Author Topic: U2's Irish Accents -- or Lack Thereof  (Read 1345 times)

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
Re: U2's Irish Accents -- or Lack Thereof
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2018, 09:09:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Adam was born in England and has always had an English accent, but he lives in Brazil now.
Edge was born in Wales and has always had a Welsh accent, but he lives in California now.
The Irish and American accents have blend very closely, and now that Bono lives mostly in New York, his accent has shifted a bit.

He? I didn't know that Adam lives in Brazil.. I think he and his wife live in London.
Also I don't think Bono lives mostly in NY. In the summer the family lives in Eze, South of France.
I think the family stayed in NY for 2 years or so, when the had some construction work at their Killiney house. This was in 2006 or so.
But I remember an interview of last year where Bono said that he has a feeling of what a home is when he is in Irland.

My basic point is that accents donít behave according to where you associate a person being from. I was born in America, but Iím also an English citizen, and Iíve spent a lot of time living in Spain. Iíve had a number of people ask me where my accent is from, even though I live in the state I was born in. Itís hard to define an accent based on where a person lives or where they were born. Accents adapt to where a person is.

Yes this is true, I have lived in quite a few different countries growing up and have had various accents although most people detected a hint of the country that I was in before and would ask, there was always something a little different probably based on my parents accent.  Theirs never seemed to change much.  Funny because when I travel overseas without fail people pick my accent as Australian, whereas people in Australia detect that there is something else in there.

Offline DaleAnny

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2018, 02:45:07 PM »
Hello guys!
I`m new here and I`m here because I`m writing a graduation paper for my master`s degree and it is devoted to U2 and the cultural features in the language of their lyrics.
I see that you are discussing the accents here, so here is my request to you (you are much more experts in U2 and in language than I am, so I would be grateful to you if you could help me): is there any songs where the Irish culture and Irish history is well seen in the language?
Thank you so much in advance !

Offline MissSarajevo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2018, 03:36:21 PM »
All I can think of are references to places in Dublin such as Cedarwood Road and Seven Towers (Running to Stand Still)

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 12:52:49 AM »
An Cat Dubh (song title) is in Irish. Gloria has lines in Latin (Catholic connection).

Sunday Bloody Sunday refers to Irish history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DaleAnny

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 12:42:10 PM »
MissSarajevo, Luzita, thanks a lot!