Author Topic: 1981 footage unearthed  (Read 488 times)

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
1981 footage unearthed
« on: August 10, 2018, 02:58:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Leather pants, sweat and punk rock - as QUB Student's Union undergoes major refurbishment we unearthed footage from 1981 of U2 and Stiff Little Fingers performing at McMordie Hall, later renamed Mandela Hall.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: 1981 footage unearthed
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 07:57:06 AM »
That's an awesome performance. I link the full video in my blow-by-blow description post here:

Highlights include: drunk Baby Bono, a pratfall, pawing by the audience, ripping away of mic and shirt by audience, and Bono's verbalized realization that he messed up the lyrics.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 09:08:35 AM »
Brilliant footage,  I've had a good chuckle at that and watched it back.  It's hilarious in places.  Was it the Riverdance auditions in the instrumental break?!

On a few occasions, I saw Eli in young Bono's face and stage presence - but thought that Eli could never mess up as spectacularly greatly as his dad - because his dad being first had no one to follow.  Bob Hewson was an theatrical tenor (funny how Bono can do that now...). Eli is in a young rock band, just like his father 37 years previously, so he can see all those mistakes and try to avoid them.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 09:54:34 AM »
The only mistake I saw was the dancing. And, oh boy.

Sure, the rest was a hot mess. But punk is a hot mess. It was brilliantly done.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 10:13:20 AM »
Eli has a tougher road, not easier, because he is in the shadow of his father no matter what he does. He needs space to find himself and make his own mistakes, but that's very hard to do when people are constantly measuring you against your father instead of just taking you as you are.

Ask Julian Lennon whether it's easier or harder being an artist with John Lennon as your father. Even now, after he has made his own contributions, everyone sees John Lennon's Son, not Julian. (Fortunately I believe Bono was a much, much better father, at least.)

Offline Moonstarsky

• Babyface
  • Shut your electronic devices & go out!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »
Eli has a tougher road, not easier, because he is in the shadow of his father no matter what he does. He needs space to find himself and make his own mistakes, but that's very hard to do when people are constantly measuring you against your father instead of just taking you as you are.

Ask Julian Lennon whether it's easier or harder being an artist with John Lennon as your father. Even now, after he has made his own contributions, everyone sees John Lennon's Son, not Julian. (Fortunately I believe Bono was a much, much better father, at least.)

Kids of famous parents have it extremely tough trying to establish a career. They get questioned a little to often about the famous parent/sibling instead of attention being given to the proper person. Eleven years ago, we went to see The Police Reunion Tour, we had no idea that the opening act was Stings son's band. Sting himself mentioned it, and so did my local rock radio station.

I do believe that Bono is a good father, just the fact that his daughter's birthday is the same as his, and he focuses his attention on celebrating her birthday and ignores his own, proves he has his priorities right.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 02:47:03 PM »
I agree that Bono seems to be an excellent father.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 02:33:52 PM »
He has made up that which he did not have in his own childhood (a meaningful relationship with his father).  He seems to be there for all four of his children.

Offline Moonstarsky

• Babyface
  • Shut your electronic devices & go out!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 03:33:30 PM »
He has made up that which he did not have in his own childhood (a meaningful relationship with his father).  He seems to be there for all four of his children.

Yes I know, we've all heard about it in a few interviews with him.

You either learn and rise above your difficulties in life, childhood, etc.  Or -
You let it stew in you and swallow you whole til it spits you out, a fragment of a person.