Author Topic: What do you think the next tour will be like?  (Read 2448 times)

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: What do you think the next tour will be like?
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2018, 09:34:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We are lucky to have gotten so much touring over the past few years. I think that was a fluke.
By "we", you mean North America. The rest of the world has barely had any touring from U2 lately. It's been eight years since they toured Australia. 

I agree. This is a much bigger issue with their touring than their ages. They need to do a worldwide tour again, not another North American/European-focused LiveNation-serving tour.
They have done South America as well. That leaves Australasia/Japan as the only major region they havenít visited in a while.

Do you think Live Nation is why? Because itís expensive to go there?

Or when you say worldwide tour, are you talking about a marathon tour that goes on for years and has a gazillion dates? I think their age might interfere with them doing that kind of tour again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, when the current leg of the E&I tour ends in November 2018, they will have completed 186 shows in the space of 3.5 years, from May 14, 2015 to November 10, 2018. The last time U2 did that many shows or more in a 3.5 year span was from mid 1984 through the end of 1987 when they did 223 shows on the Unforgettable Fire And Joshua Tree tours.

So large numbers of shows don't appear to be putting a big strain on them. Garth Brooks is the same age as U2 and just did 390 shows in the space of 3 years and 4 months.  The Rolling Stones launched their A Bigger Bang Tour in 2005 when Mick Jagger was 62 and Keith Richards was 62. That tour went on for two years and did 147 shows all over the world. So their age is not an issue.

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2018, 09:42:23 AM »
We are lucky to have gotten so much touring over the past few years. I think that was a fluke.
By "we", you mean North America. The rest of the world has barely had any touring from U2 lately. It's been eight years since they toured Australia. 

I agree. This is a much bigger issue with their touring than their ages. They need to do a worldwide tour again, not another North American/European-focused LiveNation-serving tour.
They have done South America as well. That leaves Australasia/Japan as the only major region they havenít visited in a while.

Or when you say worldwide tour, are you talking about a marathon tour that goes on for years and has a gazillion dates? I think their age might interfere with them doing that kind of tour again.

Well, when the current leg of the E&I tour ends in November 2018, they will have completed 186 shows in the space of 3.5 years, from May 14, 2015 to November 10, 2018. The last time U2 did that many shows or more in a 3.5 year span was from mid 1984 through the end of 1987 when they did 223 shows on the Unforgettable Fire And Joshua Tree tours.

So large numbers of shows don't appear to be putting a big strain on them. Garth Brooks is the same age as U2 and just did 390 shows in the space of 3 years and 4 months.  The Rolling Stones launched their A Bigger Bang Tour in 2005 when Mick Jagger was 62 and Keith Richards was 62. That tour went on for two years and did 147 shows all over the world. So their age is not an issue.

Yeah we get it. Their age is not an issue and they are going to play till theyíre 120.  Problem solved.  Thanks for putting us all at ease.

With regard to their touring future, I would like to see them take a break and spend some time working on some self-indulgent side project stuff like they used to (Passengers, MDH).  Stuff that they could mentally take the pressure off producing hits and selling out tours.  Maybe thatís not what interests them but it interests me.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »

Thanks for the info, wons. I didn't realize their recent touring added up to that many shows. Not sure the track record of other performers is very relevant to what U2 is still capable of, but U2's own stats certainly are.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »
I don't see any reason that currently exists besides Larry's back - and that certainly could be a factor - why they would slow down. Sure, a year completely off, but that's par for the course.

I think these guys could not only do a full tour schedule, but they could party while doing it.

I think these guys would enjoy a year off and then they would be drawn back to more songwriting. They all love it (even Larry).

Bono has so much energy it's absurd to think of him "retiring." He'd go insane and his wife would kill him and we'd all be sharing our fond memories. He's juggling three or four all-consuming careers because he can't not.

Edge is not quite the same, but in a different way, he too "can't not." This is a calling, and one with enormous rewards of all types.

Could something happen to change things? Of course. But such a thing hasn't happened yet.

Guys. Just think of a bored, retired Bono. I shudder to think.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2018, 12:16:20 PM »
I don't see any reason that currently exists besides Larry's back - and that certainly could be a factor - why they would slow down. Sure, a year completely off, but that's par for the course.

I think these guys could not only do a full tour schedule, but they could party while doing it.

I think these guys would enjoy a year off and then they would be drawn back to more songwriting. They all love it (even Larry).

Bono has so much energy it's absurd to think of him "retiring." He'd go insane and his wife would kill him and we'd all be sharing our fond memories. He's juggling three or four all-consuming careers because he can't not.

Edge is not quite the same, but in a different way, he too "can't not." This is a calling, and one with enormous rewards of all types.

Could something happen to change things? Of course. But such a thing hasn't happened yet.

Guys. Just think of a bored, retired Bono. I shudder to think.

Very true, esp. about Bono. He does have incredible energy; he has packed enough accomplishments into his life for at least three normal men. Though I think it has taken a toll on him physically. Hope he doesn't wear his body out and leave us before he should.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2018, 12:40:27 PM »
He has definitely put his body through the wringer.

But he keeps popping back up again, a little worse for the wear but fundamentally intact and ready to fight another day.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »
So does anyone actually have any ideas on stage design? I think weíve established itíll be called the wheelchair tour

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2018, 02:54:18 PM »

With regard to their touring future, I would like to see them take a break and spend some time working on some self-indulgent side project stuff like they used to (Passengers, MDH).  Stuff that they could mentally take the pressure off producing hits and selling out tours.  Maybe thatís not what interests them but it interests me.

I would not like to see another Passengers or MDH. Hopefully, a new great album with a full scale world tour to promote it by 2021/2022.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2018, 08:59:06 PM »
Trolls thatís all Iím going to say.

Maybe u2 can hang themselves from the ceiling and swing around the room. ďSongs of AscentĒ

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
What do you think the next tour will be like?
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2018, 08:08:46 PM »
On Rushís farewell tour they had an opening animation of Alex Lifeson coming on stage in a wheelchair before the stage lights came up and the band appeared.  And yes, people laughed!

They were making a joke about their age, just like 64AC30 was about U2s age here, as that had become a subtopic to the thread.

The idea that this is somehow making fun of or insensitive to people bound to a wheelchair is really one of the most ridiculous things Iíve heard.  In cartoons and movies and art of all kind wheelchairs and canes are used to connote someone as being elderly.  Iíve never seen anyone suggest that its insensitive to anyone who is paralyzed or had a stroke or anything else.  Iím pretty die-hard PC concerned person but even I see this as looking for a reason to be offended.  You have to take context into account.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:10:35 PM by Tortuga »

Moonstarsky

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2018, 08:57:15 PM »
On Rushís farewell tour they had an opening animation of Alex Lifeson coming on stage in a wheelchair before the stage lights came up and the band appeared.  And yes, people laughed!

They were making a joke about their age, just like 64AC30 was about U2s age here, as that had become a subtopic to the thread.

The idea that this is somehow making fun of or insensitive to people bound to a wheelchair is really one of the most ridiculous things Iíve heard.  In cartoons and movies and art of all kind wheelchairs and canes are used to connote someone as being elderly.  Iíve never seen anyone suggest that its insensitive to anyone who is paralyzed or had a stroke or anything else.  Iím pretty die-hard PC concerned person but even I see this as looking for a reason to be offended.  You have to take context into account.

I'm not a Rush fan, and have no idea who Alex Lifeson is.
However, him making fun of himself and other's laughing along at his self-joke, is funny. 
Having a laugh at U2's members age, (My age, and hubbies age), is fine, personally I see it as "I'm still here, and can probably out dance you even if your 30/40.
I didn't like Bono's blond hair during soi, etc and poking a little fun is fine, or his glasses.
So does that mean I'm suppose to stay quiet and not say something when I see my daughter being made fun of for being an intellectually and physically disabled adult daughter? Or am I suppose to turn away when I see a person in a wheelchair being mistreated? Or teased, or bullied? Cause I've seen it, and sorry I refuse to do that.

Thom Harnett - Civil Rights Attorney:
ONE PERSON SPEAKING UP MAKES MORE NOISE THAN 1000 PEOPLE WHO REMAIN SILENT!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:26:14 PM by Moonstarsky »

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2018, 10:35:31 PM »
So hereís what Iím thinking, the band walks out into the dead middle of the floor. But the stage ASCENDS up into a screen where they play all of Songs of Ascent. Then Bono descends on a bicycle back to the floor while the band plays above him.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2018, 09:22:22 AM »
I remember having some thoughtful, intelligent conversations on here. Not as much, these days.

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2018, 01:00:25 PM »

I'm not a Rush fan, and have no idea who Alex Lifeson is.
However, him making fun of himself and other's laughing along at his self-joke, is funny. 
Having a laugh at U2's members age, (My age, and hubbies age), is fine, personally I see it as "I'm still here, and can probably out dance you even if your 30/40.
I didn't like Bono's blond hair during soi, etc and poking a little fun is fine, or his glasses.
So does that mean I'm suppose to stay quiet and not say something when I see my daughter being made fun of for being an intellectually and physically disabled adult daughter? Or am I suppose to turn away when I see a person in a wheelchair being mistreated? Or teased, or bullied? Cause I've seen it, and sorry I refuse to do that.

Thom Harnett - Civil Rights Attorney:
ONE PERSON SPEAKING UP MAKES MORE NOISE THAN 1000 PEOPLE WHO REMAIN SILENT!

Of course you are not supposed to turn away in any of those situations but none of those things happened in this thread.  Nothing even remotely close.  What happened is what you described above that you were okay with.  Thus the confusion.

Offline EdTocino1

• Babyface
  • Out Loud Dreamer
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »
Can we please move on? A joke was made, without intend to harm anyone, but it accidently did, and it escalated beyond what it should have. Can we please realise nobody had intention to hurt someone else and go back to discussing the next tour?

"We need some release, release, release, we need love and peace"

Anyway, I know this would be impractical and won't happen, but it would be AWESOME imo to see U2 have the entire floor to themselves and interact with different visuals projected on the floor (Olympics opening ceremony style).