Author Topic: What do you think the next tour will be like?  (Read 2449 times)

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: What do you think the next tour will be like?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2018, 10:19:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm not sure there will be another formal tour

Really,? Iím more shocked an admin is saying this. I think the next forma tour could be the last, but to me there is 0% chance of it not happening.

Iím a U2 as well as admin on here but just my view. Iím not convinced they guys want to go on forever thatís all. May be wrong but they will disappear for a while after this tour.

We obviously all want the band to continue. Adam said it himself, they'll be taking a long break. 4 years is a long time to take a break. You also have to understand something else,  wife's, kids, family, friends etc, need and want attention as well. And they deserve it! And the band also deserves a break.

Singnomore, didn't say that the band isn't going to continue, what they said is that they aren't sure that they'll be another formal tour. And in all honesty, as much as I'd love a new album SOON and another TOUR SOON! I tend to agree with singnomore. Let them take their well deserved break and hopefully, we'll hear a new album in 2023, and see them in concert 2024.

Till a formal announcement is made, all we're doing is speculating.

They have been doing formal tours since 1979. Why would they suddenly stop now? For this band, not having another formal tour would be such a change that it would be essentially, not continuing as a band.

Age and health may come into it. I just wonder if they will move more to the model they were trying to do with the last Joshe Tree Tour where originally it was going to be 10 shows. So thatís where I could see a change in how they tour currently.

Honestly, I hope they don't do the huge stadium concerts anymore. If they do, sorry U2, NO!! I really didn't enjoy being in a huge outdoor stadium at the 360 tour. Paid $500.00 for 2 tickets plus a U2 membership so I could get those lousy tickets. Could barely see the band even on screen, and NO! NOT DOING THAT EVER AGAIN!

If it's over a 10,000 seater arena, not for me. I'd rather go to my local library and borrow a U2 dvd for free.
I'll watch it on my own big screen at home. 70,000 ppl just doesn't work for me.

Let them take their well deserved time off, regroup, and pls, forget the 70,000 ppl tours. I hope they figure out that we actually wanna be able to see them properly and hear them properly. I don't mind if It's a 10 - 20 city tour, as long as it isn't in some stadium. If we want to see them, we'll travel, if necessary.  At least if I have to travel for a show, I can turn it into a vacation and visit the sites around that city.

You do realize that some of U2's greatest concerts have been in stadiums. What is most important is the music and how it sounds, rather than if your close enough for Bono to spit on you. I saw the 360 tour 3 times. I did General Admission each time. A $75 dollar ticket and I was in the inner circle each time about 10 meters from the stage. My friends and I agree as far as stage set up, it is the best thing they have ever done.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 10:22:25 AM »

Really,? Iím more shocked an admin is saying this. I think the next forma tour could be the last, but to me there is 0% chance of it not happening.

Iím a U2 as well as admin on here but just my view. Iím not convinced they guys want to go on forever thatís all. May be wrong but they will disappear for a while after this tour.

We obviously all want the band to continue. Adam said it himself, they'll be taking a long break. 4 years is a long time to take a break. You also have to understand something else,  wife's, kids, family, friends etc, need and want attention as well. And they deserve it! And the band also deserves a break.

Singnomore, didn't say that the band isn't going to continue, what they said is that they aren't sure that they'll be another formal tour. And in all honesty, as much as I'd love a new album SOON and another TOUR SOON! I tend to agree with singnomore. Let them take their well deserved break and hopefully, we'll hear a new album in 2023, and see them in concert 2024.

They have been doing formal tours since 1979. Why would they suddenly stop now? For this band, not having another formal tour would be such a change that it would be essentially, not continuing as a band.

Age and health may come into it. I just wonder if they will move more to the model they were trying to do with the last Joshua Tree Tour where originally it was going to be 10 shows. So thatís where I could see a change in how they tour currently.

Well, health could be a factor at any time in a persons life. But 58 is NOT old. The band have been on fire this tour and seem just as energetic when I saw them for the first time back in 1992. Once again proving that age is just a number. B.B. King was still doing 100 shows a year at age 88!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 10:30:00 AM »
I see a lot of wishful thinking, but the one thing we all know for sure is Dublin 4 (and I'm going to D3 and D4 in GA, lucky me) is the final U2 show for a while and not making a prediction, but it could, *could* turn out to be the final U2 show ever. Cannot take it for granted that they will do the album/tour cycle after a year or so of time off. All it takes is one band member to decide they've had enough and that's it. No more U2.

Yep.  I don't think anybody is promising or hoping this is the end of the road for them, but every tour has a greater chance of being the LAST tour than the one before it--it doesn't matter that McCartney or the Stones are still going.  Other bands, like R.E.M., aren't.  Age wins eventually.  Enjoy them while you can.  Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Well, you could say that at any moment in the bands career. You could have said that back in 1990. R.E.M. did not stop because they could not continue. They stopped because they wanted to do other things with their life than continue with the band. It had NOTHING to do with Age. Age is just a number and declaring that someone is done or can't do something because of it is just wrong in so many ways.

Yes, you could.  And the likelihood that lack of interest/ability, serious health issues or, you know, DEATH, might actively impede a band's chance of continuing to tour only increases with age.  Age, in this scenario, isn't just a number--it's a statistic that only ever increases.  Nobody thought Tom Petty's last tour was his last at the time.  Nor Prince's.  Nor David Bowie's, and he quit touring 10 years before he left this reality.

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2018, 11:50:21 AM »

Age and health may come into it. I just wonder if they will move more to the model they were trying to do with the last Joshua Tree Tour where originally it was going to be 10 shows. So thatís where I could see a change in how they tour currently.

Well, health could be a factor at any time in a persons life. But 58 is NOT old. The band have been on fire this tour and seem just as energetic when I saw them for the first time back in 1992. Once again proving that age is just a number. B.B. King was still doing 100 shows a year at age 88!

You keep referencing BB King.  You do realize BB King is an outlier, right?

Yes, anything is possible but the law of averages does apply.  I feel like U2ís chemistry is such that if one member canít go on, they will not continue as U2 with a replacement.  If so, it only takes one of the four to disrupt things.  So its not one person still touring at 88, its four.  Even less likely.

Iím not saying theyíre at the end.  Iím just saying every year that goes by there is a higher probability the next tour could be the last.

Because drumming is very physical and takes a toll, its sometimes the drummer that cries uncle first to long full blown tours.  This is what happened to Rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2018, 02:10:15 PM »
I see a lot of wishful thinking, but the one thing we all know for sure is Dublin 4 (and I'm going to D3 and D4 in GA, lucky me) is the final U2 show for a while and not making a prediction, but it could, *could* turn out to be the final U2 show ever. Cannot take it for granted that they will do the album/tour cycle after a year or so of time off. All it takes is one band member to decide they've had enough and that's it. No more U2.

Yep.  I don't think anybody is promising or hoping this is the end of the road for them, but every tour has a greater chance of being the LAST tour than the one before it--it doesn't matter that McCartney or the Stones are still going.  Other bands, like R.E.M., aren't.  Age wins eventually.  Enjoy them while you can.  Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Well, you could say that at any moment in the bands career. You could have said that back in 1990. R.E.M. did not stop because they could not continue. They stopped because they wanted to do other things with their life than continue with the band. It had NOTHING to do with Age. Age is just a number and declaring that someone is done or can't do something because of it is just wrong in so many ways.

Yes, you could.  And the likelihood that lack of interest/ability, serious health issues or, you know, DEATH, might actively impede a band's chance of continuing to tour only increases with age.  Age, in this scenario, isn't just a number--it's a statistic that only ever increases.  Nobody thought Tom Petty's last tour was his last at the time.  Nor Prince's.  Nor David Bowie's, and he quit touring 10 years before he left this reality.

Being age 58 does not equate to being nearly dead or elderly! You and others are engaging in AGEISM! Its a form of DISCRIMINATION engaged in by the ignorant. Tom Petty and Princes deaths involved the misuse of drugs, NOT age.

The members of U2 as seen on stage this year are in far better shape than most of their fans who are on average 10 or 15 years younger. The band stands and energetically  plays for over two hours, while thousands of their fans sit on their asses. If anyone needs a fork to be stuck in them, its not the band, but some of their fans!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:12:18 PM by wons »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2018, 02:29:21 PM »

Not really. Do you want me to start listing all the music artist that are older than U2 that are still active? Its a massive list actually. B.B. King was over weight and had diabetes and he STILL was on the road at age 88! Notice, none of the members of U2 or overweight or are known to have diabetes. They get the best medical care money can buy. They are in better shape than most of their fans, especially the thousands of fans that sat on their asses. Its NOT age that matters, its FITNESS level, health! I'd say the bands longevity outlook is better than the bands average fan who is about 10 or 15 years younger.

Yes, anything is possible but the law of averages does apply. 

Nope, its not the law of averages, its individual health and fitness. The band is in better shape than the average fan that is 10 to 15 years younger that actually goes to the concert.

I feel like U2ís chemistry is such that if one member canít go on, they will not continue as U2 with a replacement.  If so, it only takes one of the four to disrupt things.  So its not one person still touring at 88, its four.  Even less likely.

Bono, Larry, and Edge have already stated the band could easily continue if someone was not in it anymore. The band is NOT 88, they are 58 and any discussion of them being unable to continue because their 58 is AGEISM which is discrimination.

Iím not saying theyíre at the end.  Iím just saying every year that goes by there is a higher probability the next tour could be the last.

Because drumming is very physical and takes a toll, its sometimes the drummer that cries uncle first to long full blown tours.  This is what happened to Rush.

Look at Charlie Watts, 77 and doing Stadium shows in front of up to 95,000 people this past summer.

Tell you what, if your trying to stick a fork in someone, why not start with those fans that are sitting down FIRST, before you try and take down someone who is obviously proven to be healthier and more fit than these fans sitting on their asses!

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »

Not really. Do you want me to start listing all the music artist that are older than U2 that are still active? Its a massive list actually. B.B. King was over weight and had diabetes and he STILL was on the road at age 88! Notice, none of the members of U2 or overweight or are known to have diabetes. They get the best medical care money can buy. They are in better shape than most of their fans, especially the thousands of fans that sat on their asses. Its NOT age that matters, its FITNESS level, health! I'd say the bands longevity outlook is better than the bands average fan who is about 10 or 15 years younger.

Nope, its not the law of averages, its individual health and fitness. The band is in better shape than the average fan that is 10 to 15 years younger that actually goes to the concert.

I feel like U2ís chemistry is such that if one member canít go on, they will not continue as U2 with a replacement.  If so, it only takes one of the four to disrupt things.  So its not one person still touring at 88, its four.  Even less likely.

Bono, Larry, and Edge have already stated the band could easily continue if someone was not in it anymore. The band is NOT 88, they are 58 and any discussion of them being unable to continue because their 58 is AGEISM which is discrimination.

Look at Charlie Watts, 77 and doing Stadium shows in front of up to 95,000 people this past summer.

Tell you what, if your trying to stick a fork in someone, why not start with those fans that are sitting down FIRST, before you try and take down someone who is obviously proven to be healthier and more fit than these fans sitting on their asses!

How about we stick a fork in this discussion cause it just went silly.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2018, 04:10:42 PM »
Yes, please close this ageist thread.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2018, 04:41:51 PM »
When they say that U2 are planning to take a long break after this tour, I take that to mean that they are probably going to take 2019 off for the most part, aside from a few band meetings and maybe a little bit of messing around in the studio.  I predict it will be a year like 2007 or 2012, where the band essentially disappears off the radar entirely. 

2020 comes and they'll start working on new material in earnest.  I predict they will acknowledge the 40th Anniversary of Boy in some sort of public way, rather that means a few shows or some kind of a reissue. 

2021 they'll continue to work on the album, with the goal of getting it out by the end of the year.  They will probably fall short of that goal, and we won't get the next album/tour until 2022.  They'll be 61-62 at that point.  61 is not old.  My Dad is 61, and he is still pretty much the same person he was 10-20 years ago.  As long as they take care of themselves, and are lucky in health, there's no reason why they won't be able to perform at the same level they are now in 4 years. 

At least that's the way I'd like to see it go down! 

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »
Also, they can still do an Achtung Baby 30th anniversary tour in 2021 and simultaneously work on the new album, and still put it out and tour for it in 2022.  If that's something that they want to do.

I don't think they should do that, but if 2017 taught us anything, it's that NOSTALGIA SELLS.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 06:32:49 PM »

Being age 58 does not equate to being nearly dead or elderly! You and others are engaging in AGEISM! Its a form of DISCRIMINATION engaged in by the ignorant. Tom Petty and Princes deaths involved the misuse of drugs, NOT age.

The members of U2 as seen on stage this year are in far better shape than most of their fans who are on average 10 or 15 years younger. The band stands and energetically  plays for over two hours, while thousands of their fans sit on their asses. If anyone needs a fork to be stuck in them, its not the band, but some of their fans!

Calm down, Francis. Proving once more why I should know better than to engage in conversation with you.

Moonstarsky

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 06:39:17 PM »
Replying to wons
You do realize that some of U2's greatest concerts have been in stadiums. What is most important is the music and how it sounds, rather than if your close enough for Bono to spit on you. I saw the 360 tour 3 times. I did General Admission each time. A $75 dollar ticket and I was in the inner circle each time about 10 meters from the stage. My friends and I agree as far as stage set up, it is the best thing they have ever done.

I'm very happy you and your friends had a great wonderful time! Good for you! I have had the privilege of being front row in GA stadium concerts many times including U2, 3rd row for the actually Pink Floyd and many more. It was an incredible experience in my teens 20's 30's and even 40's. I was in GA at concert just last night, towards the middle-back in a much smaller venue, and sang and danced all night.

It's my personal taste that I prefer smaller venues, and don't want to be in a stadium with 70,000 ppl. I couldn't get GA seats for 360, and didn't enjoy my very obstructed view.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 07:00:46 PM by Moonstarsky »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 10:05:12 PM »

Calm down, Francis. Proving once more why I should know better than to engage in conversation with you.

Ageism is discrimination. Pointing it out is not silly. Name calling is silly, though!

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 10:08:43 PM »
Replying to wons

I'm very happy you and your friends had a great wonderful time! Good for you! I have had the privilege of being front row in GA stadium concerts many times including U2, 3rd row for the actually Pink Floyd and many more. It was an incredible experience in my teens 20's 30's and even 40's. I was in GA at concert just last night, towards the middle-back in a much smaller venue, and sang and danced all night.

It's my personal taste that I prefer smaller venues, and don't want to be in a stadium with 70,000 ppl. I couldn't get GA seats for 360, and didn't enjoy my very obstructed view.

Any U2.com member could get GA for 360. That's really all it took. It was so much easier to get GA for the stadium show than for the arena show because of the number of GA tickets available is about 5 times greater. For the recent JT tour 2017, they even had problems selling out the field in some cities. Getting GA for stadium U2 shows is getting easier.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 10:21:30 PM »

How about we stick a fork in this discussion cause it just went silly.

Who do you think is in better physical condition, the band, or the average fan at their shows? What is a better sign of health, sitting on your ass for two hours, or running, jumping, walking, playing and singing on a stage for two hours? Are any of the members of U2 over weight or obese? Nope! How about most fans in the arena who are mainly between the ages of 41 to 55?

The band exibit better health and fitness than the average fan that comes to see them despite the fact that average fan is 12 years younger than them.

So the concern should not actually be with the band. It should be with their fans. Half of the fans are sitting down now. What will it be like in four years? The next stage after sitting down for the whole show is not going to the show at all. Dwindling turn out and low or unresponsive crowds is a bigger threat to U2 continuing than the bands age given the band are in good condition, or in fact excellent condition when compared to the average fan that comes to see them.