Author Topic: Happy Birthday The Blackout  (Read 476 times)

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
Happy Birthday The Blackout
« on: August 29, 2018, 10:51:22 PM »
1 year ago (8/30) we got the Blackout! How has the song changed over time for you? Do you feel the same as when you first heard it?

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
Re: Happy Birthday The Blackout
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 05:25:23 AM »
Nope. I was pretty excited when I first heard it; it was a mess, which I liked. Now I think it's missing stuff.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 07:51:17 AM »
I wanted more from it. It's got potential that was never fully realised in either version.

Online Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 07:55:34 AM »
Its boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 12:13:48 PM »
I liked it a lot and found that it kicked a## live!

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 03:52:49 PM »
My daughter's favorite song this year.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 06:55:36 PM »
I'm late but happy birthday "you're the best thing about me"! Lyric vid came out on yt 6 Sept 2017.

I marked the start of fall with that tune. Then U2 played Best Thing on Fallon, then live for the first time when I was at their Indy gig. That was all I needed to feel sated for seeing the band live.

Seemed like such a long time ago for me.

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 03:10:27 PM »
Been a fan since 1980.

Didn't like it all upon fist seeing the video.
Often skipped it on the CD.
Seeing/hearing it live made me love it.
Especially good San Jose 2.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 04:20:36 AM »
Initially, when the video came out before the album was released, I was pumped for the record and this song in particular sounded as if it was going to rock!

I then found difficulty in getting as excited about it, when the album was released, as I felt the mixing on the studio recording sounded a bit more subdued and that it lacked the same sort of punch as before.

However, after multiple listens of the track, it is now one of my favourites from the album and sounds like it is back to its rocking best when played live too so I'm quite excited to see this played live later on this year on the E+I Tour  8)

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 11:20:06 PM »
I am not a fan of the limp-sounding studio version, but I like the video version (which I made into an mp3) a lot since the crowd noise gives it more a live feel, which it makes it sound way more rocking, and there are a few other subtle differences that make that version better as well. 

rockatansky

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 07:39:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am not a fan of the limp-sounding studio version, but I like the video version (which I made into an mp3) a lot since the crowd noise gives it more a live feel, which it makes it sound way more rocking, and there are a few other subtle differences that make that version better as well.

Agreed.  Not one of my favorite tracks on SOE.  But the studio version seems weak when compared to the video version.  I couldn't find any decent sound quality videos from actual concerts.  So, don't know what the track is like played in a real concert setting.  I assume the video version was setup to feel and sound live (which it does) but wanted to hear a real concert track.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 08:40:35 AM »
So, don't know what the track is like played in a real concert setting.

It was just a lot thicker live. The drums would punch you in the chest, it felt like there was more going on guitar-wise. You got enveloped in the sound. It kicked your ass.

Hard to describe, but compare Bullet live vs the album.

Last weekend, heard it played VERY LOUD on car stereo speakers, and it actually was an improvement over the earbuds, which usually offer a higher quality listen. I think this song is just meant to be LOUD.

rockatansky

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 09:17:05 AM »
So, don't know what the track is like played in a real concert setting.

It was just a lot thicker live. The drums would punch you in the chest, it felt like there was more going on guitar-wise. You got enveloped in the sound. It kicked your ass.

Hard to describe, but compare Bullet live vs the album.

Last weekend, heard it played VERY LOUD on car stereo speakers, and it actually was an improvement over the earbuds, which usually offer a higher quality listen. I think this song is just meant to be LOUD.

I wish I could find a concert version of the track on the internet.  All I can find is amateur video and horrible sound.  Did you see them live performing the song?  Or, do you know where I can find a decent concert video featuring the song?

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 09:39:48 AM »
I saw them live. The performance of this particular song live converted my kid to casual fan status. She said the song went to the center of her brain or something.

I have not heard any good quality audio of any song on this tour. I assume we'll get a concert DVD with great audio from the mixing desk... someday.