Author Topic: U2's Irish Accents -- or Lack Thereof  (Read 1346 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
Re: U2's Irish Accents -- or Lack Thereof
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 12:28:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It strikes me that "Dublin, Ireland" has a really nice meter, it rolls off the tongue in a way "Los Angeles, California" doesn't quite. I don't think there's a lick of confusion over where Dublin is (and nobody outside of Ohio is thinking of Ohio). I wouldn't be surprised if performers sometimes said "Hello Houston, Texas!" even though there's no confusion over the location of Houston. Also, adding the larger location (Ireland, Texas, etc.) sounds even more inclusive, welcoming a whole area instead of just the city.

I have noticed Bono's y'alls and such, and it's cute but it doesn't pass for real American speech. I'm American and I can't pull off y'all either (though sometimes I say it - lived a few years in North Carolina). Just as we Americans mangle an Irish accent, the Irish can mangle an American accent. When they pretended to be the Dalton Brothers, Bono's accent was soooo laughably fake.

I would say he is successful with his American vocabulary, though. Very successful.

Most Irish are very good at wordplay and accents. Coincidentally, I say Ireland as OurLan the way many Irish do. When I say this in North America numerous times people think I'm saying Arlen, Texas. I just can't bring myself to say Ayreland the way many North Americans pronounce it.

The Dalton Bros thing was done with humour so I would leave that one alone!

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 01:45:31 PM »
Fair enough! The Dalton Brothers was a joke, not a serious attempt at American speech. But, in case anyone wondered - it didn't pass off! Lol

Offline derm

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 04:11:04 AM »
I have to say 'OurLan' is new to me

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 09:37:06 AM »
Speak it and it might make sense.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 10:38:56 AM »
I considered training myself into OurLan but I think adopting accents probably doesn't go over well so I should keep my Northeast American accent and butcher the pronounciation of Aye-er-land like my fellow Americans.

Because, while I can say OurLan, it won't sound right to you.

Btw do you say "Eireann" like OurLan or is it said differently?

Offline derm

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 01:43:51 PM »
Speak it and it might make sense.

Sorry no I'm still not getting it.
Maybe its my Wexford accent    ;D

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 12:00:23 AM »
Adam was born in England and has always had an English accent, but he lives in Brazil now.
Edge was born in Wales and has always had a Welsh accent, but he lives in California now.
The Irish and American accents have blend very closely, and now that Bono lives mostly in New York, his accent has shifted a bit.
Larry is the only Irish band member who still sounds Irish because he's the only one who still lives in Ireland.
Their accents are going to change depending on where they are. It happens, and it's not a bad thing. I've lived abroad and my accent has changed because of it. It's actually a good thing; it means you are trying new things.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:20:39 PM by ian ryan »

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 05:47:20 AM »
Edge was born in England, not Wales. And moved to Ireland as a baby.

Offline daveyg

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 08:20:26 AM »

yeh he was born in Essex. And NEVER had a Welsh accent. Thank God! :)

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 09:09:33 AM »
I knew that Bono lives in New York part time, and Edge in California part time. Didnít realize Adam spends time in Brazil though I knew his wife is Brazilian. However, donít all of them still have their principal residence in Ireland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 02:19:17 PM »

Ah, my mistake. His parents are Welsh, that's where I got confused.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 01:12:08 PM »
Adam was born in England and has always had an English accent, but he lives in Brazil now.
Edge was born in Wales and has always had a Welsh accent, but he lives in California now.
The Irish and American accents have blend very closely, and now that Bono lives mostly in New York, his accent has shifted a bit.

He? I didn't know that Adam lives in Brazil.. I think he and his wife live in London.
Also I don't think Bono lives mostly in NY. In the summer the family lives in Eze, South of France.
I think the family stayed in NY for 2 years or so, when the had some construction work at their Killiney house. This was in 2006 or so.
But I remember an interview of last year where Bono said that he has a feeling of what a home is when he is in Irland.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2018, 09:50:51 PM »

He? I didn't know that Adam lives in Brazil.. I think he and his wife live in London.
Also I don't think Bono lives mostly in NY. In the summer the family lives in Eze, South of France.
I think the family stayed in NY for 2 years or so, when the had some construction work at their Killiney house. This was in 2006 or so.
But I remember an interview of last year where Bono said that he has a feeling of what a home is when he is in Irland.

My basic point is that accents donít behave according to where you associate a person being from. I was born in America, but Iím also an English citizen, and Iíve spent a lot of time living in Spain. Iíve had a number of people ask me where my accent is from, even though I live in the state I was born in. Itís hard to define an accent based on where a person lives or where they were born. Accents adapt to where a person is.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:54:42 PM by ian ryan »

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2018, 02:21:09 PM »

Ah, my mistake. His parents are Welsh, that's where I got confused.

Edge is technically an Essex boy - he was born in Barking (which is now part of Metropolitan London, but was in the county of Essex when Edge was born).  This puts him in common with the Bard of Barking, Mr Billy Bragg (who was also born there).

It's just as well Edge moved to Ireland when he was very young because if his parents left it too long,  we'd be hearing him say 'Daablin' and 'Norfsyde' and 'Mahnt Tempull'.

Phew.  I rest my case.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2018, 03:26:30 PM »
God, he'd be barking mad.