Author Topic: Why do we hold out our hands?  (Read 572 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Why do we hold out our hands?
« on: August 27, 2018, 08:01:42 PM »
During a concert, if we're really feeling it, we hold up our hands and turn the palms toward the stage, like plants to the sun.

I do this, all the fans do this. Why? It feels right, but why?

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
Re: Why do we hold out our hands?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 09:49:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
During a concert, if we're really feeling it, we hold up our hands and turn the palms toward the stage, like plants to the sun.

I don’t do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moonstarsky

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 05:38:54 AM »

I don’t do this.

Nor do I, or anybody I know. We mainly dance in place, and sing along to every word.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 05:52:22 AM »
Boy, I walked right into that one!

I do see people doing it though. And not just a few. No, not all the time, but when things are really hitting a high.

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 05:56:31 AM »
Boy, I walked right into that one!

I do see people doing it though. And not just a few. No, not all the time, but when things are really hitting a high.

I see people doing it but I don’t know why they do it.  I also see people do it at church.  Maybe they’re mainly the ones doing it at a U2 show.  Its like a reaching up to God thing?

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 06:14:59 AM »
Ah, the church thing. I'm not religious, and my background is in stiff Catholic masses, no catching the spirit with our hands there! But yeah that seems related for sure.

So is it a shared cultural gesture, or is there anything natural/intuitive about it? Our hands do seem to be regarded as a conduit of the body. For example, magic without wands is depicted as going out of the fingers (a la Palpatine) or even a wand is still an extension of our hands.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 02:39:02 PM »
Interesting question. People do seem to do that a lot at U2 concerts but not as much at other bands’ concerts. What do you guys think? Is it a particularly U2 thing?

In the Charismatic tradition, people pray by holding out their hands to the heavens, so I guess it’s especially apt at a U2 concert since Bono, Edge, and Larry are Charismatic Christians (or were anyway). Maybe the Charismatics in the audience would do that and it became a thing for U2 fans in general?

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 04:05:42 PM »
Interesting question. People do seem to do that a lot at U2 concerts but not as much at other bands’ concerts. What do you guys think? Is it a particularly U2 thing?

In the Charismatic tradition, people pray by holding out their hands to the heavens, so I guess it’s especially apt at a U2 concert since Bono, Edge, and Larry are Charismatic Christians (or were anyway). Maybe the Charismatics in the audience would do that and it became a thing for U2 fans in general?

I think that is what it is.  The charismatic part of their fanbase introduced it.  IMHO there is an undeniable association between U2 and certain Christian believers.  I’ve seen people who don’t like that try to argue that its not true, especially back in the 90s, but its undeniable.

Moonstarsky

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 04:38:25 PM »

Not that I don't believe you, I'm sure you've experienced that at your U2 concerts. I've never seen that at any U2 concerts that I've been too. Weird.

Unless of course you're talking about when Bono gets really close to the audience, then yeah, everybody near by puts there hands up. Otherwise, I've only witnessed the reg arm raising, not a "Jesus" thing.

No idea, I bow out.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:48:21 PM by Moonstarsky »

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 07:13:57 PM »

Not that I don't believe you, I'm sure you've experienced that at your U2 concerts. I've never seen that at any U2 concerts that I've been too. Weird.

Unless of course you're talking about when Bono gets really close to the audience, then yeah, everybody near by puts there hands up. Otherwise, I've only witnessed the reg arm raising, not a "Jesus" thing.

No idea, I bow out.
What do you mean by “reg arm raising”? How is that different from people raising their arm with their hand open?

Moonstarsky

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 10:13:29 PM »

No idea, I bow out.
What do you mean by “reg arm raising”? How is that different from people raising their arm with their hand open?

My own personal experience has been when you see the arm raising open palm towards the sun, it's the praise Jesus thing, (nothing wrong with that.)  I've never seen it done,  not even at my church.

That's all it means, nothing else, that is my own personal experience. It isn't a statement of shouldn't be done, or different from what should be done, or don't do that. It's just my experience, that's all, just trying to understand it.

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 06:14:40 AM »

No idea, I bow out.

My own personal experience has been when you see the arm raising open palm towards the sun, it's the praise Jesus thing, (nothing wrong with that.)  I've never seen it done,  not even at my church.

That's all it means, nothing else, that is my own personal experience. It isn't a statement of shouldn't be done, or different from what should be done, or don't do that. It's just my experience, that's all, just trying to understand it.

That first paragraph is confusing.  Your personal experience when you’ve seen something done is that....but you’ve never seen it done.  Seems impossible to have a personal experience seeing something that you’ve never seen.  Its like if I said my personal experience seeing a tornado was that I was scared to death.  But I’ve never seen a tornado.

I’m also curious what you meant by “reg” arm raising.  Did that just mean “regular”?

Anyway, maybe its the church thing maybe its something some people just instinctively do.  Apparently that is the case for Laoghaire.  I think you would just have to ask each person who does it.  I speculated that its the church thing but that’s far from a known.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 06:20:56 AM »
No idea, I bow out.

Why? Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

Moonstarsky

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 07:52:35 AM »

No idea, I bow out.

That first paragraph is confusing.  Your personal experience when you’ve seen something done is that....but you’ve never seen it done.  Seems impossible to have a personal experience seeing something that you’ve never seen.  Its like if I said my personal experience seeing a tornado was that I was scared to death.  But I’ve never seen a tornado.

I’m also curious what you meant by “reg” arm raising.  Did that just mean “regular”?

Anyway, maybe its the church thing maybe its something some people just instinctively do.  Apparently that is the case for Laoghaire.  I think you would just have to ask each person who does it.  I speculated that its the church thing but that’s far from a known.

Okay, let me be clear, I've been to 6 U2 concerts, the last one was 360. In the 6 I've been too, I have never seen the arms in praise. I've seen arms up aplauding, or swinging to a song, or trying to catch something that a band member is offering up to the audience, or waving as the singer is close to you etc, or seen band member's waving bye bye, or waving at you, blowing kisses etc. That's my experience,  it doesn't mean it's not done, or hasn't been done. It just means that I haven't seen that at any concert I've been too, U2 or other.

I'm Greek Orthodox (yes my maiden last name has over 10 letters in it.) I have never seen that done, in my religion. My husband is Catholic, he's never seen it done in his religion. That's all I'm saying, that WE my husband and myself have never seen that done. That is all. It's not an opinion, it's just our experience.

I bow out of this, because I've never seen that, and therefore can not form an opinion on something I've never seen or heard about happening at a U2 concert til yesterday. 

That's it, no evil plot, no conspiracy theory, etc. Simply I can't form an opinion on something I've never experienced.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:32:17 AM by Moonstarsky »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 09:12:15 AM »
I do it to prove to others in the arena that I'm standing, lest they be mad at me from their spot in GA along the rail that someone somewhere else isn't enjoying the concert the right way, thereby making them feel bad and not enjoy it as much themselves.  I also shout "hey I'm standing, hey I'm standing, hey I'm standing!!"