Author Topic: What do you think the next tour will be like?  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
Re: What do you think the next tour will be like?
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2018, 11:23:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm not sure there will be another formal tour

Really,? Iím more shocked an admin is saying this. I think the next forma tour could be the last, but to me there is 0% chance of it not happening.

Iím a U2 as well as admin on here but just my view. Iím not convinced they guys want to go on forever thatís all. May be wrong but they will disappear for a while after this tour.

We obviously all want the band to continue. Adam said it himself, they'll be taking a long break. 4 years is a long time to take a break. You also have to understand something else,  wife's, kids, family, friends etc, need and want attention as well. And they deserve it! And the band also deserves a break.

Singnomore, didn't say that the band isn't going to continue, what they said is that they aren't sure that they'll be another formal tour. And in all honesty, as much as I'd love a new album SOON and another TOUR SOON! I tend to agree with singnomore. Let them take their well deserved break and hopefully, we'll hear a new album in 2023, and see them in concert 2024.

Till a formal announcement is made, all we're doing is speculating.

They have been doing formal tours since 1979. Why would they suddenly stop now? For this band, not having another formal tour would be such a change that it would be essentially, not continuing as a band.

Age and health may come into it. I just wonder if they will move more to the model they were trying to do with the last Joshua Tree Tour where originally it was going to be 10 shows. So thatís where I could see a change in how they tour currently.

Well, health could be a factor at any time in a persons life. But 58 is NOT old. The band have been on fire this tour and seem just as energetic when I saw them for the first time back in 1992. Once again proving that age is just a number. B.B. King was still doing 100 shows a year at age 88!

You keep referencing BB King.  You do realize BB King is an outlier, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really. Do you want me to start listing all the music artist that are older than U2 that are still active? Its a massive list actually. B.B. King was over weight and had diabetes and he STILL was on the road at age 88! Notice, none of the members of U2 or overweight or are known to have diabetes. They get the best medical care money can buy. They are in better shape than most of their fans, especially the thousands of fans that sat on their asses. Its NOT age that matters, its FITNESS level, health! I'd say the bands longevity outlook is better than the bands average fan who is about 10 or 15 years younger.

Yes, anything is possible but the law of averages does apply. 

Nope, its not the law of averages, its individual health and fitness. The band is in better shape than the average fan that is 10 to 15 years younger that actually goes to the concert.

I feel like U2ís chemistry is such that if one member canít go on, they will not continue as U2 with a replacement.  If so, it only takes one of the four to disrupt things.  So its not one person still touring at 88, its four.  Even less likely.

Bono, Larry, and Edge have already stated the band could easily continue if someone was not in it anymore. The band is NOT 88, they are 58 and any discussion of them being unable to continue because their 58 is AGEISM which is discrimination.

Iím not saying theyíre at the end.  Iím just saying every year that goes by there is a higher probability the next tour could be the last.

Because drumming is very physical and takes a toll, its sometimes the drummer that cries uncle first to long full blown tours.  This is what happened to Rush.

Look at Charlie Watts, 77 and doing Stadium shows in front of up to 95,000 people this past summer.

Tell you what, if your trying to stick a fork in someone, why not start with those fans that are sitting down FIRST, before you try and take down someone who is obviously proven to be healthier and more fit than these fans sitting on their asses!

How about we stick a fork in this discussion cause it just went silly.

Who do you think is in better physical condition, the band, or the average fan at their shows? What is a better sign of health, sitting on your ass for two hours, or running, jumping, walking, playing and singing on a stage for two hours? Are any of the members of U2 over weight or obese? Nope! How about most fans in the arena who are mainly between the ages of 41 to 55?

The band exibit better health and fitness than the average fan that comes to see them despite the fact that average fan is 12 years younger than them.

So the concern should not actually be with the band. It should be with their fans. Half of the fans are sitting down now. What will it be like in four years? The next stage after sitting down for the whole show is not going to the show at all. Dwindling turn out and low or unresponsive crowds is a bigger threat to U2 continuing than the bands age given the band are in good condition, or in fact excellent condition when compared to the average fan that comes to see them.

A ZOO TV Redux show would bring the fans out. But hopefully, if the band has learned anything from this E+I tour it's that the numbers seriously drop off if you don't play the hits.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2018, 02:05:03 AM »
I'm not sure there will be another formal tour

Really,? Iím more shocked an admin is saying this. I think the next forma tour could be the last, but to me there is 0% chance of it not happening.

Iím a U2 as well as admin on here but just my view. Iím not convinced they guys want to go on forever thatís all. May be wrong but they will disappear for a while after this tour.

We obviously all want the band to continue. Adam said it himself, they'll be taking a long break. 4 years is a long time to take a break. You also have to understand something else,  wife's, kids, family, friends etc, need and want attention as well. And they deserve it! And the band also deserves a break.

Singnomore, didn't say that the band isn't going to continue, what they said is that they aren't sure that they'll be another formal tour. And in all honesty, as much as I'd love a new album SOON and another TOUR SOON! I tend to agree with singnomore. Let them take their well deserved break and hopefully, we'll hear a new album in 2023, and see them in concert 2024.

Till a formal announcement is made, all we're doing is speculating.

They have been doing formal tours since 1979. Why would they suddenly stop now? For this band, not having another formal tour would be such a change that it would be essentially, not continuing as a band.

Age and health may come into it. I just wonder if they will move more to the model they were trying to do with the last Joshua Tree Tour where originally it was going to be 10 shows. So thatís where I could see a change in how they tour currently.

Well, health could be a factor at any time in a persons life. But 58 is NOT old. The band have been on fire this tour and seem just as energetic when I saw them for the first time back in 1992. Once again proving that age is just a number. B.B. King was still doing 100 shows a year at age 88!

You keep referencing BB King.  You do realize BB King is an outlier, right?

Not really. Do you want me to start listing all the music artist that are older than U2 that are still active? Its a massive list actually. B.B. King was over weight and had diabetes and he STILL was on the road at age 88! Notice, none of the members of U2 or overweight or are known to have diabetes. They get the best medical care money can buy. They are in better shape than most of their fans, especially the thousands of fans that sat on their asses. Its NOT age that matters, its FITNESS level, health! I'd say the bands longevity outlook is better than the bands average fan who is about 10 or 15 years younger.

Yes, anything is possible but the law of averages does apply. 

Nope, its not the law of averages, its individual health and fitness. The band is in better shape than the average fan that is 10 to 15 years younger that actually goes to the concert.

I feel like U2ís chemistry is such that if one member canít go on, they will not continue as U2 with a replacement.  If so, it only takes one of the four to disrupt things.  So its not one person still touring at 88, its four.  Even less likely.

Bono, Larry, and Edge have already stated the band could easily continue if someone was not in it anymore. The band is NOT 88, they are 58 and any discussion of them being unable to continue because their 58 is AGEISM which is discrimination.

Iím not saying theyíre at the end.  Iím just saying every year that goes by there is a higher probability the next tour could be the last.

Because drumming is very physical and takes a toll, its sometimes the drummer that cries uncle first to long full blown tours.  This is what happened to Rush.

Look at Charlie Watts, 77 and doing Stadium shows in front of up to 95,000 people this past summer.

Tell you what, if your trying to stick a fork in someone, why not start with those fans that are sitting down FIRST, before you try and take down someone who is obviously proven to be healthier and more fit than these fans sitting on their asses!

How about we stick a fork in this discussion cause it just went silly.

Who do you think is in better physical condition, the band, or the average fan at their shows? What is a better sign of health, sitting on your ass for two hours, or running, jumping, walking, playing and singing on a stage for two hours? Are any of the members of U2 over weight or obese? Nope! How about most fans in the arena who are mainly between the ages of 41 to 55?

The band exibit better health and fitness than the average fan that comes to see them despite the fact that average fan is 12 years younger than them.

So the concern should not actually be with the band. It should be with their fans. Half of the fans are sitting down now. What will it be like in four years? The next stage after sitting down for the whole show is not going to the show at all. Dwindling turn out and low or unresponsive crowds is a bigger threat to U2 continuing than the bands age given the band are in good condition, or in fact excellent condition when compared to the average fan that comes to see them.

A ZOO TV Redux show would bring the fans out. But hopefully, if the band has learned anything from this E+I tour it's that the numbers seriously drop off if you don't play the hits.

I donít think that really matters. The band didnít give a definite no hits before the tour- they just alluded to less JT. The EI wasnít advertised as exclusively new material. and they are doing hits this tour.

Moonstarsky

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2018, 04:27:09 AM »
Replying to wons
You do realize that some of U2's greatest concerts have been in stadiums. What is most important is the music and how it sounds, rather than if your close enough for Bono to spit on you. I saw the 360 tour 3 times. I did General Admission each time. A $75 dollar ticket and I was in the inner circle each time about 10 meters from the stage. My friends and I agree as far as stage set up, it is the best thing they have ever done.

I'm very happy you and your friends had a great wonderful time! Good for you! I have had the privilege of being front row in GA stadium concerts many times including U2, 3rd row for the actually Pink Floyd and many more. It was an incredible experience in my teens 20's 30's and even 40's. I was in GA at concert just last night, towards the middle-back in a much smaller venue, and sang and danced all night.

It's my personal taste that I prefer smaller venues, and don't want to be in a stadium with 70,000 ppl. I couldn't get GA seats for 360, and didn't enjoy my very obstructed view.

Any U2.com member could get GA for 360. That's really all it took. It was so much easier to get GA for the stadium show than for the arena show because of the number of GA tickets available is about 5 times greater. For the recent JT tour 2017, they even had problems selling out the field in some cities. Getting GA for stadium U2 shows is getting easier.

I was a member of U2.com at that time. Buying tickets at that time went by how long you were a paid member. Since I was only a paid member for 12 months, I got the presale #'s one day before, hence others had it 2/3/&4 days before. Nothing but lousy seats left when it was my turn. 

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2018, 05:52:42 AM »
I see a lot of wishful thinking, but the one thing we all know for sure is Dublin 4 (and I'm going to D3 and D4 in GA, lucky me) is the final U2 show for a while and not making a prediction, but it could, *could* turn out to be the final U2 show ever. Cannot take it for granted that they will do the album/tour cycle after a year or so of time off. All it takes is one band member to decide they've had enough and that's it. No more U2.

Yep.  I don't think anybody is promising or hoping this is the end of the road for them, but every tour has a greater chance of being the LAST tour than the one before it--it doesn't matter that McCartney or the Stones are still going.  Other bands, like R.E.M., aren't.  Age wins eventually.  Enjoy them while you can.  Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Well, you could say that at any moment in the bands career. You could have said that back in 1990. R.E.M. did not stop because they could not continue. They stopped because they wanted to do other things with their life than continue with the band. It had NOTHING to do with Age. Age is just a number and declaring that someone is done or can't do something because of it is just wrong in so many ways.

Yes, you could.  And the likelihood that lack of interest/ability, serious health issues or, you know, DEATH, might actively impede a band's chance of continuing to tour only increases with age.  Age, in this scenario, isn't just a number--it's a statistic that only ever increases.  Nobody thought Tom Petty's last tour was his last at the time.  Nor Prince's.  Nor David Bowie's, and he quit touring 10 years before he left this reality.

Being age 58 does not equate to being nearly dead or elderly! You and others are engaging in AGEISM! Its a form of DISCRIMINATION engaged in by the ignorant. Tom Petty and Princes deaths involved the misuse of drugs, NOT age.

The members of U2 as seen on stage this year are in far better shape than most of their fans who are on average 10 or 15 years younger. The band stands and energetically  plays for over two hours, while thousands of their fans sit on their asses. If anyone needs a fork to be stuck in them, its not the band, but some of their fans!

Calm down, Francis. Proving once more why I should know better than to engage in conversation with you.

Ageism is discrimination. Pointing it out is not silly. Name calling is silly, though!

Whatís silly is shouting down any thought you donít like. Youíll keep doing it, though, Iím sure of that.

I would point out that stating a fact like ďall bands eventually end, and nobodyís future is guaranteedĒ has nothing to do with ďageismĒ or ďdiscriminationĒ, but again...any such conversation with you has proven, over and over, to be pointless. Not to mention the fact Iím literally in no position to be ďageistĒ or discriminatory with some rock band. I donít hire them. But, once again, someone says something you donít like, and itís shouted down or dragged into endless, pointless nit-picking. As if any one band playing music in their 70ís is proof that therefore all bands can, should, or will. As if there is anything to argue about when I say ďenjoy them now, you never know when the end may happen.Ē

Itís really too bad youíve monopolized so much of the forum, dragging it down to your level of discourse. I remember having some thoughtful, intelligent conversations on here. Not as much, these days.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2018, 12:14:32 PM »
I see a lot of wishful thinking, but the one thing we all know for sure is Dublin 4 (and I'm going to D3 and D4 in GA, lucky me) is the final U2 show for a while and not making a prediction, but it could, *could* turn out to be the final U2 show ever. Cannot take it for granted that they will do the album/tour cycle after a year or so of time off. All it takes is one band member to decide they've had enough and that's it. No more U2.

Yep.  I don't think anybody is promising or hoping this is the end of the road for them, but every tour has a greater chance of being the LAST tour than the one before it--it doesn't matter that McCartney or the Stones are still going.  Other bands, like R.E.M., aren't.  Age wins eventually.  Enjoy them while you can.  Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Well, you could say that at any moment in the bands career. You could have said that back in 1990. R.E.M. did not stop because they could not continue. They stopped because they wanted to do other things with their life than continue with the band. It had NOTHING to do with Age. Age is just a number and declaring that someone is done or can't do something because of it is just wrong in so many ways.

Yes, you could.  And the likelihood that lack of interest/ability, serious health issues or, you know, DEATH, might actively impede a band's chance of continuing to tour only increases with age.  Age, in this scenario, isn't just a number--it's a statistic that only ever increases.  Nobody thought Tom Petty's last tour was his last at the time.  Nor Prince's.  Nor David Bowie's, and he quit touring 10 years before he left this reality.

Being age 58 does not equate to being nearly dead or elderly! You and others are engaging in AGEISM! Its a form of DISCRIMINATION engaged in by the ignorant. Tom Petty and Princes deaths involved the misuse of drugs, NOT age.

The members of U2 as seen on stage this year are in far better shape than most of their fans who are on average 10 or 15 years younger. The band stands and energetically  plays for over two hours, while thousands of their fans sit on their asses. If anyone needs a fork to be stuck in them, its not the band, but some of their fans!

Calm down, Francis. Proving once more why I should know better than to engage in conversation with you.

Ageism is discrimination. Pointing it out is not silly. Name calling is silly, though!

Whatís silly is shouting down any thought you donít like. Youíll keep doing it, though, Iím sure of that.

I would point out that stating a fact like ďall bands eventually end, and nobodyís future is guaranteedĒ has nothing to do with ďageismĒ or ďdiscriminationĒ, but again...any such conversation with you has proven, over and over, to be pointless. Not to mention the fact Iím literally in no position to be ďageistĒ or discriminatory with some rock band. I donít hire them. But, once again, someone says something you donít like, and itís shouted down or dragged into endless, pointless nit-picking. As if any one band playing music in their 70ís is proof that therefore all bands can, should, or will. As if there is anything to argue about when I say ďenjoy them now, you never know when the end may happen.Ē

Itís really too bad youíve monopolized so much of the forum, dragging it down to your level of discourse. I remember having some thoughtful, intelligent conversations on here. Not as much, these days.

Wons does not have the power to shout you down ó or anyone else. Your posts are just as visible as his. Everyone can read them all and decide for themselves who is making the more valid points. If you feel his arguments have degenerated into pointless nit-picking, you donít have to continue to engage with him.

One person cannot monopolize the forum either. Wons does post a lot, but he cannot prevent you from posting, or stop anyone from agreeing with you.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2018, 12:22:56 PM »
Replying to wons
You do realize that some of U2's greatest concerts have been in stadiums. What is most important is the music and how it sounds, rather than if your close enough for Bono to spit on you. I saw the 360 tour 3 times. I did General Admission each time. A $75 dollar ticket and I was in the inner circle each time about 10 meters from the stage. My friends and I agree as far as stage set up, it is the best thing they have ever done.

I'm very happy you and your friends had a great wonderful time! Good for you! I have had the privilege of being front row in GA stadium concerts many times including U2, 3rd row for the actually Pink Floyd and many more. It was an incredible experience in my teens 20's 30's and even 40's. I was in GA at concert just last night, towards the middle-back in a much smaller venue, and sang and danced all night.

It's my personal taste that I prefer smaller venues, and don't want to be in a stadium with 70,000 ppl. I couldn't get GA seats for 360, and didn't enjoy my very obstructed view.

Any U2.com member could get GA for 360. That's really all it took. It was so much easier to get GA for the stadium show than for the arena show because of the number of GA tickets available is about 5 times greater. For the recent JT tour 2017, they even had problems selling out the field in some cities. Getting GA for stadium U2 shows is getting easier.

I was a member of U2.com at that time. Buying tickets at that time went by how long you were a paid member. Since I was only a paid member for 12 months, I got the presale #'s one day before, hence others had it 2/3/&4 days before. Nothing but lousy seats left when it was my turn.

I sorry to hear that. Another option would have been to go through a ticket broker. You would pay a little extra but not much since GA tickets were not in as high demand since there were so many of them in the stadiums. I'm a paid up member since the start of U2.com and with the exception of the Vertigo Tour in 2005, getting GA tickets through U2.com has been easy.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2018, 12:36:39 PM »

If you understand and respect not saying things that equate to sexism and racism, then you should be sensitive about ageism as well.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
What do you think the next tour will be like?
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2018, 12:42:54 PM »

If you understand and respect not saying things that equate to sexism and racism, then you should be sensitive about ageism as well.

Another thread derailed and shut down by wons. Iím done arguing with halfwits. Thread is yours.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:51:23 PM by Johnny Feathers »

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
Guys - this is so off track. Discuss and debate yes but donít be d***s in the process (as our rules say)

This is aimed at all - some more than others. If it doesnít improve I will shut the thread
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:31:57 PM by singnomore »

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2018, 03:40:43 PM »
What do you define as a long break for U2?  They took 4.5 years between Atomic Bomb & No Line, then another 5.5 years between No Line & Songs of Innocence.  The only way we get a new album in fewer than 3 years is if they have a ton of leftover stuff from the SOI/SOE writing sessions, but I seem to remember a quote from Adam to the effect that this was the end of a cycle, so next time they get together it might be from scratch.

I suspect this is correct (though I wish it wasn't). It will be several years before they release another album and they probably won't tour again till after that. But barring a major health crisis, I'm sure they will tour again.

We are lucky to have gotten so much touring over the past few years. I think that was a fluke.

As to what the next show will be like -- who knows? It might be a bit more stripped down, or it might not. But as they've said more than once, they now use technology to help them reach into the audience, instead of actually diving into the crowd or climbing the scaffolding like Bono did in the early days.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 05:43:47 PM by Luzita »

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2018, 04:41:56 PM »
We are lucky to have gotten so much touring over the past few years. I think that was a fluke.
By "we", you mean North America. The rest of the world has barely had any touring from U2 lately. It's been eight years since they toured Australia. 

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2018, 05:55:19 PM »
By "we", you mean North America. The rest of the world has barely had any touring from U2 lately. It's been eight years since they toured Australia.
Iím sorry for Australia / New Zealand, that sucks. But it isnít just North America that theyíve visited, itís also Europe and South America.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:02:15 PM by Luzita »

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2018, 09:48:49 PM »

I agree. This is a much bigger issue with their touring than their ages. They need to do a worldwide tour again, not another North American/European-focused LiveNation-serving tour.

Moonstarsky

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2018, 05:14:24 AM »
Replying to wons

I sorry to hear that. Another option would have been to go through a ticket broker. You would pay a little extra but not much since GA tickets were not in as high demand since there were so many of them in the stadiums. I'm a paid up member since the start of U2.com and with the exception of the Vertigo Tour in 2005, getting GA tickets through U2.com has been easy.

No, it would cost to much. And I haven't renewed my membership either, but don't be surprised if you get a pm from me someday asking you to get me a couple of tickets!  ;)

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2018, 09:00:38 AM »

I agree. This is a much bigger issue with their touring than their ages. They need to do a worldwide tour again, not another North American/European-focused LiveNation-serving tour.
They have done South America as well. That leaves Australasia/Japan as the only major region they havenít visited in a while.

Do you think Live Nation is why? Because itís expensive to go there?

Or when you say worldwide tour, are you talking about a marathon tour that goes on for years and has a gazillion dates? I think their age might interfere with them doing that kind of tour again.