Author Topic: What do you think the next tour will be like?  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
Re: What do you think the next tour will be like?
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2018, 01:46:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can we please move on? A joke was made, without intend to harm anyone, but it accidently did, and it escalated beyond what it should have. Can we please realise nobody had intention to hurt someone else and go back to discussing the next tour?

"We need some release, release, release, we need love and peace"

Anyway, I know this would be impractical and won't happen, but it would be AWESOME imo to see U2 have the entire floor to themselves and interact with different visuals projected on the floor (Olympics opening ceremony style).

I just want a 4-piece band on a stage with house lights.  And an album that goes with it, stripped back, lots of guitar, and no Coldplay styled pads and whoa-ohs.  Do you guys really like the ramped up visual stuff that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2018, 05:53:35 PM »
Can we please move on? A joke was made, without intend to harm anyone, but it accidently did, and it escalated beyond what it should have. Can we please realise nobody had intention to hurt someone else and go back to discussing the next tour?

Anyway, I know this would be impractical and won't happen, but it would be AWESOME imo to see U2 have the entire floor to themselves and interact with different visuals projected on the floor (Olympics opening ceremony style).

I just want a 4-piece band on a stage with house lights.  And an album that goes with it, stripped back, lots of guitar, and no Coldplay styled pads and whoa-ohs.  Do you guys really like the ramped up visual stuff that much?

No I知 actually sick of all the screens. A dead center e stage with no visuals is what I want. They could do a portion of the show where they pick song requests from the audience.

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2018, 08:58:12 PM »

No I知 actually sick of all the screens. A dead center e stage with no visuals is what I want. They could do a portion of the show where they pick song requests from the audience.

It might be a very hard sell in an arena, let alone a stadium, for anybody higher than floor level seats - at the most basic level, screens allow folks higher up to actually see the people they're paying a lot of money to watch. I'd love for them to do club shows alongside more standard gigs. (Though frankly, the views I've gotten in GA on I+E and E+I beat what I've gotten at any club show I've gone to.)

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2018, 09:19:23 PM »

It might be a very hard sell in an arena, let alone a stadium, for anybody higher than floor level seats - at the most basic level, screens allow folks higher up to actually see the people they're paying a lot of money to watch. I'd love for them to do club shows alongside more standard gigs. (Though frankly, the views I've gotten in GA on I+E and E+I beat what I've gotten at any club show I've gone to.)

Yeah, I知 fine with big screens to show the band.  In a large venue they are a necessity.  I知 talking about all the other junk like cartoons etc and making the screen the center of the focus instead of the band.

Offline EdTocino1

• Babyface
  • Out Loud Dreamer
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2018, 11:33:06 AM »
I personally think that the screens help them tell the story in a much better way than they could without them. For me, U2 concerts are stories and journeys, especially the ie and ei tours (Until the End of the World being my favorite use of that screen). I feel like the setup for those tours was amazing, and that the screens enhance, rather than detract, from the band, although I can see how people would want a more personal intimate feeling. However, I also think that the band excels at stadium performances, and when in a stadium, you need a screen of some kind.

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2018, 02:03:08 PM »
I personally think that the screens help them tell the story in a much better way than they could without them. For me, U2 concerts are stories and journeys, especially the ie and ei tours (Until the End of the World being my favorite use of that screen). I feel like the setup for those tours was amazing, and that the screens enhance, rather than detract, from the band, although I can see how people would want a more personal intimate feeling. However, I also think that the band excels at stadium performances, and when in a stadium, you need a screen of some kind.

I suspect you are in the majority.  U2 is not dumb.  They are giving the people what they want.

I just find it odd to go to a concert and barely be able to see the band but there is a huge screen in the middle of the venue and instead of using it to help me see the band they池e showing what is basically an 80s style music video.   I can buy that on a dvd if I want it.

I also enjoy music more as an art form that leaves interpretation open to the listener.  The more literal you make it the more trite and cheesy it becomes.  I guess what you see as a story and a concept I see as Bono over-explaining the song.   The music loses its power and elegance.

I know they can稚 please everybody.  It just seems like it becomes more of a big production to justify the high ticket prices that names like U2 can pull off.   They want people to feel like they got their money痴 worth so they make sure and haul in some expensive hardware and put a bunch of cheesy cartoons up there.