Author Topic: Bands you'd like to introduce to everyone  (Read 377 times)

Moonstarsky

Bands you'd like to introduce to everyone
« on: August 22, 2018, 06:55:03 PM »
I came across this band the other night at a concert,  they were the opening band and I thought I'd share with you folks.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

They're called Le Butcherettes! The above link is a bunch of videos of theirs, with at least 1 featuring Iggy Pop.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
Re: Bands you'd like to introduce to everyone
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:08:36 AM »
They're not around anymore, but The Catherine Wheel.  I thought they were criminally overlooked in the '90s.  Started out with this ambient, wall-of-sound, vibe with their first album Ferment (which is one of my top 10-15 favorite albums).  Then they went for a progressively harder sound as the decade went on.  They were fronted by Rob Dickinson, who is Bruce Dickinson's cousin.  I think all their albums are solid, with the exception of their last one.  In particular Ferment and Chrome are incredible.

Here's probably their best-known song, which I would also consider one of my top 10 favorite songs of all time.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 06:04:54 PM »
Everyone knows Simple Minds because of their hits, but go on YouTube and look up "This Fear of Gods", "Love Song", and "Today I Die Again".  Really brilliant stuff and ahead of its time.

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 06:50:35 PM »
They're not around anymore, but The Catherine Wheel.  I thought they were criminally overlooked in the '90s.  Started out with this ambient, wall-of-sound, vibe with their first album Ferment (which is one of my top 10-15 favorite albums).  Then they went for a progressively harder sound as the decade went on.  They were fronted by Rob Dickinson, who is Bruce Dickinson's cousin.  I think all their albums are solid, with the exception of their last one.  In particular Ferment and Chrome are incredible.

Here's probably their best-known song, which I would also consider one of my top 10 favorite songs of all time.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I really like that track.  Thanks for sharing.  This is the kind of thread I come to a forum like this for.  To talk about MUSIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moonstarsky

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 10:23:21 PM »
This is a local band for me.

They're called The Damn Truth, I absolutely love the remake they did of U2's Love Is Blindness, sung by a female lead singer with a salty voice.

Moonstarsky

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 06:31:31 AM »
I like this band, but love this song: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login it's Automatic by Mondo Cozmo.  It kinda reminds me of U2. 

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 11:19:54 PM »
I have quite a few of these. 

First up: Ho-Hum

This band is local to me.  They never had that big a following even for a local band, but they were always very well respected, landing high on lists of the best bands in town.  They are not my favorite band from around here, but they are the most traditional rock band I'd like to include here.  They started out as a pop rock band and moved into more experimental territory later in their career. 

Here's my favorite song of their's, Don't Move to City.  It was released in 1997 on the album entitled Sanduleak, which I think is their best record.  Every song on it is good.

Here's a more experimental one:

My top 20 Ho-Hum songs:
1. Don't Move to the City
2. Pretty Ugly
3. I'm-a-Waking Up
4. Good to Get to Know
5. Things Like That are a Drag
6. Exit Strategy
7. Fake Pop Minefield
8. He Married a Girl from Mississippi
9. Too Much Elbow Room
10. Ladyboy
11. Bad Things
12. The Mother Factor
13. Ordinary People
14. 26 Hour Blues
15. You Know How Lonely Goes
16. Let's Do
17. Handheld
18. Rendezvousoo
19. The Ax
20. A Heart of Stone

If the songs I linked caught your ear and you'd like to check this band out, I'd start by listening to their album Sanduleak.

Here's their Spotify: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 02:01:47 PM »

Lee Bains III and The Glory Fires from Birmingham, AL. 

Recently signed to Sub Pop.  Seen them in the UK twice and then in a secret gig with p**** Riot the other weekend.  Pure. Punk. Rock.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 05:56:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  I think Ho-HUm should look at a new band name.  Doesn't do them justice.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 06:02:24 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen...Heilung:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 09:30:19 AM »
Sleigh bells

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • Are you tough enough to be kind?
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 03:40:59 PM »
Everyone knows Simple Minds because of their hits, but go on YouTube and look up "This Fear of Gods", "Love Song", and "Today I Die Again".  Really brilliant stuff and ahead of its time.

Yeah Ive only recently become familiar with the back log of Simple Minds and love so much of their stuff.

Offline BurningDownLove

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 03:51:50 PM »

Yeah Ive only recently become familiar with the back log of Simple Minds and love so much of their stuff.

What are some of your favorites? I LOVE all of Once Upon a Time but have been wanting to listen to more of their good lesser-known stuff.