts" attitudes in today's world that I react in a slightly unsympathetic way - which I know is not what you're doing.

03/9/81

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2018, 06:30:10 PM »

Lol that fact that Boots isn't thought of as being very good is just the statistical truth. And I happen to fall into the category that supports that. I'm not saying that you can't like a song that most others don't, ob-v-ious-ly. Do you really think another U2 fan could be that narrow minded and dictatorial? I get it, it's music. Hey I like Rebecca Black's Friday. I'm not wrong. I suppose I just see way too much "my opinion overrules your facts" attitudes in today's world that I react in a slightly unsympathetic way - which I know is not what you're doing.

Lol! It's a song, that's all! Nothing more then a song. Facts are facts, nobody is arguing you about statistical truths. But like you like Rebecca Black's Friday (I had to Google who she is), we like Sexy Boots!

LOL! As a matter of fact! I live in Canada! I'll be wearing boots as of November till the end of March! Lol! And sexy one's. Had to add some humour to this because It's just gotten ridiculous! Lol!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2018, 09:08:40 PM »
I'm sure you wear your sexy boots quite nicely :o :o

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »
So yeah it's not just an Eno influence but the intros to a lot of songs sound fully written by him - Fez, White as Snow, Cedars, MoS, Unknown Caller.

In TUF I hear only a tiny bit of his direct input - I would guess that opening riff to the title song.

I don't know how to hear Lanois' input.

Anyway, another question: where can I find the alternate lyrics for Unknown Caller? I mean lyrics with an alternative to the computer jargon.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2018, 12:36:47 PM »
What does Breathe remind me of? Something John Lennon did?

Lol at the cockatoo line.

I'm starting to like the album. It was no indictment that I didn't get into it immediately. In fact the songs that are easiest to like can often dry up quickly.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2018, 01:43:32 PM »
What do people think about the rap at the end of Moment of Surrender in the live performances? I watched the one at the Rose Bowl. I think the delivery is good but some of the lyrics are a bit cringe-y, which is too bad because it was close to awesome. But faith in a clown is just too jolting in a bad way, lipstick trace is also similar.

Also, Bono keeps using this face like snow image (Acrobat, Invisible, MoS rap) - what the hell does that mean anyway? I bought it for Acrobat, I'll live with it for Invisible, but it feels cheap in the MoS rap.

I keep complaining about the rap but it's mostly because it's almost good!

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »
So yeah it's not just an Eno influence but the intros to a lot of songs sound fully written by him - Fez, White as Snow, Cedars, MoS, Unknown Caller.

In TUF I hear only a tiny bit of his direct input - I would guess that opening riff to the title song.

I don't know how to hear Lanois' input.

Anyway, another question: where can I find the alternate lyrics for Unknown Caller? I mean lyrics with an alternative to the computer jargon.

I'm pretty sure the Fez intro bit is all Lanois, not Eno. He (Lanois) talks about it in one of the documentaries that came out about the making of the album.