Author Topic: Berlin 2 cancelled  (Read 3566 times)

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
Re: Berlin 2 cancelled
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 07:16:26 AM »
Good job, Mrs zoo!  8)

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 07:27:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They’ve amended the article!

Shared from Sky News: U2 cancel Berlin gig after Bono loses his voice You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
so proud of u protecting Bono's non-diva rep!

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 07:32:18 AM »
Mrs. Zoo, you have officially done Bono a solid.

(I don't know if that saying translates well. It means a big deed or favor).

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 07:46:27 AM »
I watched the video and feel better. Bono seemed well, just had problems singing well. He was obviously unhappy and all of that but not physically ill other than perhaps mucus buildup or something. His speech was not slurred nor did he have total vocal loss (could talk, just not sing well). I think our man is physically fine, just needs to figure out if he reacted to the smoke or what.

The audience was wonderful. They sang for him. They cheered him on when he said he'd try to take 10 or 15 minutes to see if he could get it back.

Glad the record was corrected thanks to Mrs. Zoo. Jeez, the guy was anything but a prima donna, he wanted so badly to deliver a great show and clearly felt awful about the whole thing.

You could see Bono signaling to the other lads to not just roll into the next song but they were already on the same wavelength - short little wave from Edge when he plays the final note, and Adam and Larry had already had meaningful eye contact. They are a great band.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 09:02:23 AM »
Love and prayers to Bono for a speedy recovery. 

I know he wants to give all he possibly can to a show, so if his voice began to recover- his mental and emotional energy may lack.  I was not there, but from footage I have seen he looked shattered by what had happened, and clearly needed to recompose himself.

One thing I have noticed from footage online is at the end of Lights of Home there has been a subtle production change.
Look at Mohegan Sun on 3 July, and you will see that when Bono gets to the e-stage for the 'Free Yourself' coda, he walks around singing in clear air.
Fast forward to Berlin 1 and 2 (as it was) and you will see....clouds of smoke from the dry ice machine at the e-stage when Bono arrives to sing the 'Free Yourself' coda.  Particularly on night 1, the clouds are starting to billow and Bono is getting shrouded in smoke.  On night 2, the smoke is still there, but actually the machine doesn't seem to be turned up so much. Still, Bono is a short enough guy to become shrouded in the smoke.
If you look at footage from Berlin 1, Bono is struggling a bit with Red Flag Day (particularly the soaring harmony in the chorus), but makes it through.
So my thought and suggestion would be that they dispose of the smoke machine during the coda of Lights of Home.  Bono is not a diva and doesn't demand perfect singing conditions.  Although unlike some singers who can carry on through a dry ice machine, Bono can't always.  His voice is quite fragile at times and as we know he is the kind of singer that gives 101% every night and it can't always be easy in your late 50s.

Anyway...sorry to be critical of Bono here...but Berlin 1, with all Bono's heartfelt actions (particularly the twirl when he gets on to the e-stage) and that dry ice machine, the end of Lights of Home was starting to look like Cliff Richard performing his Christmas No 1 hits on TOTP...Cliff was never one to eschew a dry ice machine lets face it.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 09:16:35 AM »
We know that Bono has had sinus issues since forever and they interfered with his singing even when he was in his 20s. He had surgery for it in the late 90s. Hope this is just the old issue and not anything new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 11:36:36 AM »
Here's to a full recovery. Get well soon, Bono.

And if that would mean further cancellations, please don't worry too much about that. Health is more important.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2018, 12:08:10 PM »
I've seen Bono have major angst when he misses a note, so I'm sure this is devastating for him.  Everyone, lift him up as we do in concert.

Offline MrsZoo

• Babyface
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2018, 12:24:40 PM »
Wishing Bono all the best and hope he’s resting up. i can’t help thinking how scary it must be for him. His voice is his living, his life, and the band have loads of concert dates looming. Must be stressful for the whole U2 organisation.

I’m shocked Sky TV read my email, let alone corrected the article, so fair play to them.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2018, 01:12:36 PM »
Get well soon better too rest now then make your self worse

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2018, 01:24:05 PM »
Tough to watch........would be the worst feeling for Bono...

Well done to the crowd for being so understanding in handling the disappointment.
We're a compassionate lot....... U2 fans

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2018, 01:49:00 PM »
Back On Song, Back To Berlin

"I've seen a great doctor and with his care I’ll be back to full voice for the rest of the tour. So happy and relieved that anything serious has been ruled out. My relief is tempered by the knowledge that the Berlin audience were so inconvenienced. There was an amazing atmosphere in the house, it was going to be one of those unforgettable nights but not for this reason… We can’t wait to get back there on November 13th." - Bono

-------------------------------------

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2018, 06:57:53 PM »
This has all been handled extremely well, from the moment on stage when it happened through to a quick announcement of a new date, even Bono making it clear to fans they would be back another time if it couldn't continue. The crowd took it really well and tried to help him so much. And the band were right on top of what was going on. Just hope this is a one-off type thing and he gets enough rest before the next concert, even if they need to cancel another one and re-schedule it.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2018, 08:04:12 PM »
So glad to hear that Bono is ok. He must have been so worried and stressed that his voice had gone completely! He must feel gutted that they had to cancel the show. It's good that they've arranged another date for Berlin so quickly. I hope Bono's voice returns and he doesn't have further problems with it. He's such a trooper, dear ole Bono. Best of luck to him and the band. :)

Offline kps88

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2018, 01:10:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This has all been handled extremely well, from the moment on stage when it happened through to a quick announcement of a new date, even Bono making it clear to fans they would be back another time if it couldn't continue. The crowd took it really well and tried to help him so much. And the band were right on top of what was going on. Just hope this is a one-off type thing and he gets enough rest before the next concert, even if they need to cancel another one and re-schedule it.

Yup. Well done to the band and management.

I remember The Killers had to go off towards the end of a show earlier this year because Brandon had voice issues and it was handled terribly. They left just before Mr. Brightside without a proper explanation and the crowd were not happy. People started to speculate that they left early because they weren't happy with the audience. This has been handled very well in comparison.