0 (0%)
Jim Morrison
0 (0%)
Kurt Cobain
0 (0%)
other (list in comments)
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Best American Singer/Songwriter?  (Read 741 times)

03/9/81

Re: Best American Singer/Songwriter?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 06:38:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I thought that Dave Matthews was South African?

Just found out they're American! Oops, my bad.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 12:30:42 PM »

Canadian songwriter?  Leonard Cohen would like a word, if Neil Young doesn't beat him to it.

Leonard Cohen is in a category by himself. Just my opinion, I don't believe anybody can be compared to him. Neil Young, Gord Downie (who I love dearly!) Are both great, I just have found that one of the most underrated Canadians is Dave Matthews, that's just my opinion. Raine Maida, from Our Lady of Peace (OLP), is also excellent! And, (I call him my sweetie pie, I just love his voice and songs) Dallas Green or the name he sings under City and Colour, he's amazing!

One of my fav's American females is Brittany Howard from the Alabama Shakes.
I still think Cohen is the songwriter that Dylan wishes he could be.  Especially for the late career output.  Dylan hasn't done anything memorable in the last 4 decades that i can think of (and i'm a big fan) while Cohen was putting out great songs up the very end on nothing more than a cheap casio keyboard in his living room and his words.  I'm still bummed thinking about Cohen's passing.

03/9/81

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 04:25:20 PM »

Canadian songwriter?  Leonard Cohen would like a word, if Neil Young doesn't beat him to it.

Leonard Cohen is in a category by himself. Just my opinion, I don't believe anybody can be compared to him. Neil Young, Gord Downie (who I love dearly!) Are both great, I just have found that one of the most underrated Canadians is Dave Matthews, that's just my opinion. Raine Maida, from Our Lady of Peace (OLP), is also excellent! And, (I call him my sweetie pie, I just love his voice and songs) Dallas Green or the name he sings under City and Colour, he's amazing!

I still think Cohen is the songwriter that Dylan wishes he could be.  Especially for the late career output.  Dylan hasn't done anything memorable in the last 4 decades that i can think of (and i'm a big fan) while Cohen was putting out great songs up the very end on nothing more than a cheap casio keyboard in his living room and his words.  I'm still bummed thinking about Cohen's passing.

You have no argument from me.

I think we've accidentally hijacked this thread. I apologize to the person who started it.

gasface257

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 06:03:03 AM »

You have no argument from me.

I think we've accidentally hijacked this thread. I apologize to the person who started it.

No worries. Once its posted, it belongs to everybody.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 06:04:14 PM »
I'd take any of these over everyone on that list:

Stevie Wonder
Chris Cornell
Maurice White
Lucinda Williams
Prince
Brandi Carlisle
Smokey Robinson
Lyle Lovett
Jerry Cantrell
John Fogerty
Carole King
Dave Mustaine
Neko Case
Sarah Fimm

...and the best American singer/songwriter right now? Zola Jesus, hands f-n down. 5 killer albums in the last 9 years.

From that list? Paul Simon, and I'm not even really a fan of his.

Offline scott7

• Stateless
  • Surrender
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 11:20:20 AM »
Bob Dylan - no one more influential and no one has ever surpassed Like a rolling stone. Springsteen next.

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 06:15:04 PM »
No love for Woody Guthrie? A huge influence on Bob Dylan no less. I would've said Van Morrison (every bit the equal to Dylan, Young & Cohen IMO), but realized this list was American songwriters.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:16:53 PM by DK46 »