Author Topic: Gonna dive into NLOTH - any pointers?  (Read 2158 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Gonna dive into NLOTH - any pointers?
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »
Ah, my bad.

Where else (in a specific place in another U2 album) can I hear Lanois?

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2018, 03:21:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ah, my bad.

Where else (in a specific place in another U2 album) can I hear Lanois?

The easist way to do that is listen to Lanois’ solo work and then you will recognize it.  Also interesting, when you’re listening to Lanois’ albums, listen for Edge’s influence.  Its all over.

In general Lanois takes a lighter touch with his production with U2 than he does with other artists.  That said, “Grace” is an obvious one.  “In A Little While” I think shows his input.  Lanois’ trademark is that he sounds organic and electronic at the same time.  “One Step Closer” makes me think of Lanois’ solo work.

The albums of other artists that Lanois produced and members of U2 helped out on are interesting too. Emmy Lou Harris Wrecking Ball is produced by Lanois and Larry plays drums on some of the songs.  Robbie Robertson’s self-titled album is produced by Lanois and has Bono and Edge on a couple of songs.  The “Million Dollar Hotel” soundtrack is very Lanois and has a lot of U2 on it.

Off NLOTH, COL has Lanois’ influence.  On JT, RTSS, Mothers, Exit...although that’s very much Eno too.  I don’t think Lanois had really landed on his own sound as much yet at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2018, 03:43:36 PM »
Nice description!

I listened to a bit of Lanois, great idea. I should listen more but it already gave me a good sense. (Off of Shine). There was a bit of familiarity.

I also tried a couple Eno tracks and I was surprised how fully New Age it was. I mean, I knew his sound was ambience but I was used to it being mixed into rock and roll, and the two tracks I heard were 100% straight up New Age and 0% rock or anything else.

I have to listen to NLOTH album closer to tease them apart.

FWIW I think Eno sounds better with U2 than alone - my first impression. There's more stuff going on in the Eno/U2 collabs. I do like the mixture of their sounds.

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2018, 04:12:28 PM »
Nice description!

I listened to a bit of Lanois, great idea. I should listen more but it already gave me a good sense. (Off of Shine). There was a bit of familiarity.

I also tried a couple Eno tracks and I was surprised how fully New Age it was. I mean, I knew his sound was ambience but I was used to it being mixed into rock and roll, and the two tracks I heard were 100% straight up New Age and 0% rock or anything else.

FWIW I think Eno sounds better with U2 than alone - my first impression. There's more stuff going on in the Eno/U2 collabs. I do like the mixture of their sounds.

Eno doesn’t really intend his ambient work to be listened actively the way you listen to pop or rock.  It is intended to be something that just becomes part of the environment.  For example, his music for airports was literally created to be used as a sound installation.

He does have more mainstream Pop/rock releases too, such as “Another Day on Earth”.

Moonstarsky

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2018, 05:02:38 PM »
Nice description!

Eno doesn’t really intend his ambient work to be listened actively the way you listen to pop or rock.  It is intended to be something that just becomes part of the environment.  For example, his music for airports was literally created to be used as a sound installation.

He does have more mainstream Pop/rock releases too, such as “Another Day on Earth”.

If you look back into U2's producer history, you'll find that Lanois/Eno goes back to the mid - 80's. The maturity in the music, the sound that's been produced on the albums shows the influence of both Eno/Lanois.

Eno's music is indeed ambient new age background music. Lanois's is more of a folky sound. They've both won producer awards, and started working with U2 as of Unforgettable Fire. It threw the band into a whole other spectrum of success.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2018, 03:30:38 PM »
Ahhh, I've hit that sweet, sweet nirvana of album infatuation.

Magnificent grew on me. The "I was born to sing for you" verse is amazing.
Unknown Caller works for me. Even the weird lyrics. No, especially the weird lyrics because they are based in meaning for me.
Breathe is different and cool. Still don't know why the song sounds so familiar though.
White as Snow is hitting some harmonic in me. It's freaking gorgeous. I know the music is not original but it's stunning, the lyrics are genius, Bono's vocals are transcendent.
His vocals on Moment of Surrender are also genius, though some might consider them overwrought. But when else can you bleed that much emotion if not rock bottom? I love how jarring the opening line is, then it breaks into such longing with "run free" - just up and down, defiant and needy and immediately relieved and chastised and shamed, back and forth.
NLOTH is a charging bull.
Cedars will probably light up for me soon.

I was on a hiatus so I've had the strange experience of unwrapping 3 "new" albums in the same year. Of course, I still have to give Bomb another chance at some point. If it goes off for me, that'll be 4.

Moonstarsky

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2018, 05:45:07 PM »

Cedars will probably light up for me soon.

If you close your eyes and put aside that you know It's a U2 song. Just listen carefully during Cedars, you'll wonder during a few lines, whose song is this and whose singing Bono or Leonard Cohen.  Cedars, to me is their Leonard Cohen song. Enjoy it.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2018, 06:35:45 PM »
"Beat poetry" is what has occured to me so far.

You're right, one could forget it's a U2 song.

The ending is cool.

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2018, 07:53:30 PM »
Cedars is my favorite on NLOTH.  One of my favorites of all U2.  Lyrics are fantastic.  Just my opinion but there is nothing on the last two albums that even comes close.

This line in my mind is like a plea to God who we sometimes feel has forsaken this world:

So high above me, higher than everyone
Where are you in the cedars of Lebanon?

Moonstarsky

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2018, 10:36:27 PM »
"Beat poetry"

If you like that Try Your Blue Room. Bono does his Cohen their as well.
YouTube link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:43:30 PM by Moonstarsky »

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2018, 08:03:31 PM »
Glad that you're enjoying NLOTH, Laoghaire. 

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2018, 08:19:02 PM »
Glad that you're enjoying NLOTH, Laoghaire.

Thanks! I really am! Things are lighting up like mad! (Not the dreaded three yet, but give it time).

I sneak off to listen to stuff when I can :)

Oh, and Cedars is going great too.

I didn't mention Fez but I had already gone through my love for it earlier, having just worked on that one alone.

Seperately I have discovered Fairytale of New York. I know that's weird to tie with NLOTH. But FONY is fascinating not just for the song but for - as I have learned - its popularity in the British Isles. Number one Christmas song? Like if I said happy Christmas you old ar*e to some Irish person they would likely just retort, hope it's our last? What does that say for culture? The song is very catchy and the tone is a masterpiece and very instructive somehow.

Offline davis

• Stateless
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2018, 05:36:46 AM »
One way Eno has always influenced U2 albums is by doing constant remixing of stuff they've recorded, then playing it back for the band to show them new possibilities and directions in the work.  He is really a sound visionary (Lanois is more of a true musician).  So, aside from the synth work, Eno's influence is more nebulous but also more global. 

To give another example of the Eno influence, he was obsessed with gospel music when they recorded UF and JT.  He played a ton of it for the boys.  In that way, he may have been indirectly "responsible" for songs like MLK and I Still Haven't Found.  He was also lead producer on those albums.  The overall sound of those albums is something he helped lead/push them too. 

Listen to Eno's work with Bowie, David Byrne, and his solo stuff (Another Green World is an all time brilliant album), and you'll begin to get a sense of what he brings.  Dude's a genius in my opinion. 

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2018, 05:52:57 AM »
My musical acumen is quite limited, but from what I have gleaned over the years based on the type of music that U2 has produced with different producers I would have to agree. I get a sense that U2 are pushed in a direction that leads to much more interesting work than when they aren't with him. The conventional tunes wear a little thin on me and I feel like Bono and the Edge get a little too cute with them sometimes, whereas Eno leads them down a path where they are navigating some unique soundscapes and exploring some very different ideas as a result.

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2018, 06:54:25 AM »
My musical acumen is quite limited, but from what I have gleaned over the years based on the type of music that U2 has produced with different producers I would have to agree. I get a sense that U2 are pushed in a direction that leads to much more interesting work than when they aren't with him. The conventional tunes wear a little thin on me and I feel like Bono and the Edge get a little too cute with them sometimes, whereas Eno leads them down a path where they are navigating some unique soundscapes and exploring some very different ideas as a result.

I suppose different people like different things but the Eno/Lanois albums are my favorites by far.  The funny thing is it seems like the lyrics are better.  To the point that I wonder if Eno is talking him out of lines like:

There is a light don’t let it go out
A baby cries on a doorstep
You were talking at me not to me

I know, I know UC lyrics, right?  But those are just artistically questionable.  What I don’t like is the cliche lines.  They make me think of Dr. Phil or something.