Author Topic: Songs the band (Bono) love to perform too much  (Read 1381 times)

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
Songs the band (Bono) love to perform too much
« on: July 26, 2018, 10:42:13 AM »
These songs are performed more than their "melodiousness" allows. Imo of course:

- Staring at the Sun (it's not that tuneful but Edge's full harmonizing on ei2018 is heavenly)

- Every Breaking Wave (snoozer. I miss the 2009 raw live versions like Helsinki. Electricl guitar and vocals only)

- Stuck acoustic (but full band Stuck was great when it came out as the single. The song in the 2 music videos is moving and even inspirational

- Miss Sarajevo (zzz zzz)

They have so many cooler, rarely played songs, like even Window in the Skies or Crystal Ballroom.

Your list? Try not to acronymize lol

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Songs the band (Bono) love to perform too much
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 11:03:25 AM »
I have thought that maybe the main reason for acoustic interludes was to give Larry a break. Just conjecture. So this would explain everything but Miss Sarajevo, which Bono is on record for reallllllly liking.

The thing about acoustic is that it's amazing if Bono makes the vocals special. But on tour, he can't kill himself for one song halfway through a show, and knowing he has however many more shows to do. So he can get away with sounding good/great on full band, but if he is going to basically solo, it needs that extra.

EBW when he is Superman? Oh, god, yes. EBW as just another song? Meh.

He did a jaw-dropping Stuck on Letterman, just incredible. Stuck as just another song? Meh.

So these should really be TV performances where he can give his all.

But - like I said, I think they're giving Larry a break. So we can just be happy to have a little interlude.

Offline Martinski

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 03:25:07 PM »
Eh i guess Elevation is a song they seem to perform too much, quite tired of it. Same with Veritgo.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 02:37:13 PM »
I just love seeing the band live so i'm not overly picky HOWEVER:

i could live without Elevation and stuck. They were thinking of doing Drowning man on 360 and i think that should be revived, such a beautiful haunting song. I think Gone or Mofo are definately worth a re visit, or even playboy mansion.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 08:50:03 PM »
I've always liked UTEOW, but I think it's suffered from a bit of overkill in the live setting.  It was nice to have a concert without Streets, not that I dislike it, just that it's been done so often it's hard to hear it anymore if you know what I mean.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 04:04:30 AM »
This is like Rolling Stones fans complaining on a Stones fan board about the band playing "You Got Me Rocking Now" and "Oh No Not You Again" over and over in concert.

Luckily, U2 do not neglect other newer era songs in their set lists like maybe other bands would.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 07:05:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've always liked UTEOW, but I think it's suffered from a bit of overkill in the live setting.  It was nice to have a concert without Streets, not that I dislike it, just that it's been done so often it's hard to hear it anymore if you know what I mean.

Yes! Everytime I hear the "ahlalala" opening screech of uteotw live, I'm like "4 minutes to power through zzz". I think Edge likes the guitar, and Bono loves the chance for many versions of dramatic screamings at the end. (With ie2015 (and maybe ei2018? Idk) it was the "comfort me! Comfort me!" Wail). It was a cool spectacle on 360 where B and E walked the bridges and touched hands and threw roses.

Dali, I'm complaining that these trite songs are not melodic imo enough. On the other hand, Beautiful Day and Wowy are melodic, even though they can sound tired and Bono sometimes lazily talk-sings them.

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 10:24:57 AM »
This is like Rolling Stones fans complaining on a Stones fan board about the band playing "You Got Me Rocking Now" and "Oh No Not You Again" over and over in concert.

Luckily, U2 do not neglect other newer era songs in their set lists like maybe other bands would.

Excuse me but the personified No Line On the Horizon album quietly crying in the dark corner would say otherwise.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 03:32:46 PM »
i'll add i can die a happy man if i ever hear TTTYAATW live

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 06:09:16 PM »
Vertigo and Elevation

I can do without them, Bono said on the XM stuff he thinks they pump the crowd up and I guess they pump the casual Fans up but so over them

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 05:49:34 PM »
Vertigo and Elevation

I can do without them, Bono said on the XM stuff he thinks they pump the crowd up and I guess they pump the casual Fans up but so over them
Every show I went to, they both got huge crowd reactions.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »
UTEOTW needs to go away and never come back.

I've also been tired of Pride for years now, but at least that's a significant and popular single. UTEOTW is an album track from almost 30 years ago and there's no reason why it's still around.

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »
These songs are performed more than their "melodiousness" allows. Imo of course:

- Staring at the Sun (it's not that tuneful but Edge's full harmonizing on ei2018 is heavenly)

- Every Breaking Wave (snoozer. I miss the 2009 raw live versions like Helsinki. Electricl guitar and vocals only)

- Stuck acoustic (but full band Stuck was great when it came out as the single. The song in the 2 music videos is moving and even inspirational

- Miss Sarajevo (zzz zzz)

They have so many cooler, rarely played songs, like even Window in the Skies or Crystal Ballroom.

Your list? Try not to acronymize lol

I agree with you but sadly, Crystal Ballroom live was a let down.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 05:46:29 AM »
^I think Crystal Ballroom Chicago 2015 was not bad. Lucifer's Hands Chicago 2015 was rockin', I listen to it frequently on yt.

I would even prefer California (even tho they seem to slow it down live for Adam) and Your Blue Room than the usual trite songs. Zzzunday Bloody Zzzunday.

Offline keifer

• Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 01:41:13 PM »
New Years Day; glad they rested it lately
Bullet the BLue Sky seemed to be in the set for 20 years
Staring at The Sun
With or Without you would be ok if it rested a tour or 2  ... we've heard it!