Author Topic: U2 at The RDS - 25 Years  (Read 618 times)

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
U2 at The RDS - 25 Years
« on: August 10, 2018, 08:35:25 PM »
Just realized - in about a couple of weeks it'll be exactly 25 years since U2's legendary concert at the RDS in Dublin, the one that was broadcast around the world on the radio.  I told this story before, so here's the short version.  I listened to it in the basement of my house with two cassettes at the ready (which have since worn out and eventually lost in time), and after all was said and done I vowed to see the guys in their hometown someday... 

On Thanksgiving Week 2015 i saw them at 'The Point'  (it's actually called the 3Arena, but apparently nobody really wants to call it that, even the Luas light rail trains that go to the stop near the venue still refer to it as 'The Point'). For those who were either at the RDS or were just listening on the radio like me, did this show inspire you to go see U2 in Dublin?  More importantly, did you actually do it?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
Re: U2 at The RDS - 25 Years
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 08:53:47 PM »
I remember the RDS show vividly. Radio has such power over the imagination. I still won't watch footage of this show because it has such a grip on me. Stay an absolute highlight from Zooropa 93.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 09:03:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I remember the RDS show vividly. Radio has such power over the imagination. I still won't watch footage of this show because it has such a grip on me. Stay an absolute highlight from Zooropa 93.

I had a slightly different response, I wanted to SEE the show, since it sounded so awesome, haha!  Zoo Station was the big one for me, not just because it was the start, it was particularly powerful that day.  But Stay was awesome too, absolutely.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 09:06:54 PM »
No, it didn't lead me to see them in Dublin or even vow to.

That said, that was a big night for me. I remember it quite clearly. It was a big deal on the radio, and the local station that broadcast it played U2 all day leading up to it (in alphabetical order, no less).

I purchased a double cassette for the occasion, so I got it all on one. I was also so fast turning it over to side 2 that I lost only about 2 seconds of recording.

I had all the lights off in my room and I closed my eyes and felt like I was there. It was easy for me to picture it since I had seen them twice, on the first and second American legs.

In 1999, I made my very first eBay purchase: some guy had a CD of this up for auction. It got bid up to $100 and I won it. Was I a sucker for paying $100 for a burned Cd? Sure. But I felt really lucky for finding and winning it. The guy did a nice job with it, with a beautiful cover (MacPhisto lounging on the sofa) and nicely printed CD labels. I got other bootlegs from him afterward, at much lower prices, and he threw a free one in too because he felt kind of bad about the $100 CD though it wasn't his fault!

If I could only have one album for the rest of my life this one would be it. They are in top form. Bono's voice is heavenly. So many big moments. It's hard to believe they can sound that good, live and unvarnished.

Happy 25th to this amazing performance.

God, I feel old.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 12:55:01 PM »
Help! was amazing.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 03:13:57 PM »
Help! was amazing.

Love the guy who shouted Help! at the right moment.

There were some people murdering their lungs that night, screaming BONOOOOOOOOO throughout. Love the Help! guy but wish some of the stans would stfu so I don't have to sprain my eyeballs rolling them during an otherwise magical recording.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 03:15:25 PM »
Like the I'LL HELP YOU BONO guy.

Ow, my eyeballs.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 05:17:40 PM »
Yep, I also had two tapes at the ready...only, my trick was to cue the other tape up and simply swap tapes at the right time to avoid losing any audio. Turns out I needed a third tape to get the full encore, which luckily I had.

I just found it as a free download online in the last few years. Its still weird to hear it without the audio drops between tapes and station IDs.

Possibly the best performance Ive ever heard from them, starting with his voice during Zoo Station. I loved the beat breakdown during Desire, when Macphisto sang you make me feel.... Great, great show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 05:39:47 PM »
"Everybody got one."

Offline ultravioletacrobat

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 03:27:41 PM »
Excellent show indeed with the exception of With Or Without You...... It seemed to run off the tracks or something.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 04:05:35 AM »

This?

Offline jocu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 04:58:00 AM »
I forgot that Bono cocked up Zoo Station.. Maybe that's what caused the lyrics to be scrolled on the monitors on future tours  ;)

Offline Onob_Nosweh

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 04:13:03 PM »
I didn't catch it on the radio, but I came across it later in bootleg form. Still my favorite live U2 recording. Bad, Stay, Ultraviolet... Peak of their powers.