Author Topic: Guy Oseary  (Read 1945 times)

Offline derm

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Guy Oseary
« on: July 28, 2018, 01:34:46 PM »
Does anyone know if there has been any follow up to Guy Osearys response to the fan letter last year?

In his response he said would like to 'set up a mechanism so that every so often we can convene around a band-related subject'.

I have posed this question elsewhere but got no response to it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:21:23 AM by derm »

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: Guy Oseary
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 08:26:42 AM »
Not sure.
But I wonder (and hope) there will be some scope to do something next year.  The band may be taking some time to regroup and refocus on things.  Clearly there has been some issues with ticket sales in the US and the 'alienation' of some fans - also, is the 'fan club' value for money? 
I think there will be a wait to see how things go on the European leg of E&I and see if there are any different patterns there.  Tickets in most cities have sold out. I'm guessing they are waiting for a reaction to the tour and how things work out.  There was not the 'verified fan' sale either.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 09:09:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Not sure.
But I wonder (and hope) there will be some scope to do something next year.  The band may be taking some time to regroup and refocus on things.  Clearly there has been some issues with ticket sales in the US and the 'alienation' of some fans - also, is the 'fan club' value for money? 
I think there will be a wait to see how things go on the European leg of E&I and see if there are any different patterns there.  Tickets in most cities have sold out. I'm guessing they are waiting for a reaction to the tour and how things work out.  There was not the 'verified fan' sale either.

The problems with ticket sales were minor and were do to the Joshua Tree Tour being done the year before and weakening demand for this years tour. At the average ticket price U2 is charging, they still would have made a profit if the arenas were a little less than half full. Rush's 2012 tour for their final album played to arenas that were primarily less than half full, around 8,000 to 10,000 in attendance. U2 is a long way from that and are still overall one of the top 5 concert artist in the industry worldwide. The next album/tour cycle will likely gross $400 million dollars provided they play at least 100 shows for it and include stadiums outside North America. The only other artist I can think of that is likely or could gross $400 million+ on their next album/tour cycle is Coldplay.

But not having any new hit songs and an aging fan base will cause some decline over time. But their declining from a pretty high summit and the decline will likely be gradual rather than some sudden cliff drop.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 08:06:59 AM »
Not sure.
+1

The problems with ticket sales were minor and were do to the Joshua Tree Tour being done the year before and weakening demand for this years tour. At the average ticket price U2 is charging, they still would have made a profit if the arenas were a little less than half full. Rush's 2012 tour for their final album played to arenas that were primarily less than half full, around 8,000 to 10,000 in attendance. U2 is a long way from that and are still overall one of the top 5 concert artist in the industry worldwide. The next album/tour cycle will likely gross $400 million dollars provided they play at least 100 shows for it and include stadiums outside North America. The only other artist I can think of that is likely or could gross $400 million+ on their next album/tour cycle is Coldplay.

But not having any new hit songs and an aging fan base will cause some decline over time. But their declining from a pretty high summit and the decline will likely be gradual rather than some sudden cliff drop.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 02:16:08 PM »
since he came on board the ticket prices have become too over priced..............haven't missed a concert since 1987 and didn't attend the last one because the prices are just too high to listen to mainly new material that is sub par IMO

Offline KenKaniff

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 03:37:36 PM »
I don't think Guy Oseary is interested in communication with the U2 community. I think he said what he said because there were real screws and he wanted to get out of it. Just a PR move.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 06:27:02 PM »
since he came on board the ticket prices have become too over priced..............haven't missed a concert since 1987 and didn't attend the last one because the prices are just too high to listen to mainly new material that is sub par IMO

That's not fair when there are tickets priced at $40, $76, and $106 dollars. There are ticket prices for every budget on this tour. You can't judge prices just by the ones that are most expensive.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 06:48:24 PM »

That's not fair when there are tickets priced at $40, $76, and $106 dollars. There are ticket prices for every budget on this tour. You can't judge prices just by the ones that are most expensive.

I agree. I donít think the ticket prices are at all out of line for an act like U2, compared to other artists.  I do find it hard to believe Coldplay is the only artist that can beat $400MM.  Surely Taylor Swift beat that for the tour alone.

I also think the EI setlist decision could have a long-term detrimental effect on future ticket sales to casual fans, which are the majority of ticket buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 07:23:07 PM »
Guy doesnít give a crap about u2 fans. Heís here for the money and thatís it. The dude acts like heís a celebrity, not a manager.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 11:21:46 PM »

I agree. I donít think the ticket prices are at all out of line for an act like U2, compared to other artists.  I do find it hard to believe Coldplay is the only artist that can beat $400MM.  Surely Taylor Swift beat that for the tour alone.

I also think the EI setlist decision could have a long-term detrimental effect on future ticket sales to casual fans, which are the majority of ticket buyers.

Well, realize I'm talking about a non-nostalgia tour, non-reunion tour. A tour for a new album of music. Coldplay are the only band or artist that are still active that has done that recently and could possibly do it again. Taylor Swift has never grossed 400 million on tour. She'll come close on the current tour. Her problem is that 80% of her fanbase is in the United States and its very difficult to get to $400 million, let alone the $700+ plus million U2 did on 360, when most of your fans are in the United States.

As for casual U2 fans, most of them sat out the recent tours for the band. Last time you had a lot of casuals at a U2 show was on the 360 tour.

Offline derm

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 02:31:55 AM »
I don't think Guy Oseary is interested in communication with the U2 community. I think he said what he said because there were real screws and he wanted to get out of it. Just a PR move.

That certainly appears to be the case or maybe there has been communication with a small group of fans.  The problem is where there is a lack of information it will lead to speculation.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 03:35:50 AM »

That certainly appears to be the case or maybe there has been communication with a small group of fans.  The problem is where there is a lack of information it will lead to speculation.

This is where we need to fight back and make our voice heard.  I think we need to orchestrate something that expresses our views - a campaign perhaps.
U2 are encouraging us to be activists - so what would be wrong with challenging in this situation?  You could vote with your feet and not show.  But that will eventually lead to lower ticket sales and maybe a situation where the entourage feel despair.  I don't want them to feel dispirited.  I want them to feel that they need to listen to fan voices so that they have to act.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 06:14:41 AM »

Well, realize I'm talking about a non-nostalgia tour, non-reunion tour. A tour for a new album of music. Coldplay are the only band or artist that are still active that has done that recently and could possibly do it again. Taylor Swift has never grossed 400 million on tour. She'll come close on the current tour. Her problem is that 80% of her fanbase is in the United States and its very difficult to get to $400 million, let alone the $700+ plus million U2 did on 360, when most of your fans are in the United States.

As for casual U2 fans, most of them sat out the recent tours for the band. Last time you had a lot of casuals at a U2 show was on the 360 tour.

Hmmm... I remember reading projections that it would top $400MM for the tour alone.  Then you have to add album sales.  But, I donít track music sales so you would probably know.

Well, I donít know how you define ďcasualsĒ, let alone know what percentage of them are at a show, but I felt like a lot of the people at the show I attended did not know the new songs, which would make them casual in my book.  Most of the people I know who went to the show are definitely casual.  I think if you reduced the audience to people who were not disappointed with the EI setlist, it would be a small audience.  Any band thatís been as popular for as long as U2, people are going to expect to hear the big songs.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 12:43:51 PM »
U2 as much as I love them have lost touch with many fans ........  too much about money and hit singles.......  not enough substance for me any longer. 

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 01:19:31 PM »
I'm not aware of what Guy O'Seary said, or what he meant by it.

But seeing the responses here....what exactly aren't U2 doing that you want them to do, or do differently?  If you're saying the tickets are too expensive, I might agree with you--but as long as they're able to sell out shows, it probably doesn't matter what I think.  I see folks kicking around Guy O'Seary, but I'm not sure I understand why--the band have been raising ticket prices along with everyone else over their entire career.