Author Topic: Are Coldplay more proficient songwriters than U2?  (Read 801 times)

asterik

Are Coldplay more proficient songwriters than U2?
« on: August 07, 2018, 12:19:19 AM »
Discovering Coldplay's seemingly endless amount of quality b-sides is making me question the rate of U2's musical output. On Youtube you can find almost endless amounts of b-sides and unreleased songs recorded by Coldplay, and the scary thing is most of them are better than Coldplay album quality. I read something yesterday about that for the Viva La Vida sessions alone Coldplay recorded over 80 songs, which is staggering.

This band is only 20 years old and they've already recorded at least 130 songs. U2 are 43 years old and they've recorded around 220 songs?

Coldplay seem to be able to churn out material at such a fast rate and they have this staggering back catalogue, which leads me to wonder, are they more proficient songwriters than U2?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:37:05 AM by asterik »

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: Are Coldplay more proficient songwriters than U2?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 10:06:42 AM »
I think time will tell.  Still too early.  U2 also has their hands in a lot more things than Coldplay does- charities, etc.  Coldplay.
But i will say that i think Noel Gallagher is probably more proficient.  His B-sides from the Oasis years are amazing.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:57:54 AM »
Hmm, I really don’t find such comparisons meaningful.  Its art.  Its subjective.  Its not a competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 03:07:55 PM »
A better comparison would be each band at the same point in their time together. Coldplay are only approaching 20 years together.

If Coldplay have more songs in 20 years than U2 did, then there’s your answer, FWIW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Thanksandy

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 08:03:32 AM »
Is this a joke? I would say Coldplay have recorded about 5 decent songs. They are a very average act, with a poor singer and produce some interesting tunes, but overall they are quite boring. There is nothing distinct about them, they lack charisma and I feel that's reflected in their music.

They may be more prolific songwriters, but just because they have written a large quantity of tracks, doesn't necessarily mean they are all quality.
I remember seeing an interview that George Michael was giving about Prince and how he had no filter. I think Prince was amazing and one of my favourite artists, but he recorded too much material and it varied in quality, which may have watered down his overall output to an extent. He was capable of reaching genous levels, but other times the songs I heard erre just extended jams not going anywhere.

Coldplay appeal to a certain market and they have obviously been a commercial success over a long period of time. However, the question of how meaningful, inspiring and influential their music is, would to a totally different one.

U2 in my view, are miles ahead and Coldplay will never reach them, in terms of songwriting, quality of music catalogue, live performances, emotional connection, influence and lots more..

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 05:05:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This band is only 20 years old and they've already recorded at least 130 songs. U2 are 43 years old and they've recorded around 220 songs?

Quality not quantity, my friend  ;)

I do like Coldplay, don’t get me wrong, but they aren’t more proficient as songwriters than U2 are in my opinion.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »
Coldplay has a few decent tunes, but that's about it.  Not in the same league as U2.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 11:20:44 PM »
No.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 08:06:06 PM »
I had such high hopes for Coldplay, and while I would still put them up there as one of my favourite bands, unfortunately they seem to have slipped off into the world of pop music, radio friendly tunes, colabs and feel good jingly songs that are a bit one and done.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 08:00:36 AM »
Coldplay has a few decent tunes, but that's about it.  Not in the same league as U2.

This. Their first 3 albums were good.....then its downhill after that. Much like Oasis (for my taste)

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 04:53:50 PM »

This. Their first 3 albums were good.....then its downhill after that. Much like Oasis (for my taste)

This one hits close to home being a big Oasis fan and a fan of Coldplay  :P

I agree that the first 3 are good, but please please don't discount Viva la Vida or Death & All His Friends. I think that's their best (along with AROBTTH) and most adventurous album with some fantastic tunes on there. There's no clunkers on there at all and it's a masterpiece imo. Mylo Xyloto is good too (minus Princess of China) and is the best mix of rock, pop, and electronic for Coldplay. Ghost Stories is sort of like an electronic poor man's Parachutes but there's still some good tunes there. AHFOD is a mess, I'll give you that.

Oasis did fall off after BHN, but that was due to some bad tracklisting choices quite a bit, especially on SOTSOG and DOYS. There's some good tunes from the 2000s, but I do hate it that they never tried anything drastically different, even though they hinted at it with SOTSOG and DOYS, which is almost the exact opposite of what Coldplay did in the 2010s lol

Offline zoomba23

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 03:26:48 AM »
Is this a joke? I would say Coldplay have recorded about 5 decent songs. They are a very average act, with a poor singer and produce some interesting tunes, but overall they are quite boring. There is nothing distinct about them, they lack charisma and I feel that's reflected in their music.

They may be more prolific songwriters, but just because they have written a large quantity of tracks, doesn't necessarily mean they are all quality.
I remember seeing an interview that George Michael was giving about Prince and how he had no filter. I think Prince was amazing and one of my favourite artists, but he recorded too much material and it varied in quality, which may have watered down his overall output to an extent. He was capable of reaching genous levels, but other times the songs I heard erre just extended jams not going anywhere.

Coldplay appeal to a certain market and they have obviously been a commercial success over a long period of time. However, the question of how meaningful, inspiring and influential their music is, would to a totally different one.

U2 in my view, are miles ahead and Coldplay will never reach them, in terms of songwriting, quality of music catalogue, live performances, emotional connection, influence and lots more..
Oof. Like the honesty, disagree with your view on Coldplay though. I'd say they'd have about 3 or 4 really decent songs per album (bar Head Full Of Dreams), and they are definitely up there as one of my favourite bands. Btw, I'm really hard to please music-wise, so 3 or 4 great songs per album is nothing to be sniffed at. Agree with your assessment of them as going down the mainstream pop path. Personally I was really happy with basically everything they did up until A Head Full Of Dreams, but from there it didn't go so well. They mainstreamed their sound, and as a result earned the scorn of many longtime Coldplay fans such as myself. But there's no denying that they are a great band. I think the most disturbing thing was that A Head Full Of Dreams was still better than so much of the stuff put out these days, despite its plainness.

Regarding lyrics, meaning, political messages, and so forth, U2 are streets ahead. U2 are meaningful with their lyrics and like to make a statement through their songs, and I don't think I'll ever find such profound lyrics in a song as I did in Running To Stand Still (the cry without weeping bit made me cry through its sheer power). Chris Martin so often just spouts metaphorical, cryptic stuff, and he often comes back to the same themes in his lyrics. Not to mention that the Edge is just about the greatest guitarist that has ever lived. He sure knows how to create a sound that man.

I think the main thing for me about Coldplay is they can write one hell of a tune, and they complement each other extraordinarily well. There is nothing that special about Chris Martin's voice, nor Will Champion's drumming, but when you hear them, it just... works. It works so goddamn well. And about live performances, well that's a debatable one. Coldplay put out shows that are just as amazing as U2, their live performances are something to behold.

So yeah, sorry if I've gone on a bit, but to see a fellow U2 fan denounce Coldplay, who are so obviously influenced by U2, I just felt like I had to say something (if only to justify my own Coldplay passion). As far as bands go, U2 are better in my opinion, but not by a whole lot. They're both incredible bands in their own right, and that in itself is something to celebrate.