Author Topic: What do you think the next tour will be like?  (Read 2769 times)

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: What do you think the next tour will be like?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 01:43:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I’m no prognosticator but it seems a logical assumption for what we might see on the next tour, whenever that happens, is more virtual reality.

After seeing the trailers before this tour started, I was expecting more augmented reality this time around. Not just a crappy app.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 04:42:29 AM »
Iím no prognosticator but it seems a logical assumption for what we might see on the next tour, whenever that happens, is more virtual reality. U2 will be the same band that concert goers have experienced for the last 18 years; the question now becomes what can this band do to ENHANCE the audience experience? This is the same issue professional & amateur sports leagues have been dealing with since the start of the new millennium. Given that sports have had to compete with the rise of technology & other forms of entertainment, sports leagues have been competing for the consumerís dollars & attention. Itís no different with the concert industry so my guess is more VR, or the next major technological breakthrough that really captures the audiences attention.

So it sounds like youíre saying they need more techno-gimmicks to keep peopleís interest.  I donít know if youíre right or wrong but I wish they would go back to basics.  I donít buy concert tickets to watch a screen.  I can do that with a DVD.

Trying to predict what they will do is silly because no one here knows their personal lives or what they want.  I can guarantee you there wonít be several decades though.  Several has to be at least four.  Any less is a few or a couple or one.  I doubt seriously if they are touring at age 95 to 98.  Some real over-optimism here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Several is more than one. B.B. King was still doing a 100 shows a year at age 88. It will take U2 about two decades to get to where the Rolling Stones are now. Have the Rolling Stones stopped? Nope. Has Paul McCartney stopped? Nope.

We have an idea of what they want based on what they have done in the past and what they have stated in public. They have been doing this since age 16. Given that, they will likely do this for the rest of their lives.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 04:47:36 AM »
I'm not sure there will be another formal tour

Really,? Iím more shocked an admin is saying this. I think the next forma tour could be the last, but to me there is 0% chance of it not happening.

Iím a U2 as well as admin on here but just my view. Iím not convinced they guys want to go on forever thatís all. May be wrong but they will disappear for a while after this tour.

We obviously all want the band to continue. Adam said it himself, they'll be taking a long break. 4 years is a long time to take a break. You also have to understand something else,  wife's, kids, family, friends etc, need and want attention as well. And they deserve it! And the band also deserves a break.

Singnomore, didn't say that the band isn't going to continue, what they said is that they aren't sure that they'll be another formal tour. And in all honesty, as much as I'd love a new album SOON and another TOUR SOON! I tend to agree with singnomore. Let them take their well deserved break and hopefully, we'll hear a new album in 2023, and see them in concert 2024.

Till a formal announcement is made, all we're doing is speculating.

They have been doing formal tours since 1979. Why would they suddenly stop now? For this band, not having another formal tour would be such a change that it would be essentially, not continuing as a band.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 07:46:42 AM »

Really,? Iím more shocked an admin is saying this. I think the next forma tour could be the last, but to me there is 0% chance of it not happening.

Iím a U2 as well as admin on here but just my view. Iím not convinced they guys want to go on forever thatís all. May be wrong but they will disappear for a while after this tour.

We obviously all want the band to continue. Adam said it himself, they'll be taking a long break. 4 years is a long time to take a break. You also have to understand something else,  wife's, kids, family, friends etc, need and want attention as well. And they deserve it! And the band also deserves a break.

Singnomore, didn't say that the band isn't going to continue, what they said is that they aren't sure that they'll be another formal tour. And in all honesty, as much as I'd love a new album SOON and another TOUR SOON! I tend to agree with singnomore. Let them take their well deserved break and hopefully, we'll hear a new album in 2023, and see them in concert 2024.

They have been doing formal tours since 1979. Why would they suddenly stop now? For this band, not having another formal tour would be such a change that it would be essentially, not continuing as a band.

Age and health may come into it. I just wonder if they will move more to the model they were trying to do with the last Joshua Tree Tour where originally it was going to be 10 shows. So thatís where I could see a change in how they tour currently.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:44:34 PM by singnomore »

Moonstarsky

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 09:57:48 AM »

Age and health may come into it. I just wonder if they will move more to the model they were trying to do with the last Joshe Tree Tour where originally it was going to be 10 shows. So thatís where I could see a change in how they tour currently.

Honestly, I hope they don't do the huge stadium concerts anymore. If they do, sorry U2, NO!! I really didn't enjoy being in a huge outdoor stadium at the 360 tour. Paid $500.00 for 2 tickets plus a U2 membership so I could get those lousy tickets. Could barely see the band even on screen, and NO! NOT DOING THAT EVER AGAIN!

If it's over a 10,000 seater arena, not for me. I'd rather go to my local library and borrow a U2 dvd for free.
I'll watch it on my own big screen at home. 70,000 ppl just doesn't work for me.

Let them take their well deserved time off, regroup, and pls, forget the 70,000 ppl tours. I hope they figure out that we actually wanna be able to see them properly and hear them properly. I don't mind if It's a 10 - 20 city tour, as long as it isn't in some stadium. If we want to see them, we'll travel, if necessary.  At least if I have to travel for a show, I can turn it into a vacation and visit the sites around that city.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:22:18 AM by Moonstarsky »

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 12:06:26 AM »
I don't really understand this whole "the band needs to take some time off" argument. Aren't they musicians first and foremost? I mean, sure, take a month or two off, but most musicians I know are happiest when they're writing/recording/playing music. The rest of this tour only goes for a bit over two months - hardly arduous. If I were the band I'd take a couple of months off over Christmas/New Year. Then I'd give myself a challenge - write, record and release an album within 12 months. Then get back out on the road, STARTING WITH AUSTRALIA and do what you were born to do. Tour in 6 week stints with breaks if you really have to. But the minute these sorts of guys start to take really long breaks is the beginning of the end of them as musicians.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2018, 01:03:57 AM »
I see a lot of wishful thinking, but the one thing we all know for sure is Dublin 4 (and I'm going to D3 and D4 in GA, lucky me) is the final U2 show for a while and not making a prediction, but it could, *could* turn out to be the final U2 show ever. Cannot take it for granted that they will do the album/tour cycle after a year or so of time off. All it takes is one band member to decide they've had enough and that's it. No more U2.

Offline coolz481

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 03:30:16 AM »
But the minute these sorts of guys start to take really long breaks is the beginning of the end of them as musicians.
What do you define as a long break for U2?  They took 4.5 years between Atomic Bomb & No Line, then another 5.5 years between No Line & Songs of Innocence.  The only way we get a new album in fewer than 3 years is if they have a ton of leftover stuff from the SOI/SOE writing sessions, but I seem to remember a quote from Adam to the effect that this was the end of a cycle, so next time they get together it might be from scratch.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 08:31:09 AM »
I see a lot of wishful thinking, but the one thing we all know for sure is Dublin 4 (and I'm going to D3 and D4 in GA, lucky me) is the final U2 show for a while and not making a prediction, but it could, *could* turn out to be the final U2 show ever. Cannot take it for granted that they will do the album/tour cycle after a year or so of time off. All it takes is one band member to decide they've had enough and that's it. No more U2.

Yep.  I don't think anybody is promising or hoping this is the end of the road for them, but every tour has a greater chance of being the LAST tour than the one before it--it doesn't matter that McCartney or the Stones are still going.  Other bands, like R.E.M., aren't.  Age wins eventually.  Enjoy them while you can.  Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 10:25:28 AM »

I tend to agree with you.  I could even see U2 move to more of the residency model and playing an extended string of shows in a city like Las Vegas and have fans come to them rather than tour.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 05:51:41 PM »
IMO, there are 3 scenarios for the next tour;

1. I wouldn't expect a new U2 album anytime before Fall 2021 at the earliest.  4 years after SOE seems about right.  Then tour for that album in 2022-2023.  This is the most likely scenario to me, and the one I would most prefer.

2. An Achtung Baby 30th anniversary tour in 2021.  A Zoo TV 2.0 type of concept, adapted to the current age we live in.  While this is an interesting concept, I don't really think they'll go this way.  Although it is an obvious slam dunk for selling tickets. 

3. A 40th anniversary stadium tour in 2020-2021.  I know, they started in 1976, and released their first EP in 79, but these things aren't an exact science.  The fact that Boy came out in the fall of 1980 would be justification enough for the 40th anniversary in 2020.  Don't necessarily come out and say this is a greatest hits tour, but the implication is there enough to sell tickets.  If 2017 taught us anything, it's that nostalgia is U2's best bet if they wish to fill stadiums again, especially in the US.  I don't think this is too likely either.  But the timing of it works, and it would be a guaranteed stadium filling tour.  I'm sure somebody who makes more money than I do already is brainstorming this idea. 

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 06:47:17 PM »
The thing is, they just signed another 10 year touring contract.  So that means they may be wanting to get out there and tour, and bring in some mega bucks, before they get around to finishing the next album.  Which is why I think it's possible they'll take 2019-2020 off from touring and then do something in 2021.

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 08:16:05 PM »
But the minute these sorts of guys start to take really long breaks is the beginning of the end of them as musicians.
What do you define as a long break for U2?  They took 4.5 years between Atomic Bomb & No Line, then another 5.5 years between No Line & Songs of Innocence.  The only way we get a new album in fewer than 3 years is if they have a ton of leftover stuff from the SOI/SOE writing sessions, but I seem to remember a quote from Adam to the effect that this was the end of a cycle, so next time they get together it might be from scratch.

I'm not sure how much of that period the band was actually taking a break though. They seem to be spend astonishingly long periods of time in the studio. As I said, I'd like to seem them try something different - get an album done (from start to finish) in under a year.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2018, 10:14:16 AM »

Yep.  I don't think anybody is promising or hoping this is the end of the road for them, but every tour has a greater chance of being the LAST tour than the one before it--it doesn't matter that McCartney or the Stones are still going.  Other bands, like R.E.M., aren't.  Age wins eventually.  Enjoy them while you can.  Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Well, you could say that at any moment in the bands career. You could have said that back in 1990. R.E.M. did not stop because they could not continue. They stopped because they wanted to do other things with their life than continue with the band. It had NOTHING to do with Age. Age is just a number and declaring that someone is done or can't do something because of it is just wrong in so many ways.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2018, 10:17:09 AM »
IMO, there are 3 scenarios for the next tour;

1. I wouldn't expect a new U2 album anytime before Fall 2021 at the earliest.  4 years after SOE seems about right.  Then tour for that album in 2022-2023.  This is the most likely scenario to me, and the one I would most prefer.

2. An Achtung Baby 30th anniversary tour in 2021.  A Zoo TV 2.0 type of concept, adapted to the current age we live in.  While this is an interesting concept, I don't really think they'll go this way.  Although it is an obvious slam dunk for selling tickets. 

3. A 40th anniversary stadium tour in 2020-2021.  I know, they started in 1976, and released their first EP in 79, but these things aren't an exact science.  The fact that Boy came out in the fall of 1980 would be justification enough for the 40th anniversary in 2020.  Don't necessarily come out and say this is a greatest hits tour, but the implication is there enough to sell tickets.  If 2017 taught us anything, it's that nostalgia is U2's best bet if they wish to fill stadiums again, especially in the US.  I don't think this is too likely either.  But the timing of it works, and it would be a guaranteed stadium filling tour.  I'm sure somebody who makes more money than I do already is brainstorming this idea.

Yep, option number 1. The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 was a fluke. U2 are far more interested in creating new music than nostalgia.