Author Topic: What do you think the next tour will be like?  (Read 2423 times)

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
What do you think the next tour will be like?
« on: August 14, 2018, 04:10:39 PM »
EXCLUDING ANY ANNIVERSARY TOUR (ZOO30, Achtung, etc). Imagine what the next tour will be like for the inevitable next album. Stadium? Arena? Single video screen? Where will it start? Starts in Australia? Will TJT return to the setlist? Will Bono have square shades?

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: What do you think the next tour will be like?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 06:16:39 PM »
Arena. No idea on screen/layout, could be scaled up or down from e+i. Will start in the US like usual. No Pacific leg despite everything. Bono will wear shades, no idea shape or color, and black clothes. Edge will be bedazzled, Larry will be in a white t, and Adam will be the only one in an outfit reasonably different from last time. Streets and other JT will return.

Album in 2023. Fans will moan and groan for years, become ecstatic the first month of the release and say it's their best since Pop, then they'll start moaning and groaning again after the initial buzz and say it's crap after all. Fans will clamor for more experimentalism while demanding they return to their roots, say they band should just grow some balls and put out some damn rock music, that they should stop doing the same boring things, and that they went too far off the beaten path.

I will love the album so hard and I will be in GA for the first time in my life.

I will cave and get tix for my daughter and her friend against my better judgement, and my 17 year old daughter will b**** and moan nonstop about being in GA without a seat. I will want to strangle her. When Streets starts I will be transported.

The next day I will fall into melancholy and hope to God I can do it again.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 06:31:04 AM »
I'm not sure there will be another formal tour

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 01:47:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Really,? Iím more shocked an admin is saying this. I think the next forma tour could be the last, but to me there is 0% chance of it not happening.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 02:15:10 PM »

Really,? Iím more shocked an admin is saying this. I think the next forma tour could be the last, but to me there is 0% chance of it not happening.

There is no artist for whom the next tour has a 0% chance of not happening.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 03:36:57 PM »

Iím a U2 as well as admin on here but just my view. Iím not convinced they guys want to go on forever thatís all. May be wrong but they will disappear for a while after this tour.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 07:37:53 PM »
I think three of them would love to go on forever.  The next tour will be a more stripped-back affair would be my guess.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »

Iím a U2 as well as admin on here but just my view. Iím not convinced they guys want to go on forever thatís all. May be wrong but they will disappear for a while after this tour.

Stop and do what? This is what they love doing. Being age 58 is not old for a traveling musician. Especially given the style and comfort they travel in. This is what they enjoy doing in life. Its not a a 9 to 5 job that some person does not enjoy or actually hates and their looking forward to retirement to get away from it. That does not exist in this case. To stop doing this would be like asking them to stop breathing or eating. This has been in their blood since age 16.

But, these ideas of the last tour or the end have been around for a long time. At least since just after Rattle and Hum in 1989/1990. It never happens though. U2 will not live forever of course, but trying to knock them down at age 58 is several decades too early.

R.E.M.'s break of was a surprise at the time, but when you look back it was understandable. One of the band members had already left about 15 years earlier which changed the dynamic. The bands following had declined to tiny levels. They had just completed their record contract. The band members were all living far away from each other and had grown apart. The band also met during College which is not the same bonding experience as High School and having grown up in the same town. I don't see ANY of these things with U2 at all.

Moonstarsky

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 05:22:14 PM »

We obviously all want the band to continue. Adam said it himself, they'll be taking a long break. 4 years is a long time to take a break. You also have to understand something else,  wife's, kids, family, friends etc, need and want attention as well. And they deserve it! And the band also deserves a break.

Singnomore, didn't say that the band isn't going to continue, what they said is that they aren't sure that they'll be another formal tour. And in all honesty, as much as I'd love a new album SOON and another TOUR SOON! I tend to agree with singnomore. Let them take their well deserved break and hopefully, we'll hear a new album in 2023, and see them in concert 2024.

Till a formal announcement is made, all we're doing is speculating.

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 08:50:52 PM »
Iím no prognosticator but it seems a logical assumption for what we might see on the next tour, whenever that happens, is more virtual reality. U2 will be the same band that concert goers have experienced for the last 18 years; the question now becomes what can this band do to ENHANCE the audience experience? This is the same issue professional & amateur sports leagues have been dealing with since the start of the new millennium. Given that sports have had to compete with the rise of technology & other forms of entertainment, sports leagues have been competing for the consumerís dollars & attention. Itís no different with the concert industry so my guess is more VR, or the next major technological breakthrough that really captures the audiences attention.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 01:12:41 PM by LToy »

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 01:57:43 PM »

Stop and do what? This is what they love doing. Being age 58 is not old for a traveling musician. Especially given the style and comfort they travel in. This is what they enjoy doing in life. Its not a a 9 to 5 job that some person does not enjoy or actually hates and their looking forward to retirement to get away from it. That does not exist in this case. To stop doing this would be like asking them to stop breathing or eating. This has been in their blood since age 16.

But, these ideas of the last tour or the end have been around for a long time. At least since just after Rattle and Hum in 1989/1990. It never happens though. U2 will not live forever of course, but trying to knock them down at age 58 is several decades too early.

R.E.M.'s break of was a surprise at the time, but when you look back it was understandable. One of the band members had already left about 15 years earlier which changed the dynamic. The bands following had declined to tiny levels. They had just completed their record contract. The band members were all living far away from each other and had grown apart. The band also met during College which is not the same bonding experience as High School and having grown up in the same town. I don't see ANY of these things with U2 at all.

I totally agree with you. It's ridiculous to think the band will stop recording and/or touring in the next 10 years. Same talk of breaking up after every tour in the last 30 years. :) :) I mean the band has (or is about) to sign a new contract with Live Nation.

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 11:15:41 AM »
Iím no prognosticator but it seems a logical assumption for what we might see on the next tour, whenever that happens, is more virtual reality. U2 will be the same band that concert goers have experienced for the last 18 years; the question now becomes what can this band do to ENHANCE the audience experience? This is the same issue professional & amateur sports leagues have been dealing with since the start of the new millennium. Given that sports have had to compete with the rise of technology & other forms of entertainment, sports leagues have been competing for the consumerís dollars & attention. Itís no different with the concert industry so my guess is more VR, or the next major technological breakthrough that really captures the audiences attention.

So it sounds like youíre saying they need more techno-gimmicks to keep peopleís interest.  I donít know if youíre right or wrong but I wish they would go back to basics.  I donít buy concert tickets to watch a screen.  I can do that with a DVD.

Trying to predict what they will do is silly because no one here knows their personal lives or what they want.  I can guarantee you there wonít be several decades though.  Several has to be at least four.  Any less is a few or a couple or one.  I doubt seriously if they are touring at age 95 to 98.  Some real over-optimism here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 04:07:02 PM »
So it sounds like youíre saying they need more techno-gimmicks to keep peopleís interest.  I donít know if youíre right or wrong but I wish they would go back to basics.  I donít buy concert tickets to watch a screen.  I can do that with a DVD.

I actually agree Iíd like to see a more stripped down approach to the tour production as it would be a refreshing change of pace. But I donít think that will happen because of this quote from Bono in the Elevation Tour Program where Danny Eccleston (Q Magazine Editor at the time) asked this question: There were rumors that this would be a stripped down, lo-fi, t-shirt & jeans tour...

BONO:Youíve been listening to Larry again, havenít you? No, we canít let Larry have it all his own way. Again weíve got some really mind-bending ideas. You see, itís our job to blow our own minds, as well as everyone elseís. And while that can happen in the internal sense of singing and playing together, it can also happen in terms of the gigís design.

I feel this has been U2ís mantra to touring ever since ZOO TV & I donít think itís in their DNA to go back to a stripped down tour.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 04:10:04 PM by LToy »

Moonstarsky

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 04:36:49 PM »
I'd LOVE to see Bono continuing to do Mr. MacPhisto but, he needs to be holding a puppy with a diamond studded collar! I think it's pretty obvious that the band will to go high - technology.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:13:03 PM by Moonstarsky »

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »

I actually agree Iíd like to see a more stripped down approach to the tour production as it would be a refreshing change of pace. But I donít think that will happen because of this quote from Bono in the Elevation Tour Program where Danny Eccleston (Q Magazine Editor at the time) asked this question: There were rumors that this would be a stripped down, lo-fi, t-shirt & jeans tour...

BONO:Youíve been listening to Larry again, havenít you? No, we canít let Larry have it all his own way. Again weíve got some really mind-bending ideas. You see, itís our job to blow our own minds, as well as everyone elseís. And while that can happen in the internal sense of singing and playing together, it can also happen in terms of the gigís design.

I feel this has been U2ís mantra to touring ever since ZOO TV & I donít think itís in their DNA to go back to a stripped down tour.

You might be right but there is precedence.  ZooTV and PopMart were bombastic productions and Elevation was pretty stripped back.